Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I won't be buying anything from them. Probably wouldn't have anyway, but now it's a lock.

3 x 20G Freshwater Barbs, Mollies, and Platys
1 x 10G Spawning <chica boom chica boom boom>
Old 11-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are still going to have enough business though, since they sell tanks to the TN aquarium and to local retailers as far as I've been told. But maybe calling the aquariumfish magazine might help some. And writing a review in this forum! I would have been glad if people would have done that for the bad places I've ordered from!

Old 11-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to sherry
Those are good ideas.. I will definately post reviews tonight.. as well as contact the magazine.

Amex is a pretty powerful organization and makes its living backing up consumers. it is one reason (in addition to fees) so many businesses refuse to carry them..

I'm quite certain that in a dispute we'll at least get the cost of the tank back... If nothing else we have photos of the substandard packing..

these folks were truly difficult to deal with. I'm sure Crazy cat will come in with more details.. she was the one they hung up on the telephone and my plants are now living in her 125 gallon tank.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:47 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes Sherry Amex is a powerful company and they will side with the consumer in a clear case of right or wrong. The problem you have is one of liability. The laws are very clear with regard to freight and point of liability. I own a company that ships and receives millions of pounds of freight a year.

You've received damaged goods and you're making the assumption that it was caused by shoddy packaging. Glasscages won't make that assumption and neither will Amex. Now you don't want to hear this because in reality you're the injured party but legally, the responsibility is with whomever has possesion of the freight. Once you signed for it you took possesion making it your responsibility to file the claim for damaged freight. Not GlassCages.

GlassCages and Amex will see it as damage that occured in transport. Fedex was only paid for the cost shipment, not the merchandise. Amex can't credit your account through them because they weren't paid by you. Amex won't credit your account through GlassCages because they are legally bound by the laws governing freight.

Once you get over being angry at GlassCages you'll realize that what likely occured is that Fedex cracked your tank and they should be held responsible. Here's what happens. The tank is picked up at the factory and taken to a central depot. There it is palletized and trucked to a regional distribution center where it is unpacked and sent out for local delivery. Maybe a forklift operator bumped into it. Maybe too much weight was stacked on top of it. Maybe it slipped off a pallet or was dropped 12 feet. You really don't know.

Cat knows me and hopefully she'll tell you I'm trying to help you not lose everything. You have 30 days to file a claim for damaged freight. If you wait until Amex tells you to file a claim, you might be too late.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

File a report at ripoffreport.com. People do look there before making decissions wheather to buy from those companies or not.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

good advice brian!

i think sherry should file claims wherever she can and hope to get some of the money back.

between glasscages' shoddy packing and fedex's obvious mishandling of the packagae, fedex should be accountable too.

and, for the record, i'm really not that snotty! i merely reminded them that they should work with sherry to resolve her problem rather than rush to resolve their own with fedex. and i did it in the nicest of ways. they need to learn the definition of "customer service".
Old 11-24-2005, 06:07 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

If you paid by credit card, read this tread.
http://www.fishheads.org/viewtopic.p...er=asc&start=0
Old 11-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's a very long thread but there is no similarity here except that it took place with the same company. It certainly doesn't make GlassCages look like a quality mfr.

Product not delivered to specification is much easier to prove then product that has been potentially damaged in transit. Even with that, this poor woman had some battle on her hands. The point is once she signed and accepted the delivery, the burden of proof was still on her. Posession being 9/10ths and so on.

Never accept a delivery without inspecting it first.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:40 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

I have to agree. One of the things that we sometimes do is bring our deliveries into the home, sign on the dotted line and then open the packages. By then, it's too late.

There is no rush...advise the delivery person to wait while you unpack the parcels and inspect the contents. The delivery person has no choice but to wait. If they decide to leave without your signature, notify the shipper immediately.

Once you sign, the contract is, by legal standards, finalized ie: Goods recieved by customer in good condition. I learned this lesson the hard way but it was enlightening.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:01 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Our UPS guy always puts the stuff on the front/back porch and leaves without getting a "hello" or a signature. Would I be liable then if something is broke/missing? Nevertheless, I haven't signed for it.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com