Worst Job you ever had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I thought this would be fun.
Post worst jobs you have had so we could all have a laugh.

My worst job was Jack In The Box.
i worked there for 3 days in high school. The manager called me stupid so i threw my hat in the french fry grease. it stunk up the whole block :twisted: lol

And you?

Telemarketer!!!

When I was 18 I saw an ad for "appointment setter" and I thought, I can do that part time, so I went on down there. I had never received a phone call from someone trying to sell something (recently on my own) so I had no idea that this existed. I got my list and got hollered at by a few people, but made some decent money my first day. The second day, not so good, so I was out the door, since making appointments is sales-speak for selling aluminum siding. I don't even think back then the term "telemarketer" was even coined yet.

Great thread! Brings back memories.... :roll:

When I was about 12, I answered an advertisement to mow someone's lawn. My first job. I would have to do it once a week for the whole summer.

When I got there, the lady led me to her back yard. It looked like it had not been mowed in weeks. It was also about one and a half acres. She gave me an 18'' lawnmower and took off so run some errands. It took me all day to mow that yard. I found a hornet's nest in one corner of the yard (actually, they found me)and also stepped into a fire ants' nest. When she got back she asked what was taking me so long. I got paid $15 and a glass of lukewarm lemonade-no ice.

I think she's still waiting for me to call her back. :roll:

I think I recently saw something similar in the "Interview game thread", but good idea.

McDonald's. Absolutely the worst job. For those who didn't know, McD's subtracts "meal money" from your check...whether you eat there or not.

Anywho...I there for the 2nd week and I'm in the crew prep area. I have 6 1/4's and 6 BM's working along with two fry baskets. There is no one else in the area to help out. While removing the buns from the carmelizer, another employee bumps into me and the buns go flying. I still have 18 burgers on the grill and two fry baskets. I stop to pick up the buns and start the bun process over again (I do give McDonald's credit here...no dropped or mishandled food will be served). The crew chief (a misnomer if ever I heard one) stands there watching me. After I get the entire mess cleaned up and finish prepping all the burgers and fries, he tells me to punch out and wait for him in the crew room.

I wait...about 45 minutes later he comes in and starts ranting about carelessness, paying attention...wasting food...goofing off...yadda, yadda, yadda. He then tells me to go back to work but I will never work the prep or register again.

I politely dissassemble the goofy uniform, throw it in his face and leave. I never even went back for the last paycheck.

My worst job was working at a place called Angstrom. If I remember right anyway. Its a place that makes fiberglass tubs, showers, hot tubs, etc. My job was to paint on the blue/black fiberglass stuff that is on the back of these things. The people there were horrid and made an already bad job, unbearable. I was ready to walk the first day but stuck it out for a week. I ruined alot of clothes working there cause the stuff doesn't wash out but, the last straw was having to have my hair cut due to a careless worker. :?

I worked at Mc Donalds for one day. I can relate.

But the worst job I ever had was working as a temporary at a printing company. The first day, we sat around this big shop table. There were boxes of small notepads, plastic bags, and baskets of plastic wrapped pens. You put one notepad and one packet of pens into a plastic bag. Set the bag to the side and repeat. The guy with the most seniority got to take the bags and seal them shut with a heat wand. They were invisible ink kits for a children's book publisher. About an hour into it, the guy across the table started clucking like a chicken. I asked the guy next to me if he was alright, and he said "I don't know. He does that all the time."

Day two: we continued the same job. My Clucky was there. More of the same.

Day three: They pleaded with us to at least finish out the week. This time we got to do something different. I learned all about collating. We had to put together a workbook. And did so, for 8 hours.

Day four: They printed 1,000,000 tags for Wexner (The Limited, Structure, etc.) and we had to package them up. One thousand to a box. "Take 10% off" is permenantly burned into my brain.

Day five: I think I've almost expunged day five from my memory. Except for one little part where this guy sitting next to me told me that he looks more like his uncle than his father...

I do not know how some people can do such work without being medicated in some way. I'm not sure how many points of IQ I lost during that week.

