Worst untrue aquarium myth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, they don't.:nono: They FEED the algae but do not CAUSE the algae. Algae spores are everywhere in the water ( fresh, salt, tap, well, ocean, land) and just need the proper environment for them to grow into the wonderful colored messes we all hate. ( Grrrr) So I think Sk3lly gets this one because of the word "cause". (y)

Ya but if there aren't excess nutrients in the water the they don't grow, strictly speaking sw here though. If you keep your nitrate and phosphate in check then you get no algae growth

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ya but if there aren't excess nutrients in the water the they don't grow, strictly speaking sw here though. If you keep your nitrate and phosphate in check then you get no algae growth

Yes, I understand SW very well ;) The point is that even without the presence of nutrients and light, Algae spores will still exist in the tank. It's because the nutrients are there that the algae can grow. But again, they don't CAUSE the algae, they just feed it. ;)
Here's an excerpt for a better explanation:
Re: What is algae and where does it come from?

Date: Mon May 29 22:07:49 2000
Posted By: Karen Culver-Rymsza, Biological Oceanographer
Area of science: Botany

Where did your algae come from?
Even purified drinking water can have algae in it. Algae can form spores, which are very tough special cells that can survive rough treatment, even the local water purification system. Yes, the local water company will kill nearly all, but you need only one spore to survive and reach your tank for an algae bloom to start there. The algae could also have come in with the fish, or any thing else you put in your tank. Some fish food even contains algae.
Fish tanks are just wonderful places for algae to grow. They are usually nice and warm and fish waste makes great algae food. (It makes good plant food, too. Try using the water you take out when you do a water change to water your potted plants. They will love it!) The other thing that algae (and plants) need to grow is light. Your tank is probably in a nice bright spot so you can see the colors of your fish. You may even have added some nice aquarium lights to show off the fish better. Well, you just about made the perfect home for algae.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the link to where this came from (y)

My favorite myth is that fish will stay the size of the aquarium you put them in. False.

Where did your algae come from?
Even purified drinking water can have algae in it. Algae can form spores, which are very tough special cells that can survive rough treatment, even the local water purification system. Yes, the local water company will kill nearly all, but you need only one spore to survive and reach your tank for an algae bloom to start there. The algae could also have come in with the fish, or any thing else you put in your tank. Some fish food even contains algae.
Fish tanks are just wonderful places for algae to grow. They are usually nice and warm and fish waste makes great algae food. (It makes good plant food, too. Try using the water you take out when you do a water change to water your potted plants. They will love it!) The other thing that algae (and plants) need to grow is light. Your tank is probably in a nice bright spot so you can see the colors of your fish. You may even have added some nice aquarium lights to show off the fish better. Well, you just about made the perfect home for algae.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the link to where this came from (y)

I think this sums it up very nicely. Nutrients are not technically the cause however, they are the only thing that is practical to control.

This gives me a though. I always assumed algae spores are just present in the air. Transferred by surface contact as well. That is what spores do after all. Spread. This thread has got me thinking. I wonder what % of spores just comes right through the tap? Would a micron filter help? I decided probably not. When I do SW all my water goes through RODI. Eventually, algae comes for it's initial brown diatom then green dust stage. I usually don't even bother with nutrient control until after those stages pass. What does everyone else think? Micro filter for pre treating tap a waste of time for algae prevention?

I think this sums it up very nicely. Nutrients are not technically the cause however, they are the only thing that is practical to control.

This gives me a though. I always assumed algae spores are just present in the air. Transferred by surface contact as well. That is what spores do after all. Spread. This thread has got me thinking. I wonder what % of spores just comes right through the tap? Would a micron filter help? I decided probably not. When I do SW all my water goes through RODI. Eventually, algae comes for it's initial brown diatom then green dust stage. I usually don't even bother with nutrient control until after those stages pass. What does everyone else think? Micro filter for pre treating tap a waste of time for algae prevention?

I feel you would be chasing a white rabbit. Even if it removed the spores from the water, as you added plants, fish, live rock, or put your hands in the tank to remove rearrange you would be adding anyway.

I think this sums it up very nicely. Nutrients are not technically the cause however, they are the only thing that is practical to control. ?

If you controlled your lighting then you can reduce/restrict algae growth completely.

+1 excess nutrients certainly contribute or algae couldn't grow.

Take a cup of your tank water and add as much ferts to it as you wish. Place it in a dark place for a week. Let me know if you get any algae growth. I bet you dont. Yes algae needs nutrients to grow but it is actually the light that drives it. This is what people struggle with

If you controlled your lighting then you can reduce/restrict algae growth completely.

Take a cup of your tank water and add as much ferts to it as you wish. Place it in a dark place for a week. Let me know if you get any algae growth. I bet you dont. Yes algae needs nutrients to grow but it is actually the light that drives it. This is what people struggle with

Some people have plants and can't keep a tank without the light. Some people just don't like a dark tank. They would like a light on and perhaps for 8-12 hours. I probably would recommend keeping it around 8 with a fish only myself. However, there is a way to do it with nutrient control as well. Perhaps we could agree that when dealing with Algae a combined approach of lighting amount and nutrient control is a good way?

Some people have plants and can't keep a tank without the light. Some people just don't like a dark tank. They would like a light on and perhaps for 8-12 hours. I probably would recommend keeping it around 8 with a fish only myself. However, there is a way to do it with nutrient control as well. Perhaps we could agree that when dealing with Algae a combined approach of lighting amount and nutrient control is a good way?

Yes i wasnt suggesting having an unlit tank. Thanks for your response though.

If you research into EI nutrient dosing you will see it is all about excess nutrients. Plenty of tanks using EI with no algae.

So you think that if you placed a cup of water completely and continually devoid of nutrients under intense lighting algae would grow?

So you think that if you placed a cup of water completely and continually devoid of nutrients under intense lighting algae would grow?

If pure water (ro) was used I do not think anything would grow. It would have to be conducted in an airtight setting. Fly poop could trash the whole experiment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree... Too many variables when not done in an enclosed/airtight system.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If pure water (ro) was used I do not think anything would grow. It would have to be conducted in an airtight setting. Fly poop could trash the whole experiment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol brookster.

This would be a rough experiment to carry out. You would basically need a clean room to start off so knew the tank and everything were devoid of any.

It's a purely hypothetical situation that proves nutrients contribute to algae which I believe is all I said lol.

I think that if anyone here is of the believing nutrients are more of a cause of algae than lighting, then they should maybe do some research into the beliefs of professional aquascapers. People who are paid and earn money from growing plants in fish tanks.

Now ive met some professional aquascapers and have had long in depth chats with them. Im more swayed by their beliefs than what i am reading here! Also i know in my tanks im running high nutrient levels and its not affecting anything adversely. This is all subjective though

I foresee some thread cleaning coming, so let's sum it up, in fw algae GROWTH is mainly contributed to lighting being more intense than the ferts/co2 being used can handle and in sw algae GROWTH is due to excess nutrients in the water and possibly the wrong spectrum of light being used. But either way algae spores aren't reliant on any of these things

I think that if anyone here is of the believing nutrients are more of a cause of algae than lighting, then they should maybe do some research into the beliefs of professional aquascapers. People who are paid and earn money from growing plants in fish tanks.

Now ive met some professional aquascapers and have had long in depth chats with them. Im more swayed by their beliefs than what i am reading here! Also i know in my tanks im running high nutrient levels and its not affecting anything adversely. This is all subjective though

Skelly. What on earth are you on about? Nobody said nutrients are more of a cause of algae they just have to be there as well as light for algae to grow.

I foresee some thread cleaning coming, so let's sum it up, in fw algae GROWTH is mainly contributed to lighting being more intense than the ferts/co2 being used can handle and in sw algae GROWTH is due to excess nutrients in the water and possibly the wrong spectrum of light being used. But either way algae spores aren't reliant on any of these things

I'll go with that :)

Algae

Hi all - new user but not new aquarist :) Thought I might chip in my two cents re the algae thing. I have had a 20 gal in my bedroom for some years, and it has had no algae at all for over a decade, with no specific 'algae eaters' either. I keep bristlenose plecos as my algae eater of choice, specifically albinos, my fave, but only in my bigger 35 gal tank. At any rate, we had our windows done and changed the window covering slightly last year, and boom, algae. My little pygmy cories seem to enjoy grazing on it so I have let it be but it is unsightly. The tank has two CF 13 watt bulbs, equivalent to about 120-130 watts - it is heavily planted with crypts, endocoryne and java moss, and all the plants do fine, but like I said not a speck of algae for over a decade. I use no fertilizer at all, no CO2 and for that matter not even a heater.

I am convinced (therefore) that direct sunlight and direct sunlight only is what will cause a bloom if nothing is there. Just my two cents but the cause in this case was obvious and had an immediate effect.

OH PS my favourite peeve? "These guys will get along just fine together" Ok, sure, I'll take the little red-tailed catfish to go along with my angel fish and neon tetras!" Peeve #2 actually drives me crazy - betas, as in new softwares to test or greek letter b's, as opposed to bettas, which are Siamese fighting fish.

Back
Top Bottom