You guys are not going to believe this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sherry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so today was the day I was supposed to upgrade from a 12 gallon eclipse to a 37 gallon acrylic cube... acrylic because I have two young sons (1 and 3) cube because I live in a tiny NYC apartment and had room for 20 inches wide of tank and wanted to be able to have a bit of a bio load.

The idea was to have everything here and do it all at once so to minimize the stress on the older fish/plants. I figured that with the older substrate and filter media the cycle would be almost instant... Also, since I have only ONE place for the tank.. I couldnt' put up the new one without taking apart the old one.

Tank came from Glass cages
new lights filters from Big Als
many fish and new plants azgardens

When all the hardware made it to my house, I hit the button on the fish order.. The tank I left in it's box because in a small apartment with two boys I didn't want to risk scratching it.

Well...we took apart the 12 gallon. fish and plants in buckets.. then re-leveled the stand to be extra sure, and went to grab the new tank...

It had huge cracks all over it.. all through the 3/8 inch acrylic running 12 inches, 9 inches 7 inches another 8 inches ect..

It gets worse. I called glass cages, http://www.glasscages.com, and said something to the effect of "help!" I've got fish and plants and no where to put them... they answered by telling me that I had to file a claim with fedex.

Now I agree fedex did a shoddy job delivering but glass cages did a shoddier job of packing this thing (maybe an inch of styrofoam around the tank and nothing else)

My friend hearing this going on, took the phone from me.. I was about to just faint... and said that the company should deal with fedex separately, that packaging was just as much to blame for the tank disaster and that glass cages should replace the tank "with all haste". She was firm but very polite.

They hung up on her. Then later told me that since talking to my friend they have decided NOT TO REPLACE THE TANK!!!! they don't care that I have invested in lights and a filter or fish or plants... they have "pushed the button" on a refund thru amex. actually they didn't let us know this until 5 hours later. I am reordering the story a bit

These people are dangerous and should not be in business. I could say worse, but I won't.

okay. so next thing to happen. I have a total mud bath left in the old eclipse. mulm galore from the old eco complete. my pal and i decide to use the new lights and the new filter on the eclipse to try to salvage some fish/plants while we scramble for a new tank.

I go to set up the filter, an eheim ecco. should be great only it doesn't fit my stand... I have a stand that has a shelf (used as part of the structural integrity) and I needed a filter that cleared 12 inches operating. Went to buy an xp1 and a very nice woman at big als talked me into the ecco.. even measured it set up and said I'd be fine. Well she forgot to measure the intake/outflow valves.

Now I have need of great filtration and no working filter. What can I say except big als was amazing!!!! I called Dan the manager and told him the whole story.. and basically said the disaster was Glass CAges' fault but the mistake at big als was compounding this in a really unfortunate way. I asked the impossible of him. I asked not only that he replace the ecco with the shorter xp1, but that he allow us to operate the ecco until the other filter arrived.

since we were only running the eclipse, there is room on the stand behind the tank.. it won't be there later when we finally get a cube, but for the short term it is there. DAN agreed!!!!! He said he wanted to make as much of this better as he could!!! He even spent an hour on the phone helping us get the thing running

he went further. This was before glass cages told us to go sit on a tack.. but I had a bad feeling about them. They had been very difficult when making the order already.. I didn't trust them and I told Dan that. I asked him if he had a friend that built acrylic tanks... (I already knew that everyone I had tried to order from wanted $500 for an acrylic cube since it is an odd size. I only ordered from Glass Cages because their price was remarkably lower... )

Dan from big als had a friend, called the man up and found out that he could build a tank but it would take weeks.... With Dan on one phone on speaker.. I called class cages to see if I would need that fall back.. This is when they informed me that my friend was "too snotty" and they decided not to make us another tank..

Never once did these horrible people apologize for sending a tank packed in a way that could shatter!!!

Dan heard all of this.. called his friend, and the man is building us a new cube this weekend. It is a little more expensive.. .but not anywhere near what everyone else wanted...

I still had to cram my fish into the 12 gallon and most of my plants into a friends 125... and tonight is only night one of what will be at least 10 days including shipping... but.. at least we have a hope of getting this resolved with few deaths.

oh.. and amex is putting in a claim against glass cages not only for the price of their tank, but for the price of the replacement. it may not pan out in the end.. but the rep essentially said that amex usually would consider behavior like this to carry liability.

So sorry to hear of your disaster, thank goodness Big Al's was helpful. I'm sure Amex will be able to do something, I would also phone Fedex anyways as a paper trail is always good. File a claim with Better Business Bureau or your local business association against the tank company. And do not let them push you around, keep going up the ladder, email and write letters, phone and persist until they make this wrong right! Good luck.

anne thanks so much for the support!!! I am still shaking from today.

the BBB seems to want a complaint only if all other claims fail..

I think glass cages will be surprised by the amex claim, but what they did cost far more than the price of the tank. By refusing to build a replacement for a custom sized order, they essentially forced us to a more expensive option.

honestly, they acted as if they were the wronged party which just left Cat and I totally stunned.

I will call fedex to follow up. That is a great idea.

:cry: To say that "sucks" is an understatement Sherry. Glass Cages handled this poorly but were within their legal rights. Their responsibility ends when they turn the freight over to Fedex. Fedex responsibility ends when you sign the receipt of order. For this reason you should always inspect anything of a fragile nature before you legally take possesion.

Glass Cages will likely dispute your claim to Amex. They will state that they've made many shipments without incident and the freight carrier caused the damage. Amex will have no choice but to side with them. Your only option to recoop the cost of the tank and shipping is to file a claim against Fedex ASAP. JMO

I believe the shipper has to file the claim with FedEx. Good luck to you. Hope it works out.

I think it would be good to write a review under "Product & Retailer Reviews" in this Forum about both glasscages and Bigals. Costumers wil need to know your experience, your trouble with glasscages and how wonderfully bigals helped you!

I've bought my 70gal at glasscages, but we live fairly close and went to get it ourselves. The owner of glasscages is a real redneck and IMO it's always better to have a guy talking to such people if you get into trouble, it just works out better. When I had problems with aquaticplantdepot :evil: it took me a month to get the money back. My husband called them and it was done in a couple weeks. Some people just don't take women seriously :roll: .

Hi I have a business and when things go bump I always ask myself, Do I pursue this? or should I wipe the slate clean have no grief and move on a more relaxed person with no STRESS!!!!!!!!!

wow, that was a long story. and to think I was gonna order a tank from glasscages.com,sorry about you tank.maybe you should tell your story to aquarium fish magazine because the advertise glasscages.com, so no other aquarist will have to deal with this nuisance.and for the people at glasscages.com,may their business fall with a big BANG.LOL :twisted:

I won't be buying anything from them. Probably wouldn't have anyway, but now it's a lock.

They are still going to have enough business though, since they sell tanks to the TN aquarium and to local retailers as far as I've been told. But maybe calling the aquariumfish magazine might help some. And writing a review in this forum! I would have been glad if people would have done that for the bad places I've ordered from!

Those are good ideas.. I will definately post reviews tonight.. as well as contact the magazine.

Amex is a pretty powerful organization and makes its living backing up consumers. it is one reason (in addition to fees) so many businesses refuse to carry them..

I'm quite certain that in a dispute we'll at least get the cost of the tank back... If nothing else we have photos of the substandard packing..

these folks were truly difficult to deal with. I'm sure Crazy cat will come in with more details.. she was the one they hung up on the telephone and my plants are now living in her 125 gallon tank.

Yes Sherry Amex is a powerful company and they will side with the consumer in a clear case of right or wrong. The problem you have is one of liability. The laws are very clear with regard to freight and point of liability. I own a company that ships and receives millions of pounds of freight a year.

You've received damaged goods and you're making the assumption that it was caused by shoddy packaging. Glasscages won't make that assumption and neither will Amex. Now you don't want to hear this because in reality you're the injured party but legally, the responsibility is with whomever has possesion of the freight. Once you signed for it you took possesion making it your responsibility to file the claim for damaged freight. Not GlassCages.

GlassCages and Amex will see it as damage that occured in transport. Fedex was only paid for the cost shipment, not the merchandise. Amex can't credit your account through them because they weren't paid by you. Amex won't credit your account through GlassCages because they are legally bound by the laws governing freight.

Once you get over being angry at GlassCages you'll realize that what likely occured is that Fedex cracked your tank and they should be held responsible. Here's what happens. The tank is picked up at the factory and taken to a central depot. There it is palletized and trucked to a regional distribution center where it is unpacked and sent out for local delivery. Maybe a forklift operator bumped into it. Maybe too much weight was stacked on top of it. Maybe it slipped off a pallet or was dropped 12 feet. You really don't know.

Cat knows me and hopefully she'll tell you I'm trying to help you not lose everything. You have 30 days to file a claim for damaged freight. If you wait until Amex tells you to file a claim, you might be too late.

good advice brian!

i think sherry should file claims wherever she can and hope to get some of the money back.

between glasscages' shoddy packing and fedex's obvious mishandling of the packagae, fedex should be accountable too.

and, for the record, i'm really not that snotty! i merely reminded them that they should work with sherry to resolve her problem rather than rush to resolve their own with fedex. and i did it in the nicest of ways. they need to learn the definition of "customer service". :)

It's a very long thread but there is no similarity here except that it took place with the same company. It certainly doesn't make GlassCages look like a quality mfr.

Product not delivered to specification is much easier to prove then product that has been potentially damaged in transit. Even with that, this poor woman had some battle on her hands. The point is once she signed and accepted the delivery, the burden of proof was still on her. Posession being 9/10ths and so on.

Never accept a delivery without inspecting it first. :wink:

I have to agree. One of the things that we sometimes do is bring our deliveries into the home, sign on the dotted line and then open the packages. By then, it's too late.

There is no rush...advise the delivery person to wait while you unpack the parcels and inspect the contents. The delivery person has no choice but to wait. If they decide to leave without your signature, notify the shipper immediately.

Once you sign, the contract is, by legal standards, finalized ie: Goods recieved by customer in good condition. I learned this lesson the hard way but it was enlightening.

Our UPS guy always puts the stuff on the front/back porch and leaves without getting a "hello" or a signature. Would I be liable then if something is broke/missing? Nevertheless, I haven't signed for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom