Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Actually, they don't. They FEED the algae but do not CAUSE the algae. Algae spores are everywhere in the water ( fresh, salt, tap, well, ocean, land) and just need the proper environment for them to grow into the wonderful colored messes we all hate. ( Grrrr) So I think Sk3lly gets this one because of the word "cause".

Ya but if there aren't excess nutrients in the water the they don't grow, strictly speaking sw here though. If you keep your nitrate and phosphate in check then you get no algae growth

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Ya but if there aren't excess nutrients in the water the they don't grow, strictly speaking sw here though. If you keep your nitrate and phosphate in check then you get no algae growth

Yes, I understand SW very well The point is that even without the presence of nutrients and light, Algae spores will still exist in the tank. It's because the nutrients are there that the algae can grow. But again, they don't CAUSE the algae, they just feed it.
Here's an excerpt for a better explanation:
Re: What is algae and where does it come from?

Date: Mon May 29 22:07:49 2000
Posted By: Karen Culver-Rymsza, Biological Oceanographer
Area of science: Botany

Where did your algae come from?
Even purified drinking water can have algae in it. Algae can form spores, which are very tough special cells that can survive rough treatment, even the local water purification system. Yes, the local water company will kill nearly all, but you need only one spore to survive and reach your tank for an algae bloom to start there. The algae could also have come in with the fish, or any thing else you put in your tank. Some fish food even contains algae.
Fish tanks are just wonderful places for algae to grow. They are usually nice and warm and fish waste makes great algae food. (It makes good plant food, too. Try using the water you take out when you do a water change to water your potted plants. They will love it!) The other thing that algae (and plants) need to grow is light. Your tank is probably in a nice bright spot so you can see the colors of your fish. You may even have added some nice aquarium lights to show off the fish better. Well, you just about made the perfect home for algae.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the link to where this came from

Old 09-03-2015, 11:14 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My favorite myth is that fish will stay the size of the aquarium you put them in. False.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:32 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

Where did your algae come from?
Even purified drinking water can have algae in it. Algae can form spores, which are very tough special cells that can survive rough treatment, even the local water purification system. Yes, the local water company will kill nearly all, but you need only one spore to survive and reach your tank for an algae bloom to start there. The algae could also have come in with the fish, or any thing else you put in your tank. Some fish food even contains algae.
Fish tanks are just wonderful places for algae to grow. They are usually nice and warm and fish waste makes great algae food. (It makes good plant food, too. Try using the water you take out when you do a water change to water your potted plants. They will love it!) The other thing that algae (and plants) need to grow is light. Your tank is probably in a nice bright spot so you can see the colors of your fish. You may even have added some nice aquarium lights to show off the fish better. Well, you just about made the perfect home for algae.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the link to where this came from
I think this sums it up very nicely. Nutrients are not technically the cause however, they are the only thing that is practical to control.

This gives me a though. I always assumed algae spores are just present in the air. Transferred by surface contact as well. That is what spores do after all. Spread. This thread has got me thinking. I wonder what % of spores just comes right through the tap? Would a micron filter help? I decided probably not. When I do SW all my water goes through RODI. Eventually, algae comes for it's initial brown diatom then green dust stage. I usually don't even bother with nutrient control until after those stages pass. What does everyone else think? Micro filter for pre treating tap a waste of time for algae prevention?
Old 09-04-2015, 12:09 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod0987 View Post
I think this sums it up very nicely. Nutrients are not technically the cause however, they are the only thing that is practical to control.

This gives me a though. I always assumed algae spores are just present in the air. Transferred by surface contact as well. That is what spores do after all. Spread. This thread has got me thinking. I wonder what % of spores just comes right through the tap? Would a micron filter help? I decided probably not. When I do SW all my water goes through RODI. Eventually, algae comes for it's initial brown diatom then green dust stage. I usually don't even bother with nutrient control until after those stages pass. What does everyone else think? Micro filter for pre treating tap a waste of time for algae prevention?

I feel you would be chasing a white rabbit. Even if it removed the spores from the water, as you added plants, fish, live rock, or put your hands in the tank to remove rearrange you would be adding anyway.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:53 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Worst untrue aquarium myth?

Deleted
Old 09-04-2015, 03:04 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I think this sums it up very nicely. Nutrients are not technically the cause however, they are the only thing that is practical to control. ?

If you controlled your lighting then you can reduce/restrict algae growth completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
+1 excess nutrients certainly contribute or algae couldn't grow.

Take a cup of your tank water and add as much ferts to it as you wish. Place it in a dark place for a week. Let me know if you get any algae growth. I bet you dont. Yes algae needs nutrients to grow but it is actually the light that drives it. This is what people struggle with

Old 09-04-2015, 03:18 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk3lly View Post
If you controlled your lighting then you can reduce/restrict algae growth completely.

Take a cup of your tank water and add as much ferts to it as you wish. Place it in a dark place for a week. Let me know if you get any algae growth. I bet you dont. Yes algae needs nutrients to grow but it is actually the light that drives it. This is what people struggle with

Some people have plants and can't keep a tank without the light. Some people just don't like a dark tank. They would like a light on and perhaps for 8-12 hours. I probably would recommend keeping it around 8 with a fish only myself. However, there is a way to do it with nutrient control as well. Perhaps we could agree that when dealing with Algae a combined approach of lighting amount and nutrient control is a good way?
Old 09-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Some people have plants and can't keep a tank without the light. Some people just don't like a dark tank. They would like a light on and perhaps for 8-12 hours. I probably would recommend keeping it around 8 with a fish only myself. However, there is a way to do it with nutrient control as well. Perhaps we could agree that when dealing with Algae a combined approach of lighting amount and nutrient control is a good way?

Yes i wasnt suggesting having an unlit tank. Thanks for your response though.

If you research into EI nutrient dosing you will see it is all about excess nutrients. Plenty of tanks using EI with no algae.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk3lly View Post

So you think that if you placed a cup of water completely and continually devoid of nutrients under intense lighting algae would grow?

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com