Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-20-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to rcjubei
Wish me luck.......well my fish really need it.

The little misses and myself are going out of town for the most part of four days, so I have placed my confidence in my father to feed my fish. 8O

I have read some of the horror stories about people leaving on vacation and returning to belly up fish in green water, so I have asked my father only to feed every other day (I am playing it safe). 8O Everything is on timers so I am hoping all will go smooooth. I didn't show him where any of the plant ferts were because I had a feeling he might want to be generous and give the cute little plants some extra food!

Wish my fish and tanks luck! May GOD speed.

Tank: 37 gallon glass tall fw
Canister Filter: Eheim classic 2213
Lighting:30 inch double lamp fixture, w/ 2-55/65w 6700k lights.
Substrate: Flora Base by Red Sea
Moderate Planted w/ tiger lotus & red tiger lotus, swords, hornwort, candian pondweed, creeping ludwigia,Anubias Nana
Anubias Afzelii (Narrow-leaved),Rotala sp. ''Nanjenshan'' Micro swords x2
Tank: 20 gal fw
Eclipse 3 Hood w/ bio wheel, 20 watts flourescent lighting
Substrate: 40lb eco-complete
Plants: 2-Anubias Nana, hornwort, tiger lotus
Old 05-20-2005, 10:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Good luck!!! And enjoy yourself on your trip!!!!
You can always prepare some dosages of food for the fish, and tell your dad to give that, and nothing more.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Your only going to be gone for 4 days??
IMO it would be safer to have no food... rather then too much.
When I leave for more then a 4-5 days, I just put the amount in zip lock bags that I want fed... that way I know they arent getting too much from someone thats not experienced. Thankfully the person that feeds my fish while Im gone has had fish before so she knows...
Four days with no food wouldnt hurt your fish. They can go far longer with no ill effects. You will just return to fish that are really happy to see you!
Old 05-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
If you are the least bit worried, skip the feeding while you are gone. I would not hesitate to leave my fish unfed for 4 days (just did a 4-day blackout for green water, fish right as rain). If it is going to be a week or more I have someone come every other day.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to flipz
I think if you are going to stick to the feeding it would be a great idea to get one of those 7-day pill things. Fill each with the food for that day, then you know your fish are safe!!
Come join the Ohio forum on AA!
Old 05-21-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I know how you feel, I leaving for 4 days too next weekend and my son is looking after the fish. That 7 day pill idea sounds like a good idea. I might just do that instead of having him feed the fish. Although someone still has to watch my house as I have 5 cats as well that will need to be fed. Good luck with your fish and have fun on your trip!

AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com