You know you're an aquarist if...(just for fun)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you get mad when you discover that petsmart dyed the water in your new bettas cup blue!

Here's another

When your parents try to bribe you by saying that if you keep your dresser clean for 21 days you can have another tank, And you almost decide to try! (the only clean thing in my room is the tank :D )

Maxkolbe said:
When you get mad when you discover that petsmart dyed the water in your new bettas cup blue!

Here's another

When your parents try to bribe you by saying that if you keep your dresser clean for 21 days you can have another tank, And you almost decide to try! (the only clean thing in my room is the tank :D )

Why is it that they dye that blue?
Lol my mom would never do that, she would clean it up herself before she got me another tank. XD

I didn't think that it was medicine since the water in all the cups was the same color as the lids, I just assumed they were trying to make the blue fish look bluer, the red fish look redder, etc.

At our petsmart the lids are color coded so it's kind of a pain to see what the betta actually looks like in natural light, it probably is medicine though...

AGGGHHH it would be so much easier if they just kept them in tanks like every other fish, I mean when was the last time you saw them selling oscars or guppies in cups?

Maxkolbe said:
At our petsmart the lids are color coded so it's kind of a pain to see what the betta actually looks like in natural light, it probably is medicine though...

AGGGHHH it would be so much easier if they just kept them in tanks like every other fish, I mean when was the last time you saw them selling oscars or guppies in cups?

Think of it this way, guppies can be kept together and oscars can be kept together, but not bettas. imagine the store having 20+ tanks, each with a single betta? imagine the costs that that would cause for the store? from a business perspective it is not very practical, especially for a $3 fish.

I'm not saying I agree to this, but thats how the company makes their money, thus being a large corporation.

Brandonaki360 said:
Think of it this way, guppies can be kept together and oscars can be kept together, but not bettas. imagine the store having 20+ tanks, each with a single betta? imagine the costs that that would cause for the store? from a business perspective it is not very practical, especially for a $3 fish.

I'm not saying I agree to this, but thats how the company makes their money, thus being a large corporation.

My lfs over here in the uk keeps its bettas in tanks just like all the other fish just slightly smaller

I know but the store has to have at least twenty community tanks, they could keep a male betta in each one and have one or two tanks for the females. Or they could carry the peaceful betta since the males aren't as aggressive with each other.

Maxkolbe said:
I know but the store has to have at least twenty community tanks, they could keep a male betta in each one and have one or two tanks for the females. Or they could carry the peaceful betta since the males aren't as aggressive with each other.
True, but big corporations employees probably wouldn't want to deal with the hassle or worry about the betta turning aggressive and killing the other fish or $ as to them, fish is $. To them, it is easier to just throw the fish in a small container and after a few days or more, it will be in its new home.

This is how businesses make $. This is usually why lfs take better care of fish than big box stores. lfs are smaller and take more care, whereas the others care for the $, because thats what they do.

I would rather see maybe one or two bettas in breeder traps in every tank than in cups. However, I would still prefer the bettas in cups to a tank full of stressed, fighting, beat up males. At least they don't do that!
And you know you're an aquarist when you realize you have not one, not two, bit three gravel vacs. And another broken one somewhere in case you need the parts...

Brandonaki360 said:

Why can't they just use dividers?

when you bust out some red hue lights to switch into your fixture just to get in the mood for Valentines night hehe... 8P

Maxkolbe said:
Maybe they would jump over?

I know mine tend to jump their dividers. Lazy company people I say.
I know when I was a kid they were in plastic boxes in the tanks. I don't see that anymore either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom