Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yucky tank in a university office- what should i do?

I walked into an office yesterday and noticed a tank. Of course i got excited and walked over.
It looked like a 10g hex. There was 1 wag platy that had a super deformed body. I've seen fish with curved spines, but I think seeing that condition on an older fish was just more grotesque.

I saw 2 guppies, one looked like a female feeder and the other was a juvenile.

There was one neon tetra. He looked lonely but he was the biggest neon i've ever seen! 1.5inches!

The tank has white, blue and pink gravel. Castle ornament. No plants. Airstone. Thermometer. Aquaclear 10 filter. Gravel and walls were very gunky, eww!

It was probably the ugliest tank I've ever seen and i was very surprised to see it in such condition in a LANDSCAPE DESIGN office!!!!!!

I feel like I should do something about it but I don't know what to do. I can offer to give the tank a good cleaning for free perhaps. I could inquire about their maintenance habits? I can't give them fish or decorations, so I'm not sure what more to do. I think telling them to give away the neon and deformed platy would make them angry.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

This might be exactly the wrong thing, but my approach would be to simply say, "What's with the tank? It's a mess." And go from there.

It's neither overly confrontational, nor overly polite.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is your relationship with this office? That would tell me how I'd approach it.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
What is your relationship with this office? That would tell me how I'd approach it.
It's not in my department, so I'm a stranger.

I find office people to be a little mean to students. I can't blame them. Students always need help or something
Old 11-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Then you might start off by asking "what kind of fish are those?" as if you know nothing about fishkeeping. The response could very likely be "somebody who worked here two years ago left it behind, you want it?"
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
Then you might start off by asking "what kind of fish are those?" as if you know nothing about fishkeeping. The response could very likely be "somebody who worked here two years ago left it behind, you want it?"
Haha! That would be lovely. I'll have to find an excuse to back in there!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com