Worst untrue aquarium myth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First bit of mis information I can think of is a fish will only grow to size of tank they are in.

1 inch fish, per gallon...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Freshwater clean up crews

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The "QuickStart" stuff from tetra, that supposedly cycles your tank in a day or whatevrr

Sent via echolocation

Woa!! I thought it would be? I mean I've never done SW so this was just tales from the SW guy here at work. Just curious.

Besides startup being a little more expensive what I see as "extra work with salt"
My opinion only lol.
Topping off everyday to insure constant salinity.
A little bit more water testing.
Salt mix can take time to fully mix.
Avoid these buy an auto top off and mix your salt the day before a water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Besides startup being a little more expensive what I see as "extra work with salt"
My opinion only lol.
Topping off everyday to insure constant salinity.
A little bit more water testing.
Salt mix can take time to fully mix.
Avoid these buy an auto top off and mix your salt the day before a water change.

Thanks for the info! That does sound good.

Got another myth (although no idea how). This one was your external air pump can be used in the tank as a heater.

Yeah sw isn't to bad. Just expensive. I'd rather mix saltwater and test more often than gravel vac and deal with plants :). Ugh plants...

oof, a close one between needing an algae eater and an inch per gallon. Or how about "Run the tank+equipment for a few days and then your tank is cycled and you can add all the fish"?

LFS staff always know what they are talking about.

The one I buy food from keeps trying to sell me an Arowana that was donated to them. :/

My favorite is " you don't need water conditioners like Prime. They are just a gimmick to get your money"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My favorite is " you don't need water conditioners like Prime. They are just a gimmick to get your money"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well you really don't if you're willing to let the water sit and gas out.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

1 inch fish, per gallon...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I felt so dumb one time I posted some advice and unfortunately people jumped down my throat because of this advice:(. I didn't know it wasn't true for the longest time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom