Your Local Fish Stores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strychix

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I thought it would be interesting to have a post describing what we like and dislike about our Local Fish Stores, and what we wish we would see more often or less of in the industry.

So here's mine.

Coastal Pet Center
Pros:
The owner is nice, especially since he knows me well enough to trusts me to handle the pets he would not regularly allow customers to handle. Prices are decent and quarters are clean. There's also a few mascot animals which I think is fantastic. There's a pretty good variety of animals and fish.

Cons:
All fish are freshwater and I think they're aquariums share the same water, as there seems to be an epidemic going on lately. They've also raised their prices on certain things. Stock can be iffy, as I will regularly buy something so it's obviously selling, and they will cut it out of their stock altogether. Their tank prices seem higher than necessary, but maybe that's because I find most of mine across the street at Goodwill.

Coral Reef
Pros:
Interesting stock, both freshwater and marine. Always something new and unexpected in there. Prices are really good. Really impressive considering they moved here about three months ago. Every fish I have gotten from them is thriving.

Cons:
The stock fluctuates a lot, as their main store is an hour or so away and they only come down for some days, bringing pretty much whatever with them. I haven't been to their main store yet, which I imagine is fabulous, but it can be daunting if you see something you want but cannot afford right then, then come back next time it's open and they don't have it. I suppose I could ask for it ahead of time. Also their days open are wonky and not really condusive to my schedule. I asked if they were hiring so they could keep it open for more days, but they were not. Also the space is very small.

What I Would Like To See Overall

Pet stores that do not sell cats or dogs, more variety, and easier to recognized displays with information on each fish they have in stock for the impulse buyers. More knowledgeable employees, though that's not really an issue for my LFS.

I thought it would be interesting to have a post describing what we like and dislike about our Local Fish Stores, and what we wish we would see more often or less of in the industry.

So here's mine.

Coastal Pet Center
Pros:
The owner is nice, especially since he knows me well enough to trusts me to handle the pets he would not regularly allow customers to handle. Prices are decent and quarters are clean. There's also a few mascot animals which I think is fantastic. There's a pretty good variety of animals and fish.

Cons:
All fish are freshwater and I think they're aquariums share the same water, as there seems to be an epidemic going on lately. They've also raised their prices on certain things. Stock can be iffy, as I will regularly buy something so it's obviously selling, and they will cut it out of their stock altogether. Their tank prices seem higher than necessary, but maybe that's because I find most of mine across the street at Goodwill.

Coral Reef
Pros:
Interesting stock, both freshwater and marine. Always something new and unexpected in there. Prices are really good. Really impressive considering they moved here about three months ago. Every fish I have gotten from them is thriving.

Cons:
The stock fluctuates a lot, as their main store is an hour or so away and they only come down for some days, bringing pretty much whatever with them. I haven't been to their main store yet, which I imagine is fabulous, but it can be daunting if you see something you want but cannot afford right then, then come back next time it's open and they don't have it. I suppose I could ask for it ahead of time. Also their days open are wonky and not really condusive to my schedule. I asked if they were hiring so they could keep it open for more days, but they were not. Also the space is very small.

What I Would Like To See Overall
Pet stores that do not sell cats or dogs, more variety, and easier to recognized displays with information on each fish they have in stock for the impulse buyers. More knowledgeable employees, though that's not really an issue for my LFS.

I find my LFS pretty good but it's small and doesn't always have a lot of variety. I try and support them as much as possible as most employees keep fish and can have good tips. Online shopping is just so much easier though sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom