Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
So you think that if you placed a cup of water completely and continually devoid of nutrients under intense lighting algae would grow?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
If pure water (ro) was used I do not think anything would grow. It would have to be conducted in an airtight setting. Fly poop could trash the whole experiment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #52
member

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lawrence, Ks
Posts: 3,907
I agree... Too many variables when not done in an enclosed/airtight system.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
PoppaRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
gemach7's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
If pure water (ro) was used I do not think anything would grow. It would have to be conducted in an airtight setting. Fly poop could trash the whole experiment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol brookster.

This would be a rough experiment to carry out. You would basically need a clean room to start off so knew the tank and everything were devoid of any.




Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
gemach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,313
It's a purely hypothetical situation that proves nutrients contribute to algae which I believe is all I said lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sk3lly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Windsor. England
Posts: 2,918
I think that if anyone here is of the believing nutrients are more of a cause of algae than lighting, then they should maybe do some research into the beliefs of professional aquascapers. People who are paid and earn money from growing plants in fish tanks.

Now ive met some professional aquascapers and have had long in depth chats with them. Im more swayed by their beliefs than what i am reading here! Also i know in my tanks im running high nutrient levels and its not affecting anything adversely. This is all subjective though


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Sk3lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,675
I foresee some thread cleaning coming, so let's sum it up, in fw algae GROWTH is mainly contributed to lighting being more intense than the ferts/co2 being used can handle and in sw algae GROWTH is due to excess nutrients in the water and possibly the wrong spectrum of light being used. But either way algae spores aren't reliant on any of these things


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk3lly View Post
I think that if anyone here is of the believing nutrients are more of a cause of algae than lighting, then they should maybe do some research into the beliefs of professional aquascapers. People who are paid and earn money from growing plants in fish tanks.

Now ive met some professional aquascapers and have had long in depth chats with them. Im more swayed by their beliefs than what i am reading here! Also i know in my tanks im running high nutrient levels and its not affecting anything adversely. This is all subjective though


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Skelly. What on earth are you on about? Nobody said nutrients are more of a cause of algae they just have to be there as well as light for algae to grow.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
I foresee some thread cleaning coming, so let's sum it up, in fw algae GROWTH is mainly contributed to lighting being more intense than the ferts/co2 being used can handle and in sw algae GROWTH is due to excess nutrients in the water and possibly the wrong spectrum of light being used. But either way algae spores aren't reliant on any of these things


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll go with that


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
gemach7's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 607
Found this link.

http://www.firsttankguide.net/myths.php

I don't quite get the tank cycling ones. But rest are normal.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
gemach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 0
Algae

Hi all - new user but not new aquarist Thought I might chip in my two cents re the algae thing. I have had a 20 gal in my bedroom for some years, and it has had no algae at all for over a decade, with no specific 'algae eaters' either. I keep bristlenose plecos as my algae eater of choice, specifically albinos, my fave, but only in my bigger 35 gal tank. At any rate, we had our windows done and changed the window covering slightly last year, and boom, algae. My little pygmy cories seem to enjoy grazing on it so I have let it be but it is unsightly. The tank has two CF 13 watt bulbs, equivalent to about 120-130 watts - it is heavily planted with crypts, endocoryne and java moss, and all the plants do fine, but like I said not a speck of algae for over a decade. I use no fertilizer at all, no CO2 and for that matter not even a heater.

I am convinced (therefore) that direct sunlight and direct sunlight only is what will cause a bloom if nothing is there. Just my two cents but the cause in this case was obvious and had an immediate effect.

OH PS my favourite peeve? "These guys will get along just fine together" Ok, sure, I'll take the little red-tailed catfish to go along with my angel fish and neon tetras!" Peeve #2 actually drives me crazy - betas, as in new softwares to test or greek letter b's, as opposed to bettas, which are Siamese fighting fish.
__________________

__________________
metallhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the worst aquarium mistake you've made? Loachie Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 34 06-26-2008 08:04 PM
world's worst aquarium? Tostada Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 17 08-13-2006 10:43 PM
Betta myth? Or truth? Devilishturtles Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 17 03-08-2004 02:04 AM
Overfeeding- truth or myth? lyquidphyre Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 21 12-03-2003 09:31 AM
Overskimming. Myth or Reality biotoxin Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 13 11-13-2003 01:29 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.