10 Gallon Planted Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have about three feet of airline between teh generator and bubble counter so I Think this kind of defeats the purpose of having a place for chunks to get out, to relieve pressure, doesn't it. It's so I can take the little bottle down when I need to count the bubbles, or check the generator. Thoughts?
You still keep the benefits of trapping flocculated yeast per LeVassuer's article. I dont think the 3ft of extra tubing matters if you used the CO2 approved tubing, but remember the canisters have to push through all that line before you see anything in the bubble counter. If the tubing is the type that breaks down from CO2, I would think that very long tubing would mean the CO2 loss is high, but it might be years before you have to worry about this, and you could always replace it anyway. HTH

I actually just bought Wal*Mart Tubing. I had a giftcard, and it's 5 minutes away, as opposed to 30 minutes, like the fish store I like. I'm sure it's not approved tubing :)

Like I mentioned Earlier, I'm using those bulkhead fittings on the bottle caps, and I have a feeling that they are not tight enough. I screwed them in until I thought I might break them, but I still think it's loose. I'm going to super glue them from the outside and inside tonight, see if that helps.

I could actually see air about halfway down the air tube in my "bubble counter", so that means some pressure is building up. And I can see some activity in the form of bubbles being formed in the generator, but again, no actual bubbles of CO2 going into the tank. this makes me think I have a leak.

I'll fix it tonight :)

- chris

To check for leaks you can mix a solution of dish soap and water. Put a little over each set of joins and if you see bubbling, you know your connection is leaking.

Another thing to check would be the length of the tubing and the placement of the bottle. If the tubing is too long and/or the bottle is placed to low in relation to the tank, this can make it difficult for the CO2 to build up sufficient pressure to inject into the tank. Since you are starting to get bubbles in the bubble counter, you may just need to wait a little longer for it to build sufficient pressure.

Ok, shipment came in, you know what that means... Pictures!

I got a WICKED piece of driftwood. Love the shape and the holes. So will the Kuhli Loaches.

IMG_2618.jpg

-
IMG_2619.jpg

-
IMG_2620.jpg

Neat Huh? For a size reference, I have large hands ;)

Here is a quick photoshop of what I expect the tank to look like after I add the Driftwood...
Tank_010106_x800.jpg

Not bad eh? Hah! Actually, that's travis simonson's lovely tank. Click here to read some about it.

I'm boiling half of the Driftwood now, I'll boil the other half when I can, then I'll add it to the tank. There are no inhabitants at the moment, so I see no reason to be concerned with discolration.

Still working on the CO2 generator problem. Will update later.

- Chris

So the last thing I need to get before I get fish, I think, is some test kits. I have a quick question though, I just want to make sure that This is a good kit to buy. Any Opinions?

I'm adding the driftwood to the tank right now, then the activated carbon. I'm also still goofing around with the CO2 generator, I'm going to try a new bottle cap, as well as shortening all the airline I used.

I'll post a pic tonight if it's worth showing ;)

I hope it is. That is the one I just ordered. Have you tried crazy glue around your seals in the caps. It works for me.

Nope, I've not tried crazy glue yet. I have it on my shopping list, along with rubber bands and ducktape. I'm going to wrap a plastic bag around the cap w/ a rubberband to see if it is producing any CO2, and I'm going to ducktape my smaller bottle (bubble counter) to the larger bottle to reduce the distance the CO2 will have to travel at first.

- Chris

Pictures!

The driftwood looks fantastic, IMO. The dark area on the left of it is a hole leading to more holes which go all the way through... lots of good hiding spaces!

IMG_2626.jpg

-

IMG_2627.jpg

After putting it in though, I noticed there seems to be a white-ish clear-ish fundus on it. hrm. Anyhow, Activated carbon is running, so hopefully the water will remain clear-ish ;)

Thanks Rich.

Jchillin, I was thinking maybe an ABN pleco. I don't think I've seen any dwarf pleco's though, so I'll go check those out.

- Chris

Ok, Turns out my CO2 Generator is producing CO2, at about a bubble every 7 seconds, but there is a leak somewheres. I have a airline tube going from the generator into water in the smaller bottle. The reason I Was never sure if it was producing bubbles is because there is only enough pressure to push the CO2 about two inches into the water. If I stick the hose any deeper into the water, I get no bubbles. I take this to mean that there is a pressure loss somewhere, as I have read about generators blowing up because of pressure build up. So, I'll be crazy gluing it all together tonight.

Other than that, I'm trying to get to Bullhead to the fish store, but it's looking less and less likely as the day wears on :)

- Chris

You can always get a Q-tip, coat it with some slightly diluted dish soap, and paste it around all of your hose-joins to see if you have leaks. It should bubble if there is any escaping gas.

I tried that, but I didn't see any bubbles. I think I used hand soap though. Darn fish store was closed :|

Maybe next week. ;)

thats a nice peice of drift wood you got there, where did you get it? I'm tempted to order some online to replace the fake drift wood i got in my 55 right now. My LFS only carries really ugly peices of drift wood.

I would suspect that you either have a weak batch of CO2 or that the placement of your CO2 generators in relationship to your tank may be causing problems. I've seen this situation described when the CO2 generators had several feet of tubing leading to the tank and/or the CO2 generators were below the tank. This caused too much resistance to be able to inject the CO2. By shortening the length of the tubing and/or raising the level of the CO2 generators to the level of the tank the resistance was reduced sufficiently to get everything going smoothly.

One more thought. What is the temp of the room that you have this set up in? It may be that the room is too cool, reducing the efficiency of your CO2 reaction. Placing the CO2 generators in a spare aqarium (or rubbermaid tub for that matter) with some water and a heater, would help if that is the situation.

Great centerpiece. Bet your kuhliis will love it :)

Back
Top Bottom