0.1g Planted Pico Cube - Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pico Cube Lighting - LED 4w

So I realized that I never really offered specs on the lighting for this tank, other than it being a desk lamp.

I'm using a normal desk lamp with a Sylvania LED 4w bulb. I tried looking up specs for the bulb, but I really can't find much on it. These bulbs were originally supposed to be for a spot light fixture I have in my living room, but it turns out they don't do well on dimmers, so I just use them for my desk lamp.

Here are a couple pics.

Attachments

• led bulb 1.jpeg
    led bulb 1.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 93
  • led bulb 2.jpeg
    led bulb 2.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 112
darn, well at lest its not like you have fish and ran out of food. nothing will die

darn, well at lest its not like you have fish and ran out of food. nothing will die

Exactly, I'd rather not rush the scaping and planting. I'll do it when I have ample time. I also have a couple items for sale on the classifieds; if they sell soon my budget and plant selection for the pico will increase, which is always nice :D

Love this idea! I would do 2 shrimp MAX. but only because it's so small and RCS are sensitive to ammonia and all that fun stuff. Depending on how many plants you'll have in there, you probably won't even need a filter. This pico tank will look amazing once your done! I agree that there's now ay you could do any typeof fish in there, and even for those shrimp it may be a bit tight....if it were mine I would probably do shrimp as well :)

Nils

Love this idea! I would do 2 shrimp MAX. but only because it's so small and RCS are sensitive to ammonia and all that fun stuff. Depending on how many plants you'll have in there, you probably won't even need a filter. This pico tank will look amazing once your done! I agree that there's now ay you could do any typeof fish in there, and even for those shrimp it may be a bit tight....if it were mine I would probably do shrimp as well :)

Nils

Thanks for the kind words Nils! I'm so stoked to get started on this build.

Exactly, I'd rather not rush the scaping and planting. I'll do it when I have ample time. I also have a couple items for sale on the classifieds; if they sell soon my budget and plant selection for the pico will increase, which is always nice :D

what plants you geting again, i would only use like micro plants max hight like 3-4 inches wven those will look like background plants

what plants you geting again, i would only use like micro plants max hight like 3-4 inches wven those will look like background plants

I was thinking:

Hemianthus callitrichoides
Utricularia graminifolia
Monosolenium tenerum
Fissidens fontanus
Rotala 'Bonsai'
Pogostomen helferi
Anubias nana petite sp.

I'm still not sure I'm going to go with these, it all really depends on what my FLS is stocking these days.

they all sound good, id lay the bottom in something that would, cover the entire bottom so you couldn't see it, like 1 anubis and some dwarf hair grass only a few strands though. get creative

Planting Sketch

they all sound good, id lay the bottom in something that would, cover the entire bottom so you couldn't see it, like 1 anubis and some dwarf hair grass only a few strands though. get creative

Your post got me thinking about how the tank would look with this plant variety, so I came up with this. It's rough and a "bit" ambitious, but it gets the point across :)

1 - Hemianthus callitrichoides
2 - Monosolenium tenerum
3 - Eleocharis acicularis
4 - Rotala 'Bonsai'
5 - Fissidens fontanus
6 - Anubias nana petite sp.
7 - Utricularia graminifolia
8 - Pogostomen helferi

Attachments

• planted.jpeg
    planted.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 78
  • planted with names.jpeg
    planted with names.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 88
looks good, just rember if i used my plannts in a tank that size i would have to trim it to nothing every day, and i dont use co2 or anything

Your post got me thinking about how the tank would look with this plant variety, so I came up with this. It's rough and a "bit" ambitious, but it gets the point across :)

1 - Hemianthus callitrichoides
2 - Monosolenium tenerum
3 - Eleocharis acicularis
4 - Rotala 'Bonsai'
5 - Fissidens fontanus
6 - Anubias nana petite sp.
7 - Utricularia graminifolia
8 - Pogostomen helferi

When that tank is done it will look fantastic!

looks good, just rember if i used my plannts in a tank that size i would have to trim it to nothing every day, and i dont use co2 or anything

Trimming will be the tough part. Since it's so small, traditional aquatic scissors will have a hard time getting in there. I have a pair of cuticle scissors that I bought for my 2g nano cube, when I had it setup, so I'm planning on just using those.

In the end, I might just end up using only 2 or 3 kinds of plants; we'll see.

The cuticle scissors sound like a good idea! I have a pair of small hair trimming scissors I use for my nano tanks.

For something that size I wonder if limited the number of variety of plants would make it look less busy if that makes sense.

The cuticle scissors sound like a good idea! I have a pair of small hair trimming scissors I use for my nano tanks.

For something that size I wonder if limited the number of variety of plants would make it look less busy if that makes sense.

Good point, sometimes less is more :D

I'll have to do some sort of process of elimination to decide what plants I'll use. The only plants I'm really set on are Rotala 'bonsai' and fissidens fontanus.

I found a video that kind of uses the same idea with a central piece of wood and plants around it, now you got me wanting a pico vase too......have to get my mom to approve first though!

Video:

Nils

Back
Top Bottom