Why go bowfront?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enki

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have noticed bowfronts have really become the thing to have, everybody is getting them and everybody is selling them.

Why do people love the bowfronts so much?

Is there some advantage to the bowfront that I am missing? Why are they so popular?

I personally don't want one. Something about curved glass doesn't sit well in my mind, and even if hundreds swear it doesn't, I still can't help but think it'll distort the view of my fish.

I have a 46 bowfront that was given to me by a friend. They are more of a "show" tank, which is part of what makes them so much more expensive. I personally love the way they look, but would npt have shelled out the extra money to buy one. They don't distort the fish at all, IMO, but that's only my opinion.

I'm kinda with ferret. Curved just doesn't sound all that great to me either. Not that I wouldn't take a free one in a heartbeat. :D

It's a slight curve that just adds to the visual appeal. I have 2 (46 and a 72). I love them. they do distort a tiny bit when right up next to the glass but doesn't interfere with photography at all. They are a little more difficult to light but not too bad. For a stand alone tank, withought a wall mounting or specialized canopy, there is no better. my opinion of course :wink:

I like the bow look, it does not noticably distort anything. It gives a great appearance and give a bit more room to put rocks in the middle.

You have the next level from the bowfront and tats the corner bow front tank. They have a larger bend in the front.

If your looking directly into the tank they dont distort but if you look across the bow the view is a bit confusing. At least to me.

The bow does give you slightly more surface area per gal and with more surface area you have more space inside the tank for decorations.

my problem with say, a 72g bow front, is that same footprint, 48x18, is also a 75g or 90g. most likely for much cheaper, i might add. i like bowfronts, i do, theyre very attractive, but for the cost of a 72g bow i can buy a 90g and some equipment for it. now oceanic makes a 30g cube, that id almost shell out the money for. :mrgreen:

*edited because 6 year olds spell better than me*

For a show tank, the larger bowfronts cant be beat, and the fish seem to have more swim room while still being able to use ALOT of rock in the tank. That to me is the nicest advantage. Full reefwall at the back and room for activity in the front.

There may be the added space up front but the extra you spend on the curved glass you can just buy a bigger tank and get way more room.

Cause it's new and I gotta have one!!! Proud owner of a 26 bow.This is my second tank and i love it. It does distort a little but after awhile you don't evennotice anymore.

There may be the added space up front but the extra you spend on the curved glass you can just buy a bigger tank and get way more room.

Not everyone has room for a bigger tank, mine is a 175. I like the bowfront and how it looks....isnt that the reason we buy things? To be aesthetically pleasing? Just like a bay window, you dont need one, but they sure look beautiful, yet any ole pane of glass lets light in.

from all glass' website:

footprint": gallons type (height")
48x18: 72 bow(22) 75 std(20) 90 std(24)
72x24: 155 bow(24) 180 std(24)

the 46g and smaller tanks did not have an appropriate match. in that the bowfronts where 15" deep and standards either 12" or 18".

im not saying dont get a bowfront if you can afford them. its just how much more tank you can get for less. im interested in starting a saltwater tank and would like one deeper than my current 55g's 12". 18" would be suitable for me, as i could put 6" of lr in back and still have 12" of open swim room. with all the money i would save not getting a bowfront i could buy a sump/fuge, all my lr, etc. even a 50 or 65 gallon (18" deep) tank would do. i guess that also explains why i eyed that 30g cube. :mrgreen:

isnt that the reason we buy things? To be aesthetically pleasing?
Not all the time. I buy aquariums for the joy of raising fish. I enjoy learning about them and breeding them. I do understand your point if you have them in a main living area but even then good quality equipment is more important than curved glass in my eyes.

I love my 26 gal bow-front simply because it is aesthetically pleasing. I'm eyeing the 46 gal bow-front with lust. Guess the trick is to put together enough cash to get both the bow front AND good quality equipment!!!

A couple months after I bought my 90 (regular), my wife actually went to the fish store with me. She saw the bowfronts and asked me why I didn't get one of those instead of my 90! Once she saw the prices for the tank and stand, she understood. Not to mention that I had to build my own canopy for the lighting I wanted, and my carpentry skills do not extend to making a bowfront canopy!

They are very pretty and eye-catching, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom