Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2005, 11:32 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
Thats cool Ashley. i'm a nursing student too. I attend Pacific Union College out here in Napa, CA.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:07 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
probably every job I've ever had
The one I didn't mind the most was the one that paid the least. Newspaper delivery to businesses. I liked the solidarity of it and it was quick and easy to do. It didnt pay much and I had to use my own car and work 7 days a week, but at least I didn't have to deal with jerks all day.

Another bad one was Papa Murphys. Only did one day there.

The worst job I had was my first job out of medical assisting school for a pain management doctor. This guy was an A class you know what. He screamed and berated me in front of an office of patients and co-workers one time. I hated him so much, I just never went back one day.

The job I've had recently (been injured twice and had to deal with that lovleyness) pays the most and is not too bad. I have alot of independance, no one really breathing down my neck all day. I drive to various facilities (nursing homes, assisted living, mental wards) and do lab work. Of course I have alot of people that are out of their minds and nurses I want to strangle most of the time. I've been physically attatcked twice, this last time ripping my shoulder. And been "wrestled" with numerous times. Blood splattered all over me and having to breathe in the wonderful smell of "facility" (ie, urine, fecal material, and death) are some more of the up-sides

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
Old 05-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
Hey you 2 nursing students, do me a favor? If you ever work in a facility, please tell the lab tech if a patient is combative. You could save someone a nasty injury and a never ending workmans comp battle.
And also please don't wait until the tech gets there to try to get a sample! You don't know how much time I had to waste because nurses wait until I get there to get a urine, and then say "oh she won't pee, I need to catheterize her"

Please!?!?! It will make everyones life easier!!!

Sorry, off topic. But I need to spread the word to future nurses

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
Old 05-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Will do dr_girlfriend!
Where do or did you work dr_girlfriend?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:53 PM   #25

Worst job; let's take a trip on the waaay-back machine!

I'm 15 years old, drifting aimlessly through school, just getting enough grades to get by. Hoooray, Last Day of School! (Cue up Alice Cooper). I get home figuring this is my last free summer, I'm not 16 yet (when my older Bro and Sis had to get jobs). Lo and behold, there's my Dad with a letter from this produce farmer he knows... I start work the next morning, 5 am picking corn til 10 when we switch to tomatoes or cantelopes, all freakin' day!

I did that all summer, 6 days a week, for $2.35 an hour, didn't even get OT for hours worked over 40. I despised it, couldn't stand the farm boys I worked with, but would NOT quit just to prove my Dad wrong! Of course he knew exactly what he was doing, I haven't gone more than a few weeks without being employed since then, close to 20 years. That summer was also the best physical shape I've ever been in!

Still, dang parents and that whole "work ethic" concept... What were they thinking?!?!?!

Old 05-17-2005, 10:07 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok this doesnt count. but i volunteered at the county hospital this weekend.
All i did was clean up puke and wash sheets. it sucked but at the same time it felt good to help.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:30 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

The worst job I have had to be at a Bed & Breakfast Inn in Big Bear California. For the most part all I did was maintenance,but on occasion I had to help with the room cleaning. Can you imagine what people do in a small B&B, in a small resort town, in Southern California, on a weekend get away?

The things that we would find in the shower...
Old 05-19-2005, 12:08 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Worst job... Target, I got wrote up for leaving early after getting a call from my daughters school because she was going to the ER. I wouldnt sign the letter and walked out right there...
also I worked at a printing/binding press... I wont go into the details but it was awful... the machines that sucked up the excess paper were like a central vac. and would sometimes get clogged. After a clog sits there it starts getting hot and will soon catch fire... I remember having to feed these machines with pages of books while a fire was burning just around a corner, the only upside was all the mags I could read... that was cool,

most painful job, picking peaches. Sounds easy, but unless you have ever seen what peaches look like before they are picked... UG!!! that "fuzz" is long hair, and it gets in your nose, ears, eyes, clothes, and itches like fiber glass...

best job... Service writer for a local automotive shop. I got to work on the cars a little too. That was awsome. Its a mom & pop shop, and they turned out to be some of my best friends. That was the only job that I didnt burn my bridges and go back every now and then to cover the office while they are on vacation.

I used to run calls with my local Fire & Rescue... I was an EMT and I have had some really nasty stuff get on me... I actually made one guy take a shower before I let him in my ambulance.
I stopped just a few weeks ago at an single car accident, the girl driving busted her hand pretty bad and it was bleeding, I always carry a med bag with me and got some gloves on while dressing her hand. She got a little blood on the sleeve of my shirt... she kept saying she was so sorry, she hoped it would come out yaddayaddayadda... no prob... a little bleach, gone. Besides, I have had much worse on me, and if that is the worst that I ever get on me again, Im doing real good...

Great thread!!
Old 05-24-2005, 05:24 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is a great thread.

My worst job had to be at a Hy-Vee bakery department. I worked third shift, icing donuts for 6.50 an hour. At two in the morning you're standing at a table icing donuts, and prepping them for the morning customers. That was so mind-numbing, and repititive. Not to mention you had three bosses who would write you notes about what you did wrong, and leave them on your clock in tag so every employee could see. I lasted maybe a month; before I stopped showing up.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:28 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I lasted maybe a month; before I stopped showing up.

The only problem here is "I stopped showing up" Even a bad employer needs to have a notice if possible.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com