You don't want this jelly in your donut!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I went to a nature preserve located on Northport Bay in Centerport, Long Island. This is a marshy area with lots of mudflats - I shouldn't have worn sneakers. :roll:

Here are some pics of live jellyfish (Moon Jellyfish (Aurelia arita), I think). Some jelly expert, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw about a dozen washed up on the mudflats, and many more in the water. This one obligingly posed for me in a shallow inlet just inches from my feet. The photos were a bear to take because the wind was ripppling the water. I used my 180 mm macro lens, wide open aperture, and a circular polarizing filter to cut through the surface reflections.

There were also millions of these little snails everywhere

Attachments

• northport03.jpg
    northport03.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 52
  • northport02.jpg
    northport02.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 71
  • northport01.jpg
    northport01.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 61
...and the last two.

Attachments

• northport05.jpg
    northport05.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 49
  • northport04.jpg
    northport04.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 41
Is this FW or SW. The white one on the green background looks sort of like the FW medusas that my Uncle gets all over his lake.

Terrific photos Andy :D . Being a life long resident of Long Island I know that the jelly population is a nuisance (especially on the north shore), as the water warms.

QTOFFER was on the north shore of LI and that is salt water off the LI Sound. The difference geologically between the north and south shores of LI is dramatic. The south shore contains some of the best beaches in the world. Huge expanses of soft white sand make up the spits which seperate the ocean from the bays. The north shore is entirely glacial morrain. No sand beaches, just the rocks which are evident in Andys photos.

Great pics, Andy - thanks for sharing!

I think Destiny's Child said it best with the phrase, "I don't think you're ready for this jelly." :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom