Would you drink your tank's water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had a mouthful of my saltwater tank before from not being quick with the syphon :p

Then while I was doing a pwc for my aunt's tank, my smart idea was to raise the bucket (her tank was on a pretty tall stand) and syphon from bucket to tank. I just ended up with a wet shirt and a stomach full of dechlorinated water. Oh and I was burping all day haha

Why would anyone want to drink diluted urine, no thanks. use a longer hose when syphoning and you won't drink the stuff ugh!!.

Pete

I don't know about drinking tank water. I did find a discarded piece of air tubing from when I changed air pumps in my kids' room...chewed.

I'm sure the occasional exposure (such as accidental when you're siphoning, etc) is OK. But then Alcohol is ok in small doses, too, but in large doses it is a poison. There could easily be a bacteria in there that when you're exposed to enough of it it will totally mess you up.

I doubt it. I guess it is possible, as some streams aren't safe to drink from... but I'm pretty sure that's due to pollution.

For all of you that said you would never drink your tank water... What happens if something huge goes down.. no electric, no running water, no anything. Would you not drink the water from your tank to stay alive? I sure would!

For all of you that said you would never drink your tank water... What happens if something huge goes down.. no electric, no running water, no anything. Would you not drink the water from your tank to stay alive? I sure would!

If that were the scenario, and there were really no other options I suppose I would because we'd all die soon anyway.

This is why I keep a good supply of bottled water, sodas, juices etc on hand at all times.

I know what my fish do in their water, I'm not drinking that. Back to my comment about drinking from the toilet. *Shudders*

Ugh, I accidently drank a good amount of tank water when I was upgrading to my 75g FOWLR from my 40g FOWLR. I used those grey tubes that flex to siphon the water out of the 40 into buckets to dump. Well I couldn't see through it but I sucked really hard thinking this was required since it was a wider tube. It only took just a tab bit to start the fast siphon...I had no time to react. It felt like a 1/4 gallon instantly jammed into my mouth and I started choking really bad. My girlfriend ran out in the living room and I was coughing for a good 10 minutes. I told her..."This is probably the dumbest thing I've done since starting this hobby...wow. I'll probably never tell anyone about this." I had no idea it was that powerful. Oh well I've read worse so it's all good lol. Felt like I wiped out after riding a bogie board and hitting a huge wave with my mouth open…

My outside dogs drink fishy water everyday. (I have goldfish in my dogs water barrels.) So I suppose if it was a necessity I wouldnt have any problems with it.

I've swallowed saltwater from my tank before.. and it didn't taste all that good. I've accidentally swallowed sw from a nice beach before, and it didn't taste all THAT bad, and i also have swallowed a bit from a bay... Now that tasted disgusting. It really did taste different.

Either way, i wouldn't. If i was in a life or death situation, i wouldn't either. I'm sure drinking saltwater would kill me quicker then just dehydrating.

Phlex said:
My outside dogs drink fishy water everyday. (I have goldfish in my dogs water barrels.) So I suppose if it was a necessity I wouldnt have any problems with it.

Umm... May I ask why? Lol.

keeps algea down.. they never get fed anything but what falls in the barrels and the algea.

did you ever siphon water out of you tank get a mouthful and swallow i dont think so you spit that crap out lol

LOL. I've done that like, twice. XD Actually it didn't taste that bad, but I still spit it out!

Back
Top Bottom