Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2005, 11:48 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I won't be getting one, sorry but I had an xbox with the mod chip (I could play any copied game) I just didn't like it. It was bulky, the controllers were nasty.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 11-18-2005, 01:33 AM   #22

i personally prefer the old NES... i miss that thing... too many buttons on all the new stations but i guess thats what technology is all about..
ANYWAY... My hubby has an Xbox and wants a 360 for christmas or whenever it comes out... I had always played Nintendo or Playstation but he is totally into his Xbox soooo xbox it is.
My thing is all the games i like... or used to like, were playstation games, and now they are starting to make the games so they can be played on all systems (Pretty awesome) but i miss playing crash, frogger, jet moto...
the one thing i have found that i love on Xbox though.. Halo 2.. i never played Halo... but Halo 2 got me addicted to the game... i never even played the actual game.. just the multiplayer stuff. good times.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:23 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
Personally I'll go for the 360 because of XBox live. I loved the PS and PS2 and didn't really see a major difference until XBox live came out between the consoles. Playstation is going to have to launch something like that I believe in order for the PS3 to compete.
Playstation does have online gaming. And last I checked, it was free. How much do you have to pay for xbox live? I've heard toooooooo many complaints about xbox live (especially with halo2 rankings) to even want to considering paying for such a "service". I don't know if the new playstation's online service will have a price tag or not.

Quote:
I wount be getting a ps3 just because I can't get halo3 for it.
FPS are best on a PC. They are simply easier to play using a mouse/keyboard combination. If I could get that on a console, I might consider it. At this point there are certain genres that the PC owns, specifically first person shooters and real time strategy.

I won't be rushing out to buy any system. I usually give it a year to see where the system is headed. It's usually lower in price and has a decent game selection at that point.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Playstation does have online gaming and it is a pain in the rear. I've done it and it's extremely frustrating with all the cheating and disconnects. I'll pay $5 a month so that when I do want to play a sports game I'm not going to get someone who quits at half because they're losing because I can check disconnect rate and a whole host of other stats on them. It helps alot. And quite frankly $5 a month is a huge bargain for the job that Bungie did cleaning up the cheating on Halo 2. Also, the only people complaining about the Halo 2 rankings are those that cheated their way to a high level, got found out, and are now mad that Bungie banned and/or deleveled them. Other than that, the Rankings got reset once to put in new gametypes and clean up cheating, and pretty much everyone has a higher level after the update than before, I see no reason to complain.
If PS3 has a new service I guarantee it will cost money, and I would buy it. I would welcome the PS3 adding it.
If FPS were so much better on PC I think that the sales would indicate that. Alot more people have a PC than a PS2 or XBox. Yet the numbers say that console games sell at an exponentially higher rate than PC games. If you love PC gaming, good for you, it is a good, and different experience. However numbers aren't on your side. The PC hasn't owned FPS since Goldeneye came out. And it won't own them anymore now that xbox live has come out. Even Playstation fanboys admit that Microsoft owns the FPS genre.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:30 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
Online gaming for the playstation - never - gave me any trouble.
I am a definite Ps3 girl, And thats where my money will be going.
Sides, FF Games and square own my soul :/
I think it really depends on what games you intend on playing aswell. While the xbox has had great games, they havent really had alot of great RPGS.
For RPG players like myself, ps3 will be worth it.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:42 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rach, did you ever play The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind? I spent many, many hours in front of the TV that summer. Anyway, it was a really great RPG for Xbox. But we did end up selling the Xbox in favor of the PS2. There were just way more games that appealed to us on the PS2, like the Grand Theft Auto games.

Back on topic, I won't be buying either the 360 or the PS3 until there are significant price drops.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:46 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yet the numbers say that console games sell at an exponentially higher rate than PC games. If you love PC gaming, good for you, it is a good, and different experience. However numbers aren't on your side. The PC hasn't owned FPS since Goldeneye came out. And it won't own them anymore now that xbox live has come out. Even Playstation fanboys admit that Microsoft owns the FPS genre.
Your logic is a bit flawed if not entirely incorrect. First off, not everybody who owns a PC plays video games so they are not adding to your "sales = popularity" equation. A lot of people use a PC for internet access or work related reasons only. And the there is the fact that game consoles are pretty much as user friendly as can possibly be; you put the game in and it works. There are no issues with incompatability or viruses or weatherbug running in the background messing everything up. PC's require intelligence to successfully operate as there are many possible configurations. Since most people don't really know as much about PC's as they think they do (kinda like most people don't know squat about their car and how it works), they buy consoles to play their games on.

Since the only software available for purchase on the consoles are games, it would make sense that they would sell more games then anyone else. Here is the latest tracking info from the NPD Group. Looks like the first xbox title on the list is at 4th place just behind Mario Superstar Baseball...

September 2005 numbers

But I wasn't talking about numbers to begin with. I was talking about ease of play. It may take a little more coordination to play with a keyboard and mouse, but once you are used to it, you can do things that are pretty much impossible with a controller. It would be interesting to watch a group of PC's play a FPS game against a bunch of consoles.

And Microsoft certainly does NOT own the FPS genre. I would say that title would go to either Valve (Half Life) or Id (Quake & Doom).
Old 11-18-2005, 04:50 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
One of the few great rpgs for xbox
Old 11-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach101
Quote:
This and the expansion/special edition is even better on a PC...
Old 11-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Rach101 wrote:
Quote:

This and the expansion/special edition is even better on a PC...
Yeah, tons.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com