Why don't vets treat fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are some. But there are a lot more people willing to dish out the dough for
Fluffy and Buck than Nemo the clownfish :(

Well... we wind up paying more from getting bad advice from the LFS. It just doesn't make sense to me!

I'm considering being a fish vet when I grow up. Or a horse breeder and trainer and shower. Lol.

No offence but this thread is a little ridicoulos. There are places where you can get fish vets and its the aquariums. You can buy all the stuff needed and everything for something that they fish may have. Or natural remidies, vets do not do this because how are you meant to get the fish there, examiane it and then give it a diagnosis. Just buy what you need from the stores and research how to fix it.
But still its just MHO

For one, it would be considered a specialty with quite a bit of liability involved. Two, fish medicine is never a definite in terms of precise disease protocol (professional vs. hobby), prognosis, conditioning of the animal, and treatment. Ethical situations may also arise if an animal needs to be humanely put down (fish aren't regulated as thoroughly as mammals). To make things worse, laboratory grade/quantities of medications required would be a substantial cost to the the consumer.

Well, I'm not so confused as to why they don't treat them I guess... Just be able to give reasonable advice. Ya know?

Yeah. It would be kinda hard to do surgery on a zebra Danio...

But I wish that they could at least give advice about it and stuff.

Aquatic veteranarians normally work for zoos and fish farms. The reason being most fish are pretty easy to replace and not many people hold the same sentimental attachments with their favorite tetra as with their trusted dog. Although I'd be really upset if one of my koi got sick. All and all it's a really narrow profession and there's more money to be made else where.

It would work if they did house calls, but that would increase the cost dramatically. There are people that sort of do this already, the businesses that do in-home maintenance on tanks (seems to be more common with SW) will often do diagnosis and treatment on the stock.

Back
Top Bottom