Worst employee of the month?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaha, that's something only my brother would do! He loves saltwater tanks, he has his own place and it's like walking into a saltwater fish shop! He does fw also, but only with huge fish like oscars.
There was a time when he saw that all the saltwater fishes in a fish store tank had ich, he literally burst into madness at the employees..needless to say, I just stood there awkwardly..lol

He sounds like an awesome guy! I would do the same just so they felt stupid but sometimes even I feel wrong for how I act towards others. I come off very very string without even saying or doing anything!

I see. When I see my fishes they're always up and about..maybe they "sleep" the same time I do..or something. Lol

Fish have a film that protect their eyes. Those clearish films close and they go into what you can call auto pilot basically and just move around to keep water flowing through their gills. So you can call it sleep if you'd like!

I dont sleep much (as you can see) (its 3:40am) but the fish usually "sleep" around the tme the lights are off

Dont feel bad. I have 2 pups that sleep more than I. Im 22 and wake up now at 12pm because I decided I didnt wanna sleep till 5 am. Its 2:42 am now here

Dont feel bad. I have 2 pups that sleep more than I. Im 22 and wake up now at 12pm because I decided I didnt wanna sleep till 5 am. Its 2:42 am now here

I have tried everythig. Im 15. And its bad haha. I usually lay down around 1130-1230 but dont fall asleep till 3-5

He sounds like an awesome guy! I would do the same just so they felt stupid but sometimes even I feel wrong for how I act towards others. I come off very very string without even saying or doing anything!

Yeah..there is a very distinct difference when it comes to me and my brother. I tend to just wait to the point where I can't take it, unlike my brother who explodes the minute something isn't right..oh well! They deserve it, I don't think you should feel bad at all haha

Lucky. I dont think i have fell asleep that fast ever in my life

Goto work at 6 am all day then come home at 6 pm and clean your house take your dogs on an hour jog then shower watch a show and lay down. I bet anyone would fall asleep fast

I have tried everythig. Im 15. And its bad haha. I usually lay down around 1130-1230 but dont fall asleep till 3-5

This is exactly me.
On the days I know I have school the next day, I don't sleep until 5..giving me one hour of sleep. But I'm on vacation so I'm sleeping whenever I feel like it haha! It's only 10 PM here, pretty early.

Fish have a film that protect their eyes. Those clearish films close and they go into what you can call auto pilot basically and just move around to keep water flowing through their gills. So you can call it sleep if you'd like!

I wonder what it would be like if they could sleep with their eyelids closed..I can't imagine it somehow haha

This is exactly me.
On the days I know I have school the next day, I don't sleep until 5..giving me one hour of sleep. But I'm on vacation so I'm sleeping whenever I feel like it haha! It's only 10 PM here, pretty early.

I wish it was 10pm here. I would have decided to sleep early

I live on Oahu so I think I know the place. My Lfs encourages a fish in cycle so I guess it's better than nothing

I live on Oahu so I think I know the place. My Lfs encourages a fish in cycle so I guess it's better than nothing

What area do you live in?

Sadly, that store is the closest one nearby, and it's kinda sad because they're fairly new..maybe it's just that one employee.
Since you do live on Oahu, what fish stores do you recommend?

I'm in Oahu too. Anyone know a good place with good Saltwater fish? I bought a firefish at petco as I know of few places that sell these guys. I have visited the store in Aeia, but they didn't have the fish I wanted. Plus, their prices are sky high for equipment... The place that holds puppy swap meets didn't seem to have many saltwater, that I could remember at least.

I'm in Oahu too. Anyone know a good place with good Saltwater fish? I bought a firefish at petco as I know of few places that sell these guys. I have visited the store in Aeia, but they didn't have the fish I wanted. Plus, their prices are sky high for equipment... The place that holds puppy swap meets didn't seem to have many saltwater, that I could remember at least.

You could try Coral Place Hawaii (I think that's the name) in Aiea if you're trying to look for saltwater fish. It's two stories; downstairs is for sw fish and upstairs is for fw fish. The only thing is that I read that their stock is common, nothing rare or special, and the place is a bit dirty. You may just want to read the reviews on yelp.
What I do is search up "fish stores" on yelp that's located in Oahu. You could get a variety of choices, and read the reviews before you actually get there.

If you want a place that has a little more variety or a certain fish, you can do special orders at The Pet Depot in Ewa. I don't know how far it is from you, so it may be a little far.
Here's what it says on Yelp:

Attachments

• image-1626377281.jpg
    image-1626377281.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 51
Wow, I had a similar experience with the owner of a local pet store when I was fishless cycling. I told him I was just visiting/looking because I was fishless cycling. He said that fishless cycling was a waste.

I then asked him about his water source and he said city water. I asked about the pH and he said 7.4. I told him the city water in my tank was 8.2. (It has since dropped to 7.8 as the tank has matured) He said it couldn't be and I said I used the API hi pH test. He said that wasn't for normal use and I shouldn't use it, I should use the low range test. He also asked if my test was old but I told him it was new and in date. He was very adamant. That the hi range test should not be used.

His tanks looked nice but I haven't been back since. I'm considerably older than 15, but no one should be treated like an idiot. It they have something to teach fine. This is a hobby where there is often leeway for personal preference and experience, but don't treat a potential customer like they are an idiot, even if they are. Teach them, guide them if they are idiots, and by all means don't treat people who have a clue like they are morons. Believe me, they won't be back.

Last edited:
Wow, I had a similar experience with the owner of a local pet store when I was fishless cycling. I told him I was just visiting/looking because I was fishless cycling. He said that fishless cycling was a waste.

I then asked him about his water source and he said city water. I asked about the pH and he said 7.4. I told him the city water in my tank was 8.2. (It has since dropped to 7.8 as the tank has matured) He said it couldn't be and I said I used the API hi pH test. He said that wasn't for normal use and I shouldn't use it, I should use the low range test. He also asked if my test was old but I told him it was new and in date. He was very adamant. That the hi range tewt should not be used.

His tanks looked nice but I haven't been back since. I'm considerably older than 15, but no one should be treated like an idiot. It they have something to teach fine. This is a hobby where there is often leeway for personal preference and experience, but don't treat a potential customer like they are an idiot, even if they are. Teach them, guide them if they are idiots, and by all means don't treat people who have a clue like they are morons. Believe me, they won't be back.

Wow, I can't possibly imagine maintaining my tank without a test kit, and I still refuse to believe that there are people who think otherwise. I wonder how he keeps his tanks in check without knowing accurate water parameters and without cycling. Live plants maybe? I wouldn't be able to do that if it was me. Lol.
You're totally right about the customer thing. I'm fairly new to the hobby, so naturally I will have questions--lots of them. But if you're going to treat me like I'm clueless and shouldn't be in the hobby, then I won't bother talking back. Because when it all comes down to it, everyone started at one point; nobody was born knowing every little thing about fish keeping.

Back
Top Bottom