Worst stock of fish you have had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brinahna_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the worst stock of fish you have ever had? Mine is an Auratus cichlid, electric yellow cichlid, kenyi cichlid, jewel cichlid, red zebra cichlid, and 2 silver dollars. XD I actually still have them and they are doing fine and I've had them for awhile too! XD I just got lucky! But people always gave me problems about it even though they don't fight, but I know they're just trying to help :)

Sucking catfish - they never bothered the fish much but used to vanish inside the underground filter. I used to buy more as I'd think they had died only to find a whole tribe there when I eventually pulled up the filter which from memory was once a year.

Ok a year ago when I first started my stocking list was a terrible random mishmash of fish. 3 gold fish 1 chinnese algae eaters 2 redd eye tetra 1 zebra danio 1 emerald cory 3 rosy red minnows. Terrible, I know. My gold fish were all rehomed to a pond and the minnows lived in my 55 gallon for a while. I still have the red eyes and my zebra danio died during the transfer to the 55 gallon. The emerald cory was recently alive until a month ago he suddenly died... now I have a properly stocked tank since them and I'm very glad with how much I've grown in my year and a half of fish keeping.

Sucking catfish - they never bothered the fish much but used to vanish inside the underground filter. I used to buy more as I'd think they had died only to find a whole tribe there when I eventually pulled up the filter which from memory was once a year.

Hahaha that happened to me but with clown loaches but they got stuck and died :( and I only had them for 3 days! Lol

Ok a year ago when I first started my stocking list was a terrible random mishmash of fish. 3 gold fish 1 chinnese algae eaters 2 redd eye tetra 1 zebra danio 1 emerald cory 3 rosy red minnows. Terrible, I know. My gold fish were all rehomed to a pond and the minnows lived in my 55 gallon for a while. I still have the red eyes and my zebra danio died during the transfer to the 55 gallon. The emerald cory was recently alive until a month ago he suddenly died... now I have a properly stocked tank since them and I'm very glad with how much I've grown in my year and a half of fish keeping.

Haha, that is why everyone makes mistakes in this hobby ( and other ones) because it makes us experts lol!.....sooner or later XD

3 green sunfish...beautiful fish, but messy and destructive...had to leave tank barren...

Not me personally, but my brother had a bunch of those "glofish" anyone iv known that's owned them for their kids etc they all say that the things die for essentially no reason

Not me personally, but my brother had a bunch of those "glofish" anyone iv known that's owned them for their kids etc they all say that the things die for essentially no reason

Oh and I think they die because they get injected with chemicals to "glow" and be green,yellow,etc. It's actually really sad just like how sometimes they cut parrot cichlids tails to be a "heart" shape, it really bothers me :( :mad:

Yeah I'm sure that's it too. It would be helpful if the experiment they were made for actually worked, but now it's just fish genocide lol

If I'm not mistaken the glo fish are genetically modified with jellyfish genes. That's why their color does not fair like jelly bean parrot cichlids. So there not actually injected, but just as bad especially for the prices most lfs sell them for.

This is what I found on them.

In 1999, Dr. Zhiyuan Gong[2] and his colleagues at the National University of Singapore were working with a gene that encodes the green fluorescent protein (GFP), originally extracted from a jellyfish, that naturally produced bright green fluorescence. They inserted the gene into a zebrafish embryo, allowing it to integrate into the zebrafish's genome, which caused the fish to be brightly fluorescent under both natural white light and ultraviolet light. Their goal was to develop a fish that could detect pollution by selectively fluorescing in the presence of environmental toxins. The development of the constantly fluorescing fish was the first step in this process, and the National University of Singapore filed a patent application on this work.[3] Shortly thereafter, his team developed a line of red fluorescent zebra fish by adding a gene from a sea coral, and orange-yellow fluorescent zebra fish, by adding a variant of the jellyfish gene. Later, a team of researchers at the National Taiwan University, headed by Professor Huai-Jen Tsai (蔡懷禎), succeeded in creating a medaka (rice fish) with a fluorescent green color, which like the zebrafish is a model organism used in biology.

Back
Top Bottom