Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2005, 09:43 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The Knights of the Old Republic was a great RPG for XBox.

What are you going to use to measure popularity if you don't use sales? Just some arbitrary value of how you believe that playing on a PC is better than a console. That's not a good measure. The most popular PC game of the year isn't going to come anywhere close to selling as many units as the console games do. That's just how it is. The XBox has the best FPS on it's console from this last geneneration with the exception of Metal Gear Solid. Valve and ID are developers, I'm talking about consoles. Bungie's Halo games, The Tom Clancy Games, Unreal, Doom 3, the list goes on of popular FPS on XBox and it has alot to do with XBox Live's popularity.

Most people in this country prefer consoles to PC's because A)It's easy and B) It's alot cheaper--an XBOX 360 is $400 and a top of the line PC can be over $3000. It's fine that you love PC gaming but quite hating on everyone who doesn't.

If you hooked up a PC version of a game versus a console game the mouse would allow the PC player to own the console player because of the difference in the finiteness and accuracy of the hardware. You know what, that doesn't matter to most people, it doesn't to me and I played all the FPS classics growing up on the PC.

Look Back at your numbers link you gave me, the first FPS is TOm Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown for what----XBox. I wasn't arguing about any other genre. PS hands down beats XBox rears in the RPG genre and many others.

I'm not arguing anymore, just don't flame anyone anymore for gaming on a console just because you love the PC. That's fine that you love the PC, I respect that. Some of us others prefer consoles.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
I'm not arguing anymore, just don't flame anyone anymore for gaming on a console just because you love the PC. That's fine that you love the PC, I respect that. Some of us others prefer consoles.
Flaming? You're taking this all wrong, buddy. All I said is that the pc is the best platform for FPS and RTS games (although it was fun to play C&C on two connected playstations).

As far as the numbers are concerned, the link I provided was for consoles only. And it was there to show that xbox popularity was below playstation. Look through their archives and you'll see that xbox doesn't have nearly as many top sellers as playstation does. Most of the xbox top ten are multi platform releases (madden 2006 for example).

After giving it a little more thought, I'm guessing that the reason that xbox has so many FPS is because most people who play FPS aren't going to do it on a console. They'll do it on a pc instead. That provides an untapped market for xbox as no other system is going to put out any FPS as they don't have much popularity for consoles. Since nobody else is putting them out, the company that does will have their own niche. If you want a FPS for a console, it's going to be on xbox.

I still own most of my consoles; 8 bit nintendo, super nintendo, N64, genesis, saturn, PS 1 and 2. I recently sold my 3DO and turbo grafx-16. Aside from the convenience of emulators, I'll keep playing the old games on them until they stop working. As far as my preference is concerned, it really depends on the game. RTS, FPS, city building, military strategy will all be played on a PC. Most RPG and sports games are on a console.

Just look at my first post in this thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deli_conker
Sorry, Playstation all the way...

Old 11-19-2005, 01:12 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Allright, I apologize if I took it the wrong way. No harm, no foul.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:29 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

Xbox 360. Anyways i would get a pc but i don't like how you have to use the keyboard to play. I always press the wrong things cuz the keys are so close together.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:15 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrcrazypants05
BTW... poppab02... It's a lot easier to "share" computer games these days. I don't think we can rely on sales to show how popular a computer game is. Thanks.

Let's not forget... Even consoles are computers... How do you think they process things. The only reason consoles are so cheap is because companies like Sony and Microsoft can buy their cpu's and gpu's in quantities. That in turn means lower prices... so for that x800 you paid $500 for one... they bought 900,000 for $10 a piece.

I just felt like jumping in, because I love PC FPS... but I like console RPG's and some other game types.
65RR - SW - 30g Sump w/fuge - 40lbs MI LR 30lbs Base - 4-5"Sand Bed - 2 false black perculas, 1 six line wrasse, 1 peppermint shrimp, 6 zebra hermits, 6 blue leg hermits, 6 nassarius snails, 6 astrea snails
Old 11-19-2005, 10:05 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
Okay after reading this Im still lost. Me and my brother are avid Xboxers.. We have 3 xboxs, 1 in my room 1 in his room and 1 in the living room, over 70 original games and heaps of controllers. QUESTION is .. can we play old games on the 360..? Its not due out here for a while but would like to know..
Old 11-19-2005, 10:27 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes you can.

Anyways in the paper to day it said not to buy the xbox now because the developers have to learn how to make great games. They said it looked like and xbox game. I highly doubt it though.

I AM GETTINAN XBOX 360
Old 11-20-2005, 04:39 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrcrazypants05
You won't be able to use your old controllers though. The only other ports are USB I believe. Not all original games will be compatible to start... it may take a while depending on how popular the game is. I might get an Xbox 360, but it won't be till summer next year. I'll also get a ps3.
65RR - SW - 30g Sump w/fuge - 40lbs MI LR 30lbs Base - 4-5"Sand Bed - 2 false black perculas, 1 six line wrasse, 1 peppermint shrimp, 6 zebra hermits, 6 blue leg hermits, 6 nassarius snails, 6 astrea snails
Old 11-24-2005, 06:26 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you buy the hard drive you can play certain old games, the list is different for each country. No you can't use the old controllers.
As for the new games. Perfect Dark Zero, Call of Duty 2, and Project Gotham Racing 3 are some of the best reviewed games to come out in the last 6 months. There probably isn't another Halo in the group for this XBox launch but there are still good games available. As with any new console it will take years before developers learn how to tap into the consoles true power, they only really did that in the last year or so with the PS2 and original XBox.
I still have no idea how one is suppossed to gauge popularity except through sales in a society with a free market economy. What other possibility is there besides some arbitrary feeling? Seriously, if anybody has another system I am seriously open to other ideas. I hate gauging by sales as well.
Trust me, I know how much computer games are shared. Personally I think its moronic for PC gamers to do it. Don't you want to support this developer who gave you a great game so that they make more like it? Heck, I've even went out and bought console games that I beat while I rented it to give support. I think that it's facilitated the switch in society of alot of gamers to consoles because some developers simply won't go near a PC anymore because of all the sharing. And gamers follow the good games. Alot of people own XBox's simply for Halo or PS2's for Final Fantasy, gamers love gameplay above all. And I like PC gaming as well but it's not the be all end all of gaming as I think alot of PC gamers tend to think. Neither is the XBox. It's just different preferences.
I really don't care how they keep console prices down, all I know is the same video card can be had for $400 in a console as opposed to $1000+ PC.

I will be buying a 360. I might buy a PS3 depending on games available and price of console---my major worry with the PS3. But the most interesting system I think of this generation may be the Nintendo Revolution. Alot of people criticize the controller but it looks an awful lot like the old NES controller, which I still use and love (gotta break out the Mike Tyson's Punch Out at least once every 3 months). I just think there's a huge market for games that are fun but not hard to learn. Try explaining Halo to someone who's never played before and then try to get them to play it, it's extremely frustrating and difficult for them and they end up giving up. Now give them a NES controller and Mario. It doesn't look good, but I guarantee they like it alot more. Plus the promise of access to their whole gaming library. I'm pretty excited. The gamecube era just wasn't for me personally, but I'm ready to switch back to Nintendo if they come strong with the revolution.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:28 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh yeah, and this shortage of 360's is driving me nuts. Completely nuts. I missed getting one by one person on launch day and now there's nothing to do but hope and wait.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com