You might be an aquarium nerd if...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go to the local pond or stream and look for fish... and free plants.

I used to get fish from the ditch, not even a pond when I was a kid - long ago! Now I can't really ever find them or catch them if I can see them (too far away from the edge).

Go to the local pond or stream and look for fish... and free plants.

I used to get fish from the ditch, not even a pond when I was a kid - long ago! Now I can't really ever find them or catch them if I can see them (too far away from the edge).

In my area there's a ton of free hornwort, duckweed, anacharis, val americana, some sort of huge sword, and also water lettuce!

Last edited by a moderator:
I my area there's a ton of free hornwort, duckweed, anacharis, val americana, some sort of huge sword, and also water lettuce!

Only thing I have is some kind of weed (I think water sprite) and some anacharis that grows in a golf course pond. Nice bass in there too. Duke Power (who owns Lake Norman) puts a chemical in the water to kill any plants growing and to prevent any more from growing. It sucks but lucky for you guys that you have all these free plants!

In a pond near my cousins house in MA there is tons of cabomba. But around here all the ponds I see are either unhealthy or man made. The few that are healthy don't have anything that I recognize.

In a pond near my cousins house in MA there is tons of cabomba. But around here all the ponds I see are either unhealthy or man made. The few that are healthy don't have anything that I recognize.

Same... I'm in Michigan so there's always the Great Lakes... Tons of val in there!

When you get mad at your science teacher for keeping a betta in a wine glass in your classroom as a "decoration". I sent a letter to her teachers mailbox about how bettas are living creatures, not knick-knacks and how they need at least a 2 gallon tank with a heater and filter. She told me that the pet store said it was fine and that they probably knew more about me than fish. I wanna rescue that fish so bad, but science is my 1st hour and I can't imagine me keeping a betta in a bag in my pocket for 6 hours. It would probably be more unethical than the betta living in a wine glass in the 1st place...

When you get mad at your science teacher for keeping a betta in a wine glass in your classroom as a "decoration". I sent a letter to her teachers mailbox about how bettas are living creatures, not knick-knacks and how they need at least a 2 gallon tank with a heater and filter. She told me that the pet store said it was fine and that they probably knew more about me than fish. I wanna rescue that fish so bad, but science is my 1st hour and I can't imagine me keeping a betta in a bag in my pocket for 6 hours. It would probably be more unethical than the betta living in a wine glass in the 1st place...

Stop by after school.

Science teachers who don't know the first thing about aquatic science really annoy me also.

I don't wanna steal it. If I can educate the teacher enough shell either give the fish to me or buy a better setup for it.

I don't wanna steal it. If I can educate the teacher enough shell either give the fish to me or buy a better setup for it.

How about this? If you have the things to set a better habitat up then sneak in their and put it in the better tank. Then throw away the old cup it was in.

That way she can't be mad.

Yeah it was almost a joke I guess. If you had the stuff around it could have worked.

That's too bad. I like the idea space posted but that sounds like it won't work either.

If she doesn't trust you because of your age try sending her links to websites and offer to help her set up a better tank or lend/give extra supplies that she can use (food, etc).

if you care that your fish keeping friends don't go to fish jail!

Glad you didn't want to steal it!!! 0:)

if you care about a classroom Betta in a bowl.

I'd have to tear down my 10g for that... Not to mention I don't have enough funds.

I think anything would be better than where it is now. Even just a bowl with a few plants would give it a much better life than it would have had otherwise. (Although I'm not saying that bettas should be kept in bowls.)

If you're up at 2am checking for new posts on AA every 30 seconds.

Ikr!

If your parents first words when you asked to go to the store are "which one, the fish store in Eagan or Richfield?" And you really only have to go to Walmart.

If you decide to research fish for a new tank instead of going somewhere with friends.

If your friends asks how you know a lot about PH and Ammonia and Nitrates and you end up giving them a 15 minutes lesson on different bacteria and how PH affects aquatic life.

If the heating system of your bedroom relies solely upon the different filters and heaters and lights of various tanks.

All things that apply to me :)

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

I could just bring in a bowl, some Prime and some old plastic plants... I do think the betta would be much happier.

You know you're a fish nerd if you read through ALL 54 pages of this thread, I did :D.

Back
Top Bottom