My worst job was my first summer job. Try working in a sno-cone "hut" commonly known as Tropical Sno. Being cramped into a 4 foot by 3 foot room the entire day, 8 hours a day. Shaving ice, pouring the flavor. The Air Conditioner freezes up all the time so you get it for about 15 minutes, then have to turn it off for an hour for it to defrost. So I have one little sliding window that doesn't open enough to even stick your head out. Sure we had running water, a block away at the outside spiket. Then you have to completly bleach everything in the place twice a day so you don't get ants. You can ONLY wear white to this job because everything gets bleached, even your clothes. You have to measure each sno cone by weight. 8 ounches for a medium, 6 oucnes for a small, 10 ounces for a large. Then, with the sno cone on the scale, you pour 2 ounces of juice for a small, 3 for a medium, and 4 for a large. Just wait until the baseball games are over and you have 4 khoury league baseball teams come over and all demand sno cones. What a NIGHTMARE! But, it was my first job and a great experience because now I know that no matter what job I could possibly have, nothing could compare to Tropical Sno. It must be a REALLY undesirable job if they have to hire 14 year olds to run it.

What a cool thread! :lol: In chronological order:

When I was 16 a local dept store needed people to clean up after a fire. I spent 12 hours hauling smoke filled water logged clothing up a flight of stairs and into a dumpster. That was pretty bad.

Jobs while in college:

Janitor at the United Nations. Imagine an entire 8 hour day spent emptying waste baskets and mopping floors. I'll never forget the day my boss sent me to clean up the mess after someone vomitted. And for this I needed a security clearance. LOL

Air Freight handler at JFK Airport. I worked midnight to 8 AM packing igloos. These are the fibre glass containers that get rolled into the planes. One night while taking the truck to the plane I got held up at gun point. The guy stole the truck. My most vivid memory was a night in Jan. 40 mph winds and 3 below zero, standing on the tarmac. I have an emormous respect for any lineman working at night during an ice storm.

I also did a stint as Al Bundy selling womens shoes. It wasn't the worst job in the world but it did have it's interesting events. Decorum and the fact that this is a family site prohibits me from elaborating. LOL

hmmm strangely, i don't think i've had any truely horrible job experiences. My first job was part time as a stock-boy for a convience store. Only lasted the summer though. My parents took me on a vacation to FL and disney land and when I came back I found that I had been replaced. No biggy, it was just pocket money for a 16 year old. My favorite memory from the job, was one day I noticed a younger girl (12-12ish) at the bottle return counter so I went up and asked if I could help her. She said, "No, the old lady just took my bottles back into the other room". She was refering to my manager. Who was neither old nor a lady. That really made my day. :D So when I learned from the manager I didn't have a job any longer, the only thing that went through my mind was, "Ok, whatever lady."

I guess my worst job (as far as employer goes anyway) was working for an alarm company here, went to work @ 6 bux an hr., had to use my own van, tools, gas, ETC (you get the idea), after 3 years I was making the eq of 6.44 an hr. still using my van, paying for gas, and all repairs :roll: . I swore if I ever went into business for myself I'd never ask anyone to do anything like that.

Second worst was cleaning up ash from MT. St. Helens eruption in 1980. Talk about a mess. 8O

BrianNY said:
I'll never forget the day my boss sent me to clean up the mess after someone vomitted.

IMO, no matter who you are or anyone else is, everyone should be required to clean up their own vomit. I remember we were at the museum eating lunch next to two moms each with a kid. The place was packed with people suddenly the kid throws up about a gallon of bright orange puke right on the table. The mom wiped the kid's mouth and they got up and left. Alright, maybe you're just too darn classy to clean up your kid's puke, but at least tell someone there what happened so they can clean it. Nope - that was too much of an inconvenience. So we got to sit there and watch a pool of vomit mixed with food and paper bags drip off the edges of the table while we ate (until a very unhappy maintenance person happened to notice the scene while emptyiong garbage bags).

Anyway...

