Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar98 View Post

I have tried everythig. Im 15. And its bad haha. I usually lay down around 1130-1230 but dont fall asleep till 3-5
This is exactly me.
On the days I know I have school the next day, I don't sleep until 5..giving me one hour of sleep. But I'm on vacation so I'm sleeping whenever I feel like it haha! It's only 10 PM here, pretty early.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

Fish have a film that protect their eyes. Those clearish films close and they go into what you can call auto pilot basically and just move around to keep water flowing through their gills. So you can call it sleep if you'd like!
I wonder what it would be like if they could sleep with their eyelids closed..I can't imagine it somehow haha

Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforfish View Post

This is exactly me.
On the days I know I have school the next day, I don't sleep until 5..giving me one hour of sleep. But I'm on vacation so I'm sleeping whenever I feel like it haha! It's only 10 PM here, pretty early.
I wish it was 10pm here. I would have decided to sleep early
Old 07-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

I live on Oahu so I think I know the place. My Lfs encourages a fish in cycle so I guess it's better than nothing

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar98 View Post
Fish dont sleep. They go into a trance like mode i guess you could call it.
I thought they had a clear lid like an eye lid over there eyes, and it only 'goes on' for lack of a better term, when it's dark.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
I live on Oahu so I think I know the place. My Lfs encourages a fish in cycle so I guess it's better than nothing
What area do you live in?

Sadly, that store is the closest one nearby, and it's kinda sad because they're fairly new..maybe it's just that one employee.
Since you do live on Oahu, what fish stores do you recommend?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm in Oahu too. Anyone know a good place with good Saltwater fish? I bought a firefish at petco as I know of few places that sell these guys. I have visited the store in Aeia, but they didn't have the fish I wanted. Plus, their prices are sky high for equipment... The place that holds puppy swap meets didn't seem to have many saltwater, that I could remember at least.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon K.A View Post
I'm in Oahu too. Anyone know a good place with good Saltwater fish? I bought a firefish at petco as I know of few places that sell these guys. I have visited the store in Aeia, but they didn't have the fish I wanted. Plus, their prices are sky high for equipment... The place that holds puppy swap meets didn't seem to have many saltwater, that I could remember at least.
You could try Coral Place Hawaii (I think that's the name) in Aiea if you're trying to look for saltwater fish. It's two stories; downstairs is for sw fish and upstairs is for fw fish. The only thing is that I read that their stock is common, nothing rare or special, and the place is a bit dirty. You may just want to read the reviews on yelp.
What I do is search up "fish stores" on yelp that's located in Oahu. You could get a variety of choices, and read the reviews before you actually get there.

If you want a place that has a little more variety or a certain fish, you can do special orders at The Pet Depot in Ewa. I don't know how far it is from you, so it may be a little far.
Here's what it says on Yelp:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1626377281.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	186873  
Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow, I had a similar experience with the owner of a local pet store when I was fishless cycling. I told him I was just visiting/looking because I was fishless cycling. He said that fishless cycling was a waste.

I then asked him about his water source and he said city water. I asked about the pH and he said 7.4. I told him the city water in my tank was 8.2. (It has since dropped to 7.8 as the tank has matured) He said it couldn't be and I said I used the API hi pH test. He said that wasn't for normal use and I shouldn't use it, I should use the low range test. He also asked if my test was old but I told him it was new and in date. He was very adamant. That the hi range test should not be used.

His tanks looked nice but I haven't been back since. I'm considerably older than 15, but no one should be treated like an idiot. It they have something to teach fine. This is a hobby where there is often leeway for personal preference and experience, but don't treat a potential customer like they are an idiot, even if they are. Teach them, guide them if they are idiots, and by all means don't treat people who have a clue like they are morons. Believe me, they won't be back.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryluv View Post
Wow, I had a similar experience with the owner of a local pet store when I was fishless cycling. I told him I was just visiting/looking because I was fishless cycling. He said that fishless cycling was a waste.

I then asked him about his water source and he said city water. I asked about the pH and he said 7.4. I told him the city water in my tank was 8.2. (It has since dropped to 7.8 as the tank has matured) He said it couldn't be and I said I used the API hi pH test. He said that wasn't for normal use and I shouldn't use it, I should use the low range test. He also asked if my test was old but I told him it was new and in date. He was very adamant. That the hi range tewt should not be used.

His tanks looked nice but I haven't been back since. I'm considerably older than 15, but no one should be treated like an idiot. It they have something to teach fine. This is a hobby where there is often leeway for personal preference and experience, but don't treat a potential customer like they are an idiot, even if they are. Teach them, guide them if they are idiots, and by all means don't treat people who have a clue like they are morons. Believe me, they won't be back.
Wow, I can't possibly imagine maintaining my tank without a test kit, and I still refuse to believe that there are people who think otherwise. I wonder how he keeps his tanks in check without knowing accurate water parameters and without cycling. Live plants maybe? I wouldn't be able to do that if it was me. Lol.
You're totally right about the customer thing. I'm fairly new to the hobby, so naturally I will have questions--lots of them. But if you're going to treat me like I'm clueless and shouldn't be in the hobby, then I won't bother talking back. Because when it all comes down to it, everyone started at one point; nobody was born knowing every little thing about fish keeping.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com