10 gallon planted tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkullAngel

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I want to turn my 10 gallon into a planted tank. I was thinking of having some elodea/anacharis, amazon swords, water wisteria, and anubius, and a piece of driftwood. For lighting either i keep my two 20w cfl bulbs or change it to this http://m.petco.com/product/111943/Zoo-Med-Ultra-Sun-Daylight-Compact-Fluorescent-Bulb.aspx

AlsoI was thinking of having this for my substrate miracle grow organic choice http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix...ganic-Choice-Garden-Soil/16879732?type=search
Then top it off with black gravel.

I will be making a DIY Co2 reactor using a 2lt bottle

So let me know what you think and some changes I should make :)

So what kind of clay can I use in the substrate and where can I find it?

I'd go a bag of Eco complete or Flourite and do Osmocote+ root tabs. If you have a Petsmart near by check to see if they have FloraMax there, they're clearancing it out and it's $8.47 for a bag which should do.
Keep your 20w CFL bulbs, try to find them in a 6500k if you can.

I'd go a bag of Eco complete or Flourite and do Osmocote+ root tabs. If you have a Petsmart near by check to see if they have FloraMax there, they're clearancing it out and it's $8.47 for a bag which should do.
Keep your 20w CFL bulbs, try to find them in a 6500k if you can.

Ill check by my nearest pet smart, hopefully they have it on clearance cuz normally it's around $18
Besides the ones I listed, what are other suitable plants for the tank? And what's a good brand and cheap yeast I can use, most are over $40 and I check online but some of the prices aren't listed?

You could do crypts as well.
I used Red Star brand and had good results. I think as long as it's bakers yeast it will work. Make sure to check to see if it's outdated.

For the plants your interested in a dirted tank really isn't necessary and if this is your first planted tank I don't recommend starting with one.

You can use anything, sand, small grained gravel, or any commercial substrate in the tank. Just depends on your budget. I use Eco Complete in all my tanks and love it.

Back
Top Bottom