My worst was Dairy Queen. $3.35 and hour. Guys weren't allowed to work the front, they had to worked the fryers. I told them I wanted to work the counter so they let me try it - and I was as good or better than any of the girls, so they let me stay there (I can still make a very presentable 3-dip sundae with a nice "curly-Q"). We did have fun frying everything in the store - food or non-food. Some days were pitifully boring with nothing to do, but you couldn't sit or talk - you had to stand there with a rag and wipe the already-clean counter. Other days were so ridiculously busy it was terrible - like after a football game or something. Working like a madman for $3.35 per hour. An 8-hour shift of killing myself for about $20 after taxes, and what a joy it was to know that I was paying FICA taxes so retired lawyers could buy an extra drink on me after a round of golf. One day I said screw it and went there to give the guy my 2 weeks notice, so he fired me. I laughed at him and left.

I'll never let my kid work those jobs. No one builds character working for pennies so the owner can reap the benefits and live like a king.

deli_conker said:
I'll never let my kid work those jobs. No one builds character working for pennies so the owner can reap the benefits and live like a king.
Amen to that.

Yeah, my kid will work for me. I'll teach him to be responsible myself along with the value of hard work and a dollar. He'll also understand that his studies and good grades are more important than money at that age. I'll encourage and support any interest he has. No wealthy businessman is going to exploit my kid's formative years for a little profit for himself.

Heck, I could be a virtuoso if I'd spent my time on important things rather than making ice cream cones for $15 per day.

I've had a few crappy jobs, but the job I have now has been both the best and the worst job I've ever had. It's great when you help someone with a disability learn how to do an art project, or learn some new sign language, or get their first job.

Then there are those days when someone drags you to the floor by the hair. I've also been hit, kicked, scratched, and bitten- human bites really suck! One day in particular it was all of the above. Luckily that trauma got me sent home early to relax. :lol:

Fry cook at Arby's while high school... I stood over the grease pit and put in more fries as needed. I asked the manager if I could work the register instead... He told me that I didn't have what it takes... Give me a break! I didn't have what it takes to work the register at a fast food restaurant... That was a slap in the face. I quit and kept the uniform... Still have it to this day, 15 years later. I don't know why, but I do. They withheld my final paycheck until I returned the uniform... The paycheck covered a little over one hour (I quit in the middle of my shift)... It totalled about 3 bucks after taxes. I preferred to have an Arby's shirt, hat, and apron. Keep the 3 bucks Arby's!

AHAHAHAAAA this is too funny!
My second Crapiest Job.
It was a Company called dependable plastics. They make the outside casing for EKG/Heartmonitor machines. My job was to get all the production lines out of the shells. So my job was to stand there and sand all day. Not with a power sander but with a sanding block. lol 10 hours of sanding. i swear my Right arm is still ripped and my left arm is normal. lol
Its ironic though. the pieces i used to sand are now the equipment i work with at the hospital.......

When I was a teen....maintenance at a YMCA public pool....nothing is worse than disinfection routines and cleaning washrooms and changerooms....it was amusing to see all the stuff the robo-pool-vac picked up though.

IMO, no matter who you are or anyone else is, everyone should be required to clean up their own vomit.

he he he, im in nursing school (RN) and work as a nurse-tech right now... i think the new name for the job should be bodily fluid clean up. But honestly I love my job, i love nursing, i love taking care of people and i don't mind cleaning up blood/vomit/fluids at all, doesn't bother me.

My worst job was, well, one of the only other jobs ive had since im only 20, i worked 2 horrible years at winn dixie as a cashier. The good part was that i got to work part time in the pharmacy which, to me, i love anything medical related, but i hated being a cashier. I was good, really good, i was always the fastest cashier, never more than five cents off on my drawer at the end of the shift, but i never got a drop of appreciation. I would work my butt off, come in on my off days, and they still didn't want to give me extra shifts when i asked, and gave me a hard time when i wanted off.

It's so wonderful working at the hospital now, away from the retail madness. i work 12 hour shifts so i can get a full time pay check in just 3 days, and at the end of every shifts, the nurses almost always say "Thanks for your help, have a great day" I'm working on my RN and they are always so helpful, they teach me new stuff, let me help out with new procedures, its awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom