Your Opinion On Heat Sealing Fish Bags for Shipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to be shipping fish and inverts a lot more in the coming months. Would it be worth an extra $30 ish dollars to heat seal bags? I'm always afraid that the rubber bands will come apart during shipping! I know a lot of people use rubber bands, but would heat sealing the bags be a better option?
I can also seal them myself at home, I've done it before because I was bored :lol:
Just wondering if this would be a safer option.

**For those of you wondering, you take a lighter, squish the end of a bag between an old book or a couple pieces of scrap wood, then run the lighter back and forth and it will heat seal the bags.

I'm going to be shipping fish and inverts a lot more in the coming months. Would it be worth an extra $30 ish dollars to heat seal bags? I'm always afraid that the rubber bands will come apart during shipping! I know a lot of people use rubber bands, but would heat sealing the bags be a better option?
I can also seal them myself at home, I've done it before because I was bored :lol:
Just wondering if this would be a safer option.

**For those of you wondering, you take a lighter, squish the end of a bag between an old book or a couple pieces of scrap wood, then run the lighter back and forth and it will heat seal the bags.

Why'd it be an extra 30$...?

I have no idea about how well it does and the only way to find out is to do it yourself if no one else comes in & has done it. Now, with that said would a food saver work better? They have this option to just sealed the bags.... I have one at home and it does that..... Not sure if the bags you buy can be use for this or not.

I will go for the rubber band and the K.I.S.S rule in IMHO. Good luck! (y)

There are poly bags from a seller on aquabid I get my stuff from whose bags are heat sealable.
What is the K.I.S.S rule?

Scottyhorse said:
There are poly bags from a seller on aquabid I get my stuff from whose bags are heat sealable.
What is the K.I.S.S rule?

Keep It Simple, Stupid. Or at least that's the version I know. I think a tied off bag with a rubber band should be fine, too.

I tend to not like the heat sealed bags. I don't use them, but have been recieving them a lot lately and seems like the only time I get DOA's is in the heat sealed bags. I imagine that you could really only do it with breather bags too because it's hard to keep air in something that you have to seal like that...

IDK, I prefer the old method of regular non-breather bags and tying a knot.

Following...I have wondered too. I have two of these things (Food Savers), and would double seal them, if I ever used one.

Also there are smaller commercial bag sealers.

I've been looking into using bag sealers, but i wouldn't do it with fish shipments, only plants or dry goods. It's just not worth the risk if the fish bag leaks out. Sealing a bag with a large volume of air in it can be a pain also just to get the sealing end to lay flat.

Back
Top Bottom