Worst Job you ever had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
probably every job I've ever had :)
The one I didn't mind the most was the one that paid the least. Newspaper delivery to businesses. I liked the solidarity of it and it was quick and easy to do. It didnt pay much and I had to use my own car and work 7 days a week, but at least I didn't have to deal with jerks all day.

Another bad one was Papa Murphys. Only did one day there.

The worst job I had was my first job out of medical assisting school for a pain management doctor. This guy was an A class you know what. He screamed and berated me in front of an office of patients and co-workers one time. I hated him so much, I just never went back one day.

The job I've had recently (been injured twice and had to deal with that lovleyness) pays the most and is not too bad. I have alot of independance, no one really breathing down my neck all day. I drive to various facilities (nursing homes, assisted living, mental wards) and do lab work. Of course I have alot of people that are out of their minds and nurses I want to strangle most of the time. I've been physically attatcked twice, this last time ripping my shoulder. And been "wrestled" with numerous times. Blood splattered all over me and having to breathe in the wonderful smell of "facility" (ie, urine, fecal material, and death) are some more of the up-sides :)

Hey you 2 nursing students, do me a favor? If you ever work in a facility, please tell the lab tech if a patient is combative. You could save someone a nasty injury and a never ending workmans comp battle.
And also please don't wait until the tech gets there to try to get a sample! You don't know how much time I had to waste because nurses wait until I get there to get a urine, and then say "oh she won't pee, I need to catheterize her" :roll:

Please!?!?! It will make everyones life easier!!!

Sorry, off topic. But I need to spread the word to future nurses :D

Worst job; let's take a trip on the waaay-back machine!

I'm 15 years old, drifting aimlessly through school, just getting enough grades to get by. Hoooray, Last Day of School! (Cue up Alice Cooper). I get home figuring this is my last free summer, I'm not 16 yet (when my older Bro and Sis had to get jobs). Lo and behold, there's my Dad with a letter from this produce farmer he knows... I start work the next morning, 5 am picking corn til 10 when we switch to tomatoes or cantelopes, all freakin' day!

I did that all summer, 6 days a week, for $2.35 an hour, didn't even get OT for hours worked over 40. I despised it, couldn't stand the farm boys I worked with, but would NOT quit just to prove my Dad wrong! Of course he knew exactly what he was doing, I haven't gone more than a few weeks without being employed since then, close to 20 years. That summer was also the best physical shape I've ever been in!

Still, dang parents and that whole "work ethic" concept... What were they thinking?!?!?! :wink:

Ok this doesnt count. but i volunteered at the county hospital this weekend.
All i did was clean up puke and wash sheets. it sucked but at the same time it felt good to help.

The worst job I have had to be at a Bed & Breakfast Inn in Big Bear California. For the most part all I did was maintenance,but on occasion I had to help with the room cleaning. Can you imagine what people do in a small B&B, in a small resort town, in Southern California, on a weekend get away?

The things that we would find in the shower...

Worst job... Target, I got wrote up for leaving early after getting a call from my daughters school because she was going to the ER. I wouldnt sign the letter and walked out right there...
also I worked at a printing/binding press... I wont go into the details but it was awful... the machines that sucked up the excess paper were like a central vac. and would sometimes get clogged. After a clog sits there it starts getting hot and will soon catch fire... I remember having to feed these machines with pages of books while a fire was burning just around a corner, the only upside was all the mags I could read... that was cool,

most painful job, picking peaches. Sounds easy, but unless you have ever seen what peaches look like before they are picked... UG!!! that "fuzz" is long hair, and it gets in your nose, ears, eyes, clothes, and itches like fiber glass...

best job... Service writer for a local automotive shop. I got to work on the cars a little too. That was awsome. Its a mom & pop shop, and they turned out to be some of my best friends. That was the only job that I didnt burn my bridges and go back every now and then to cover the office while they are on vacation.

I used to run calls with my local Fire & Rescue... I was an EMT and I have had some really nasty stuff get on me... I actually made one guy take a shower before I let him in my ambulance.
I stopped just a few weeks ago at an single car accident, the girl driving busted her hand pretty bad and it was bleeding, I always carry a med bag with me and got some gloves on while dressing her hand. She got a little blood on the sleeve of my shirt... she kept saying she was so sorry, she hoped it would come out yaddayaddayadda... no prob... a little bleach, gone. Besides, I have had much worse on me, and if that is the worst that I ever get on me again, Im doing real good...

Great thread!!

This is a great thread.

My worst job had to be at a Hy-Vee bakery department. I worked third shift, icing donuts for 6.50 an hour. At two in the morning you're standing at a table icing donuts, and prepping them for the morning customers. That was so mind-numbing, and repititive. Not to mention you had three bosses who would write you notes about what you did wrong, and leave them on your clock in tag so every employee could see. I lasted maybe a month; before I stopped showing up.

dralarms said:
I lasted maybe a month; before I stopped showing up.

