Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNY
I'll never forget the day my boss sent me to clean up the mess after someone vomitted.
IMO, no matter who you are or anyone else is, everyone should be required to clean up their own vomit. I remember we were at the museum eating lunch next to two moms each with a kid. The place was packed with people suddenly the kid throws up about a gallon of bright orange puke right on the table. The mom wiped the kid's mouth and they got up and left. Alright, maybe you're just too darn classy to clean up your kid's puke, but at least tell someone there what happened so they can clean it. Nope - that was too much of an inconvenience. So we got to sit there and watch a pool of vomit mixed with food and paper bags drip off the edges of the table while we ate (until a very unhappy maintenance person happened to notice the scene while emptyiong garbage bags).

Anyway...

My worst was Dairy Queen. $3.35 and hour. Guys weren't allowed to work the front, they had to worked the fryers. I told them I wanted to work the counter so they let me try it - and I was as good or better than any of the girls, so they let me stay there (I can still make a very presentable 3-dip sundae with a nice "curly-Q"). We did have fun frying everything in the store - food or non-food. Some days were pitifully boring with nothing to do, but you couldn't sit or talk - you had to stand there with a rag and wipe the already-clean counter. Other days were so ridiculously busy it was terrible - like after a football game or something. Working like a madman for $3.35 per hour. An 8-hour shift of killing myself for about $20 after taxes, and what a joy it was to know that I was paying FICA taxes so retired lawyers could buy an extra drink on me after a round of golf. One day I said screw it and went there to give the guy my 2 weeks notice, so he fired me. I laughed at him and left.

I'll never let my kid work those jobs. No one builds character working for pennies so the owner can reap the benefits and live like a king.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 05-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
I'll never let my kid work those jobs. No one builds character working for pennies so the owner can reap the benefits and live like a king.
Amen to that.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli_conker
Quote:
Amen to that.
Yeah, my kid will work for me. I'll teach him to be responsible myself along with the value of hard work and a dollar. He'll also understand that his studies and good grades are more important than money at that age. I'll encourage and support any interest he has. No wealthy businessman is going to exploit my kid's formative years for a little profit for himself.

Heck, I could be a virtuoso if I'd spent my time on important things rather than making ice cream cones for $15 per day.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 05-10-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've had a few crappy jobs, but the job I have now has been both the best and the worst job I've ever had. It's great when you help someone with a disability learn how to do an art project, or learn some new sign language, or get their first job.

Then there are those days when someone drags you to the floor by the hair. I've also been hit, kicked, scratched, and bitten- human bites really suck! One day in particular it was all of the above. Luckily that trauma got me sent home early to relax.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to dogspot
Fry cook at Arby's while high school... I stood over the grease pit and put in more fries as needed. I asked the manager if I could work the register instead... He told me that I didn't have what it takes... Give me a break! I didn't have what it takes to work the register at a fast food restaurant... That was a slap in the face. I quit and kept the uniform... Still have it to this day, 15 years later. I don't know why, but I do. They withheld my final paycheck until I returned the uniform... The paycheck covered a little over one hour (I quit in the middle of my shift)... It totalled about 3 bucks after taxes. I preferred to have an Arby's shirt, hat, and apron. Keep the 3 bucks Arby's!
2 Black Calvi
3 Julidchromus Transcripti
3 Synodontis Petricolas
2 Common Plecos
(all are juveniles) Plan to upgrade to about 120 gallons soon
Old 05-10-2005, 03:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I quit and kept the uniform... Still have it to this day, 15 years later. I don't know why, but I do.
Weird. I still have my Winn-Dixie meat-cutter's uniform, 9 years later. I don't know why either.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
Old 05-10-2005, 05:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
AHAHAHAAAA this is too funny!
My second Crapiest Job.
It was a Company called dependable plastics. They make the outside casing for EKG/Heartmonitor machines. My job was to get all the production lines out of the shells. So my job was to stand there and sand all day. Not with a power sander but with a sanding block. lol 10 hours of sanding. i swear my Right arm is still ripped and my left arm is normal. lol
Its ironic though. the pieces i used to sand are now the equipment i work with at the hospital.......
Old 05-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #18
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
When I was a teen....maintenance at a YMCA public pool....nothing is worse than disinfection routines and cleaning washrooms and changerooms....it was amusing to see all the stuff the robo-pool-vac picked up though.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 05-10-2005, 07:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
EW. lol
Old 05-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #20

Quote:
IMO, no matter who you are or anyone else is, everyone should be required to clean up their own vomit.
he he he, im in nursing school (RN) and work as a nurse-tech right now... i think the new name for the job should be bodily fluid clean up. But honestly I love my job, i love nursing, i love taking care of people and i don't mind cleaning up blood/vomit/fluids at all, doesn't bother me.

My worst job was, well, one of the only other jobs ive had since im only 20, i worked 2 horrible years at winn dixie as a cashier. The good part was that i got to work part time in the pharmacy which, to me, i love anything medical related, but i hated being a cashier. I was good, really good, i was always the fastest cashier, never more than five cents off on my drawer at the end of the shift, but i never got a drop of appreciation. I would work my butt off, come in on my off days, and they still didn't want to give me extra shifts when i asked, and gave me a hard time when i wanted off.

It's so wonderful working at the hospital now, away from the retail madness. i work 12 hour shifts so i can get a full time pay check in just 3 days, and at the end of every shifts, the nurses almost always say "Thanks for your help, have a great day" I'm working on my RN and they are always so helpful, they teach me new stuff, let me help out with new procedures, its awesome.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com