Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
So you think that if you placed a cup of water completely and continually devoid of nutrients under intense lighting algae would grow?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
If pure water (ro) was used I do not think anything would grow. It would have to be conducted in an airtight setting. Fly poop could trash the whole experiment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #52

POTM Champion

I agree... Too many variables when not done in an enclosed/airtight system.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 09-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
If pure water (ro) was used I do not think anything would grow. It would have to be conducted in an airtight setting. Fly poop could trash the whole experiment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol brookster.

This would be a rough experiment to carry out. You would basically need a clean room to start off so knew the tank and everything were devoid of any.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's a purely hypothetical situation that proves nutrients contribute to algae which I believe is all I said lol.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think that if anyone here is of the believing nutrients are more of a cause of algae than lighting, then they should maybe do some research into the beliefs of professional aquascapers. People who are paid and earn money from growing plants in fish tanks.

Now ive met some professional aquascapers and have had long in depth chats with them. Im more swayed by their beliefs than what i am reading here! Also i know in my tanks im running high nutrient levels and its not affecting anything adversely. This is all subjective though

Old 09-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I foresee some thread cleaning coming, so let's sum it up, in fw algae GROWTH is mainly contributed to lighting being more intense than the ferts/co2 being used can handle and in sw algae GROWTH is due to excess nutrients in the water and possibly the wrong spectrum of light being used. But either way algae spores aren't reliant on any of these things

Old 09-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk3lly View Post
I think that if anyone here is of the believing nutrients are more of a cause of algae than lighting, then they should maybe do some research into the beliefs of professional aquascapers. People who are paid and earn money from growing plants in fish tanks.

Now ive met some professional aquascapers and have had long in depth chats with them. Im more swayed by their beliefs than what i am reading here! Also i know in my tanks im running high nutrient levels and its not affecting anything adversely. This is all subjective though

Skelly. What on earth are you on about? Nobody said nutrients are more of a cause of algae they just have to be there as well as light for algae to grow.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
I foresee some thread cleaning coming, so let's sum it up, in fw algae GROWTH is mainly contributed to lighting being more intense than the ferts/co2 being used can handle and in sw algae GROWTH is due to excess nutrients in the water and possibly the wrong spectrum of light being used. But either way algae spores aren't reliant on any of these things

I'll go with that

Old 09-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Found this link.

http://www.firsttankguide.net/myths.php

I don't quite get the tank cycling ones. But rest are normal.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Algae

Hi all - new user but not new aquarist Thought I might chip in my two cents re the algae thing. I have had a 20 gal in my bedroom for some years, and it has had no algae at all for over a decade, with no specific 'algae eaters' either. I keep bristlenose plecos as my algae eater of choice, specifically albinos, my fave, but only in my bigger 35 gal tank. At any rate, we had our windows done and changed the window covering slightly last year, and boom, algae. My little pygmy cories seem to enjoy grazing on it so I have let it be but it is unsightly. The tank has two CF 13 watt bulbs, equivalent to about 120-130 watts - it is heavily planted with crypts, endocoryne and java moss, and all the plants do fine, but like I said not a speck of algae for over a decade. I use no fertilizer at all, no CO2 and for that matter not even a heater.

I am convinced (therefore) that direct sunlight and direct sunlight only is what will cause a bloom if nothing is there. Just my two cents but the cause in this case was obvious and had an immediate effect.

OH PS my favourite peeve? "These guys will get along just fine together" Ok, sure, I'll take the little red-tailed catfish to go along with my angel fish and neon tetras!" Peeve #2 actually drives me crazy - betas, as in new softwares to test or greek letter b's, as opposed to bettas, which are Siamese fighting fish.

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com