Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

10-20 gal planted setup?

My dad has a ton of tanks from 10 to 20 gallons that he is going to give me. I'm going to take probably a 20 and his smaller 5 gal and turn them in to planted tanks. What's the best setup for a 10 or 20 gallon planted?

HOB or (R)UGF filter?
What about lighting? I.E. Where can I get something for these smaller tanks and still have mid-level lighting?
In conjunction with lighting, what about CO2? At what point is it needed?

All too much to ask and oh so much to read. Too many decisions.... I'm so glad I have all of you to help me make the decisions!!!! 8)

Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Definitely HOB. UGF doesn't work on planted tanks. Since your starting new, get yourself eco-complete for substrate. You will need at least one watt a gallon for low light plants. You will need to inject CO2 once you get over 2 watts per gallon. Fortunately you can DIY for a 20 gallon without a problem. Just remember that once you get over 2 watts per gallon you will have to deal with dosing macros and all that fun stuff. Good Luck.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kudos to Rich for all correct information

If you haven't read them already FMJ, read the stickies at the top of this forum for lots of specific info on planted tanks.

20gal is a great size...5gal is tricky...don't try to make it anything more than a low light tank. Small tanks need MORE light than larger tanks to qualify as high light. For example, 60watts is all you need for a 20 gallon to grow naything...3wpg. But a 5gal..you'd need at least 30 watts, which is 6wpg.

I'd get a little screw-in power compact bulb for the 5gallon lighting. It'll support crypts and java ferns, and anubias nana will grow amazingly well at such a low light level.

Tags
20 gallon, plant, planted, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com