Your Opinion... Am I being unreasonable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fltcrew21

Aquarium Advice Regular
I placed an ad on Craigslist this week to re-home my daughter's goldfish. It was grown too big and being too piggy in our community tank.

This morning I was pleased that a person nearby agreed to keep it in goldfish only tank and I thought GREAT!

She is even coming to pick him up. Perfect...

When she replied her name was on the email and I checked her out on Facebook to see if she had pictures of her tank and too see what kind of place Spot was headed.

I saw the following picture with the following quote next to it..

"The fish I got for free on craigslist. I got lucky my fish all died after about 6 years so I took the tank down yesterday and cleaned it. Then I saw these. Now I have fish again. I'm so happy"

Now she wants to add Spot to that mess.

I REALLY want the GF gone but I don't think I should give him to her.

Am I being unreasonable? Is that tank bigger than it appears?

I have not told her she is not getting him but if I am going to, I need to before bed tonight.

Attachments

• 1063117_675508829134847_133235644_n.jpg
    1063117_675508829134847_133235644_n.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 158
I don't think you are being unreasonable. That is a completely unsuitable home for a goldfish.

The tank in the photo looks like a 10 gallon aquarium. I'm no goldfish expert but that tank already looks really crowded. I would definitely keep your fish. You should just tell the person the fish died. That way the person won't be upset with you and there will be no hard feelings. Any aquarium store around you will probably take in your fish. I know the aquarium store Big Al's will. Depending on were your located I could even take your fish. I have 3 aquariums. A 29g, 20g, 20g long. I also have a 5 gallon planted tank but I would not put it in there because it's too small.

LFS

Pleco,

There are only 2 LFS in out town. A PetSmart (where the fish came from back in October) and much smaller semi chain kind of place.

Neither will take the fish back.

I'm just going to email and tell her that my daughter threw a hissy fit when I said we were getting rid of Spot.

People are busy, she will probably be relieved she downs' t have to mess with it.

I'm between Jacksonville, FL and Savannah, GA off I-95 if anyone would like to have him! (or her) :eek:

Can't go in a pond anywhere?

I assume that would be ok. We used to release comets (common goldfish from memory anyway) into a community pond ( where they got enormous).

You made the right decision. That is a bad home them, that person has ovbiously not done any research. Try researching further from your house for a local place, maybe a little bit of a drive but it will be worth it. Make a trip out of it and maybe you can come home with something else for your tank.

Pond

That is very tempting. We have several ponds and lakes in our neighborhood but I'm sure the local predatory fish would go crazy for him.

Kind of hard to hide when you are gold and everybody else is green and black!

Still, letting nature take it's course is reasonable too huh?

I'm going to hang on to him awhile longer to see if I can find a reasonable place for him be it a large tank or aquarium.

That is very tempting. We have several ponds and lakes in our neighborhood but I'm sure the local predatory fish would go crazy for him.

Kind of hard to hide when you are gold and everybody else is green and black!

Still, letting nature take it's course is reasonable too huh?

I'm going to hang on to him awhile longer to see if I can find a reasonable place for him be it a large tank or aquarium.

I saw this add on Kijiji.com for people that don't want there goldfish anymore. Here is the link. http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-to-...ish-or-Koi-retirement-home-W0QQAdIdZ522451784. Btw are you in Ontario? You said were you were in one of your recent messages but I have no idea were that is. I'm in Newmarket Ontario.

Do not consider releasing the fish into any body of water. It can introduce pathogens that the local fauna has no resistance for. Just a bad idea IMO.

Come on man, this us why my boat has to be inspected by park rangers in state parks before I launch it! Don't do it!

Do not consider releasing the fish into any body of water. It can introduce pathogens that the local fauna has no resistance for. Just a bad idea IMO.

I'm curious on what could be released here pathogen wise?

In my case I was talking about say a park pond where koi are already present but as said this was a long time ago and so I'm curious on current thinking?

I'm curious on what could be released here pathogen wise?

In my case I was talking about say a park pond where koi are already present but as said this was a long time ago and so I'm curious on current thinking?

Google search "Flying Carp" and "Northern Snakehead" and you will understand why local officials are much more sensitive to invasive species now.
I know, when I heard put goldie in a pond I'm thinking a pond that is not connected to another body of water.

Truth be told, though, potatoes and largemouth bass are invasive species....

Thanks for this. I was thinking bacteria or something as well.

Yes, carp have made their way through QLD quite a bit here in Australia. I've no idea what they taste like (apparently muddy), the one time I suggested trying grandad just about keeled over and I got a 5 minute lecture.

It is illegal to release any aquarium fish into U.S. waters.

Except when the government does it to get rid of other aquarium species. And then those run rampant and more non native species are released. The gov is so smart and always know what they be doin! :)

Thanks for this. I was thinking bacteria or something as well.

Yes, carp have made their way through QLD quite a bit here in Australia. I've no idea what they taste like (apparently muddy), the one time I suggested trying grandad just about keeled over and I got a 5 minute lecture.

Carp is nasty. It's not just the flavor, it's also the texture. Like mush. Mushy mud. >_<

Kentucky recently had a carp tournament with a $20,000 payout to the winner who caught the most. Our lakes are becoming overrun with them. They ended up catching a total of 40 tons, which isn't even a dent in the population.

On a side note, it's illegal to use Goldfish as Bait in Florida- But wow, you should see the size Bass people have caught using them. But a lot of folks doing that back in the 80's is why you see a lot of them in Florida's lakes/Golf Course ponds. I even saw some over in the Blue springs area off the St. Johns one time.

Back
Top Bottom