Worst fishroom mishap to date!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Went out to the fishroom yesterday to do a little feeding, and decided to get one of our new foods out of the refrigerator to try it. For whatever reason I didn't notice anything amiss so I continued on with feeding. Then HN1 came out there and went to get another one of our new foods out of there and said "why isn't the fridge working?" Then he opened the freezer door... It had been at least a month since either one of us had gotten into the freezer so we have no idea how long ago the fridge quit working, but there were several flat packs of bloodworms in there, plus a pack of frozen cubes. OMG... a HazMat suit would have been appropriate for that cleanup. It was seriously the most disgusting thing I've ever cleaned up and if not the worst thing I have ever smelled, then EASILY in the top 5. I used all purpose bleach cleaner and it still reeks even though it looks clean. Now we have to figure out how we are going to get it the heck outta here, and we are back to storing all frozen foods in the house fridge until we figure something out! :banghead:

severum mama said:
Went out to the fishroom yesterday to do a little feeding, and decided to get one of our new foods out of the refrigerator to try it. For whatever reason I didn't notice anything amiss so I continued on with feeding. Then HN1 came out there and went to get another one of our new foods out of there and said "why isn't the fridge working?" Then he opened the freezer door... It had been at least a month since either one of us had gotten into the freezer so we have no idea how long ago the fridge quit working, but there were several flat packs of bloodworms in there, plus a pack of frozen cubes. OMG... a HazMat suit would have been appropriate for that cleanup. It was seriously the most disgusting thing I've ever cleaned up and if not the worst thing I have ever smelled, then EASILY in the top 5. I used all purpose bleach cleaner and it still reeks even though it looks clean. Now we have to figure out how we are going to get it the heck outta here, and we are back to storing all frozen foods in the house fridge until we figure something out! :banghead:

Eeewwww! Lol. Sorry, I know that must have been horrific.

So far my worst thing has been getting lots of water on the floor when an airline started siphoning.

Can only imagine how nasty that was, think my one of my worse was refilling one of that tanks and the hose came out while I was distracted with something else and you needed a pontoon boat to get thru the diningroom

In an old house I lived in the landlord kept a large chest freezer in our machine shed. We didn't use the shed for much. The freezer had well over 200 pounds of deer meat in it. Needless to say the breaker tripped one summer day and nobody noticed for at least a month. That is the worst thing I have ever seen or smelled in my life.

You could try cleaning the fridge with vinegar and leaving the door open, if you can stand the smell!! Baking soda is another odor remover, open a box or two, if not more, and put it in the fridge. Might be better to spread the baking soda out in a cookie sheet or two, I also heard charcoal ( petstore ) spread out on a cookie sheet works to.

This stench is so unbelievable, the bleach didn't even TOUCH it. LOL. Baking soda might be something to try. We aren't going to repair it so it doesn't have to smell good. Hopefully we will find a good deal on CL or something.

severum mama said:
This stench is so unbelievable, the bleach didn't even TOUCH it. LOL. Baking soda might be something to try. We aren't going to repair it so it doesn't have to smell good. Hopefully we will find a good deal on CL or something.

I think I would haul it to the landfill....better yet pay someone to do it for you! Lol

Blech! I've read baking soda, coffee grounds or unscented cat liter on a cookie sheet in the fridge for a few days might help, never tried it though but it might be worth it to try each one and see what helps.

Eww, I'm disgusted touching the food when its frozen, I can't imagine what it would smell like, EGH, I'm gagging as I'm typing this.

Back
Top Bottom