Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinibotia View Post
I've... never heard of that, let alone heard of it as a myth. Care to elaborate?

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In the earlier days of the hobby when most hobbyists had to collect their own food one of the first foods commercially available was dried and pupas, marketed as a great source of protein. In reality they were basically just dry husks with no nutritional value. They have kinda stuck in the hobby as a treat as fish love them but they really have no nutritional value besides a bit of salt. Tried to make it elaborate.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Old 09-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticAquarist View Post
In the earlier days of the hobby when most hobbyists had to collect their own food one of the first foods commercially available was dried and pupas, marketed as a great source of protein. In reality they were basically just dry husks with no nutritional value. They have kinda stuck in the hobby as a treat as fish love them but they really have no nutritional value besides a bit of salt. Tried to make it elaborate.

In general insects have very low nutritional value without the variety offered in the wild. Why almost all live foods need to be "gut loaded" or supplemented with a flake or pellet in addition too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-04-2015, 10:36 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That all aquariums have ich in them all the time!
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:38 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
That all aquariums have ich in them all the time!

Good one!

Old 09-04-2015, 10:58 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
But who cares if the spores are there, what causes the GROWTH is more important imo. Some spores being present in all water, and a tank with rocks full of GHA are 2 different things Andy, and the second is only going to be caused by excess nutrients, and you know this.

Once again, maybe I'm getting too technical here ( I'm fighting for ya Sk3 ) The spore is the algae. If the spores are not already present, the algae we see will not grow due to nutrients and lights and water. The comment was that the nutrients cause the algae and they still don't. They feed the algae to make it visible to the naked eye but it was already there, wasn't it?
It's like if a kid walks down the street and sees a dog and the dog bites him/her, did the kid create the dog? No, the dog was already there. If the dog wasn't there already, the kid would not have been bitten. Just like the nutrients, they don't cause the algae. It's already there, just not in a form you can see. ( Tricky, eh? It's the technicality of the comment.)

So let's put this to rest until we get a language expert in here to arbitrate. Okay?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:00 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Once again, maybe I'm getting too technical here ( I'm fighting for ya Sk3 ) The spore is the algae. If the spores are not already present, the algae we see will not grow due to comment if you spot this and lights and water. The comment was that the nutrients cause the algae and they still don't. They feed the algae to make it visible to the naked eye but it was already there, wasn't it?

It's like if a kid walks down the street and sees a dog and the dog bites him/her, did the kid create the dog? No, the dog was already there. If the dog wasn't there already, the kid would not have been bitten. Just like the nutrients, they don't cause the algae. It's already there, just not in a form you can see. ( Tricky, eh? It's the technicality of the comment.)

So let's put this to rest until we get a language expert in here to arbitrate. Okay?

True!

Old 09-04-2015, 11:06 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

Andy..... where you been mister

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 09-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Once again, maybe I'm getting too technical here ( I'm fighting for ya Sk3 ) The spore is the algae. If the spores are not already present, the algae we see will not grow due to nutrients and lights and water. The comment was that the nutrients cause the algae and they still don't. They feed the algae to make it visible to the naked eye but it was already there, wasn't it?

LOL Agreed. I'm happy to see that for once the whole algae debate happened in a way that really brought out all the aspects of the problem in a polite and useful way. I think the question should be "What factors contribute to algae" from now on instead of "What causes Algae" Which technically...Is the spores 10 Points for gryffindor.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ain't the English language a hoot? There's a good reason for y'all to stay in school and study it. It may come up on Jeopardy.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:08 AM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk3lly View Post

Freshwater by making sure the lighting level is in balance with co2 and nutrients

This is the perfect sentence IMO. Algae seems to struggle to take hold in aquarium with rampant and healthy plants growth. Why this is exactly is a question that has been under debate for many years with scientists with no definitive answer. There are many hypothesis though.

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com