Wooden Canopy- is it safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neo79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I'm building a canopy using 5"x1" soft wood.

And using 10mm green MDF for lid.

Do I need to treat the timber or is it even to safe to use any of the above?

Thank you.

Not sure what you mean by soft wood. As for mdf I'd definitely treat it with a coat or two of urethane. It soaks up humidity really well. You definitely don't want mildew and structural issues down the road.

Personally, I'd coat all of them with a sealer. Both the soft wood and the MDF will absorb water, and there are not too many spots that have more water available in the air than on top of an aquarium. I've used softwoods (specifically pine) to build canopies, and it can be done, provided you get several good coats of a sealer on them to keep them from absorbing water. The MDF, I can't say, but I personally would be pretty hesitant to use it.

Neo79 said:
is urethane safe then for aquarium?

Once fully cured and dry urethane is fine. Used it to coat my canopy after staining. Everything is good after a year.

Sorry about 101 questions.
What I meant is it safe to use it for inside the canopy?
Water evaporates and may drip back in the tank and just want to make sure what is safe etc.

Yes, you will want to use it inside and out. Splashes of water can get up to the canopy from your filter. Protecting the outside is a good idea too so when you do water changes and splash around it won't damage the wood.

A couple coats of poly and you'll be good to go for years. It also makes cleaning it up easier as the dirt and gunk doesn't get down into the grain of the wood.

Thank you everyone.

I'll grab a tin tomorrow.

I'll do 3 coats. That should be enough then :)

If you haven't built the canopy yet, you may want to seal it before you do final assembly. Any spot where water can get in it will. Then give a couple of coats after it's put together.

Definately treat mdf as it will soak up water like a sponge and distort all over the place.I used 1/4" ply for the sheets and 1 1/2" x 1" supporting timber and it's held it's shape very well.I primed and used waterproof gloss for the inside in brilliant white which helped with light reflection as well.The outside I used a very pale varnish.I have pictures in my profile of the finished article.

Back
Top Bottom