10 gal Toad Vivarium build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
Pretty simple set up. Substrate is Coconut Bark, sand, and dirt (T-Rex Jungle Bed forest substrate). Flora is sphagnum moss and mondo grass. Fauna is two fire-bellied toads.

No filter, just fresh decholorinated water and a land mist 1x daily. I think I might need to make the water pool a bit deeper (currently about 3inches deep), but otherwise I'm pretty happy with the simplicity of the scape. Hoping to add more plants after I do a little more research to find exactly what I want.

249302_2004223154426_1509052066_32132875_4681956_n.jpg

253851_2004222794417_1509052066_32132873_3036869_n.jpg

253450_2004223074424_1509052066_32132874_4152230_n.jpg

Looks very nice :) How did you seperate the water portion, is it just in a dish?

nice toads,i want to set up a toad tank,but my mom wont let me.

Looks very nice :) How did you separate the water portion, is it just in a dish?

Thanks, everyone!

@Siva...Just a dish for now. I contemplated putting the water straight in the aquarium and using a filter to make a water feature, but decided to start out simple. I'm pretty happy with it so far!

Tell her that a set up similar to mine is fairly inexpensive, especially when compared to the cost of setting up a fish aquarium. ;)
its not the price she minds,its that,once i finish/start my upgrade ill have 3 tanks going.

awesome how much did this cost? i may have a summer project commin up now ;)

Well, I already had the 10 gal/light fixture/rocks but here's a run down of everything else:

2 Firebelly toads: 2@ $5.49
T-Rex reptile bedding: $10.49
Moss: $7.99 for 4 pieces
Pond grass: 3@ $3.99
XL soaking dish: On sale for $11.89

So everything (bought at Petsmart) cost me about $60.00

not bad at all id need another tank so add $12 what kind of lights anythin special? once i upgradr my lights on my sw il have a fluorescent fixture un used its a t8 though

its not the price she minds,its that,once i finish/start my upgrade ill have 3 tanks going.

I see......makes sense.:cool:

All the aquariums in my house total out at 6. Four planted freshwater tanks, 1 hermit crab habitat, and 1 toad vivarium. My sons only take care of one aquarium a piece and they share responsibility of the hermit crab tank.

not bad at all id need another tank so add $12 what kind of lights anythin special? once i upgradr my lights on my sw il have a fluorescent fixture un used its a t8 though

Toads don't require special lighting; I think fluorescent is actually reccommended. A simple "daylight" bulb would work great.

I don't think it's something you want to do on a regular basis since the oils etc. on your hands can irritate the toad and the toad's secretions can irritate your skin, but you can handle them as long as you wash your hands before and after handling (or wear latex gloves).

Back
Top Bottom