The only problem here is "I stopped showing up" Even a bad employer needs to have a notice if possible.

If I worked for a bad employer, I always tried to determine when the most inopportune time to leave him would be, what could be stolen or sabotaged, and how many ways I could possibly aid in the destruction of his business.

Hey, if you treat your employees poorly, they're going to treat you poorly in return.

I always tried to determine when the most inopportune time to leave him would be, what could be stolen or sabotaged, and how many ways I could possibly aid in the destruction of his business

That's the problem with today's workplace. Sure if you have a bad job, by all means get out of it.

When I was just getting started a older gentleman gave me some advice that I have always carried with me where ever I worked. it went something like this "if you work for someone, then by george work for them, do your best, appreciated or not, if you find you can no longer work for them then yes leave, once you are gone you can bad mouth them until your blue in the face."

I've had some bad jobs, I've had some good jobs, however the way I approach a job you could not tell which ones I felt were the bad ones.

Hey, if you treat your employees poorly, they're going to treat you poorly in return.

There is still no excuse for stealing, that can land you in jail. as for sabotage, well there have been times when the thought more than crossed my mind. Can't say I ever did anything but I sure wanted to.

I'm now dropping this rant since it has nothing to do with the actual topic. just wanted to get that off my chest.

dralarms, you have a commendable work ethic, and it is one that I follow - can't help it, I was raised that way, though there have been jobs where I sure wanted to get back at them.

dralarms, TG. As a small business co-owner, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Often the definition of a "bad boss" is in the eye of the beholder. Heck, I worked for eight years for Winn-Dixie supermarkets. I started cleaning toilets and ended up as a meat cutter before quitting to go to lawschool. I had good days, bad days, good bosses, bad bosses, etc... I tried to keep my attitude the same (did not always succeed, though :roll: ).

Now, when I interview a new candidate for a position in my firm, I like to ask about their prior supervisor. It is in effect a license to rant. Whether they choose to do so can be a testament to their character. I think the reason we all like this post is because every job has its bad points. It is, however, up to us to deal with them in a mature manner.

In the end, I quit Winn Dixie after eight years, walking out with a good reputation and my head held high. This, even though there were times where in my head, I quit that job almost every day. Even now, nine years later, they are still glad to see me when I go visit.

The worst job I ever had was when I work for local Zoo. Summer job cleaning out cages...ICK.. But as I look back on it I learned a lot from the animal caretakers. BTW I got to pet all the baby tigers :) Prolly the best part.. so I guess nit so bad after all lol

being a boat builder by trade, I started my apprenticeshp at Austal Ships, Perth WA,
First week we had to move 20 tonnes of 1m long railway track, from outside the shed area to inside an 80metre vehicle ferry, ready for see trials
This was before they realised they could just crane a forklift up onto the upper mezzanine level, so every piece of track had to be carried one by one onto the boats...
me being a skinny weedy little apprentice, this was not a pleasant task..
It pretty much made or broke alot of the apprentices, there was 13 of us... 4 left in the first week alone..

dralarms, you have a commendable work ethic, and it is one that I follow - can't help it, I was raised that way, though there have been jobs where I sure wanted to get back at them.

Thanks, been in the same spot.

I tried to keep my attitude the same (did not always succeed, though ).

This is always the hardest part. Keeping your cool while everything is going to, well you get the idea.

I am enjoying this thread because I think we have all wondered, "how could they DO that job?" and now we are hearing some of the stories that explain how someone might wind up in one of those less than desirable jobs that have to get done. Plus, we have all had sucky jobs that taught us a lot about our own character, what we will put up with in order to get a paycheck, and what we just won't.

Well lets see, I've been a paper boy, worked at KFC as a cook, did tele-marketing, worked for my control-freak father, and even worked at a place that should've gone bankrupt and didn't get paychecks for several months.

However the worst job I ever had was working at Wal~Mart. yes, Wal~Mart.

If you are not hired to be a manager at a walmart, you'll never be promoted to one. Walmart gives %4 raises to hourly employees on an annual basis...which equates to about 15 cents.
WalMart's bottom line is always their budget. It was not uncommon for them to make us clock out at 11pm (we closed at 10pm) and then force us to stay another 15-30 mins facing products, folding soft-goods, etc.
I also worked there for 18 months, but due to my hire and final work dates, I was 100% in-elligible for the profit sharing checks they hand out. technically I worked there the right dates, but since I wasn't an employee the day they passed out checks, I didn't get one.

Oh, and they loved to discriminate against male employees with pierced ears, but it was totally based on your region. For example the store 60 miles south of us was a different region, and they could wear earrings and have visible tattoos. At our store, failure to remove/cover up meant 1 write up, and then termination.

Yeah, Wal-Mart is freaking evil, and I don't really shop there anymore. For the above reasons, and also because they put mom & pop shops out of business. Sure competition is good, but when Wal-Mart places an order for 5,000 stores, they get a HUGE discount on the wholesale price - and that's why wal-mart has low prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom