Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-22-2003, 01:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
As a kid, we were so poor we could only afford smooth peanut butter. If we wanted crunchy peanut butter, we just left the jar open on the counter overnight, got up in the morning, and stirred all the cockroaches right into the peanut butter .

But seriously, I lived with my family in a cockroach infested apartment for a long time, and when my family finally moved out of the apartment into a house, the cockroaches came with us, in electronic equipment, cardboard boxes, and everything else. When I moved out of my house at 18 I brought NOTHING with me but the clothes on my back.

I'm digressing. Most disgusting used aquarium story ever. When I first got my father-in-law's aquarium, he fell out of the hobby years ago. My wife told me how he used to be--a dozen or so tanks in his basement and many many fish. The only tank he had left was a 30 gallon. There was java fern choking up the whole aquarium, and only a lonely 10 year old angelfish left. The light didn't work, and his maintenance consisted of dumping a bit of food in the tank once in a while and topping the water off every few months. I guess you could say that's what got me back in the hobby. I bought a new light, and started going over to his house and taking care of the fish tank. Finally my father-in-law just gave me the tank. I brought it home, set it up, and that angelfish stayed alive for another 6 months (I must have been paying too much attention to it ). When he died, and after a failed attempt with gouramis, I decided to make my black water biotope.

The first thing I had to do was remove the UGF. Now, keep in mind that this tank had been running for 10 years. My father-in-law couldn't remember the last time he had a working air pump. Long story short, the removal of that filter went like this: ... :| ... ... 8O ... .

It was the single most disgusting thing I have ever done in my life...my whole apartment smelled like a cesspool for a week after. To this day I will try my best to steer people away from those types of filters.

~Mike Shaw
Shawmutt.com. Blogs and Pictures of the Massively Multiplayer Offline game, Real Life.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:12 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to plkdb Send a message via MSN to plkdb Send a message via Yahoo to plkdb
Not a tank story, but cockroach story none the less. When I moved into our house on base, I would sit on the porch at night relaxing. Every night I would notice 2-3 palmetto bugs on the side of the house. I killed them, and the same thing would happen every night. Eventually it became a game to kill them, (they smartened up, and learned I was stalking them). One night I walked around the backside of the house by our a/c unit which is on our neighbors side. Theres a little hole in the ground by it about the size of a chipmunk hole. I saw about 20 around and in the hole, so I killed the ones that were outside of it, and used my foot to close the hole.........the hole went down about 2 feet! It was like a little sinkhole, I just about fell in. I spent the next two hours chasing down the bugs pouring out of it, and on my house and in the yard. The best part is the neighbor comes home, sees what I`m doing I told her about it, she tells her husband that I`m digging a big hole in their yard Everytime it rained for the next few weeks, anytime I would put dirt in the hole, and think it was filled, the rain would wash it down. The hole was atleast 2 feet deep, and about 2 1/2 feet across.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com