10 gallon low-light with dirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't know if anyone on here is aware of Dustin's Fishtanks on YouTube, but after conversing with him and watching his videos, I have been motivated to start a dirt tank. To keep it simple, you pretty much have "natural dirt" as your substrate with some clay, and then leave it like that or cover it with sand or whatever substrate you please. I've done research, and the results in dirt tanks are pretty astonishing. It looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Since it is a rather long "cleansing" process, I am going to purchase another 10 gallon tank, get it all set up, and then transfer my plants, driftwood, filter, and fish over to that tank. Main question is: Will I see a mini-cycle even if I move my filter from the current tank over?

doubtful you will see much of a cycle if you just swap the filters over. Definitely take lots of pics. Will this be low light?

Yeah I am going to use the 27W fixture I ordered. I'm really excited for this. I think it'll be a fun project. I'll keep you updated, going to buy the new tank/dirt/everything either this weekend or next. My current tank just isn't working, so I figure it's not a bad idea to experiment with a possible natural remedy.

I'm interested in seeing it too, haha. There are so many varying methods as to how to go about it...I need to do some heavy research. I am currently having a correspondence with folks over at FishTank TV, and dirt is their specialty. Over the next few days, I hope to get some great information.

Funny you say that. I was over at Dustins house about a week ago. He has some amazing tanks. He swears by Miracle Gro organic potting soil. He almost had me convinced to go for it, but I figured I'd get these plants figured out before I go all out and do dirt. I am almost certainly getting a 140g tank this week, and when I do, I'm putting either turface or miracle gro in it.

Awesome, man! So we can work through it together. How do you know Dustin?

You wouldn't happen to be the guy who was in that video with that sick cichlid tank, were you?

Nope, I'm not on any of his sites. I got all my plants from him. He had an ad on CL so I went over and got some plants. Learned a lot while I was over there too.

DAY 1:
-Bought a new 10g (16 bucks, rip off.)
-Bought Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix
-Opened 27W CF Fixture that Fort recommended.
-Spray painted black background

Fort, the light is absolutely awesome. For it being so tiny, it sure as **** produces a lot of light. How is it safe to keep these over open water? I couldn't get it up that high...what if splashes hit the bulb?

I am going to probably get it set up on Sunday, though it won't be much until I get my other tank treated for ich.

Did you extend the telescoping rods all the way? I can get mine to sit 8" or so above the water.

Did you extend the telescoping rods all the way? I can get mine to sit 8" or so above the water.

I'll have to look at it again. I can only seem to get it a certain point (definitely not 8 inches)...it reaches a point where it doesn't slide easily and I'm afraid to force it.

Here are photos of what mine look like fully extended. I always keep it at about only 4" from the surface though. Never had an issue with splashback. I guess it depends on what filter you use but I keep surface movement to a minimum so I don't offgas any co2.

Attachments

• image-871515670.jpg
    image-871515670.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 221
  • image-1356018375.jpg
    image-1356018375.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 224
I've been planning on using a layer of dirt under small gravel or something for the tank I've been planning and starting to set up. I'm very interested to see your process because I'll be following behind you. Give us details in how every step works out, so I can learn from you. ;)

Just to show the light. Lovin' it. No other lights on in the room; thing is nice and bright. Fort, now that I mounted it, I realize it won't be close to the water at all. Finally painted the back of the tank correctly as well. On my current tank there are so many speckles...I put like 6 layers on this one.

img_1243101_0_5d1c0429f45c7c11de0457d8b01d3ade.jpg

img_1243101_1_4c0241f6fc834c03bc9a5cbba0c9fd41.jpg

The sleek light and the black background manage to make a braced tank look nice.
I'm interested to see how this turns out as well.

Definitely following this one. I don't have a planted tank, but maybe someday I will.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom