10 gallon planted tank options + lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi All,
Below is my future plan for my 10 gallon planted tank. I currently have the anacharis, forxtail, and java moss in my tank. For the java moss, i wanted it to look like a bush, so i took a plastic piece of coral and wrapped the java moss around it, now its starting to "bush" out and look real neat. I'll post a pic of it later on. I would really like a glosso carpet, but am torn beacuse I've heard java moss for the most part is a lower light demanding plant. My question is this:
Currently I have a NO 15 watt bulb and another NO 20 watt light strip on the front of my tank for extra lighting purposes and to give the underside of the java bush some light.
Would it be in my best interest to buy a 13 watt x 2 bright kit from ah supply or should I get the one 36 watt kit? Its either 2.6 wpg or 3.6 wpg. i know glosso likes the light in the 3 wpg range, but if I go with the 2.6 wpg will it be enough or will it make the glosso shoot upwards? I have the hagen co2 system and dose ferts accordingly.
What do you guys think of my plan and which light route should I go with? anyone who reads this and grows glosso, please reply with how many wpg you have and if the glosso stays small or if it reaches towards the top of the tank.
TIA
-Stewie

Attachments

• tankplan_902.jpg
    tankplan_902.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 90
I'm growing glosso in my 75gallon, with 2.9wpg and pressurized CO2 at 35ppm. I believe Tom Barr has grown glosso at less than 2.5wpg with normal output fluorescents, and had primarily horizontal growth.

Keep the water column fertilized, and CO2 above 30ppm. The Hagen ladder is fine, but you may want to swap the grey CO2 canister for something larger. 2quart gatorade or juice bottles work well, and won't tip over like a 2liter Coke bottle.

Malkore,
Whats so needy with keeping the ppm above 30? I thought its a balance between the kh/ph/gh. at a certain Ph, the plants will require a certain Kh/GH because I saw a chart somewhere on the net (probably tom barr's.) that had it all measured. Also, what does going with a bigger bottle do? just give more bubbles? My co2 is pumping out bubbles about every second or so, and I have th ladder setting on the middle one. Couldn't I just switch it from the middle to the bottom one so the bubbles get more diffused?
Thanks
-Stewie

Glosso should grow fine with the 2X13 watt CF lighting, but get the MIRO reflector with it. I made the mistake of not getting the reflector and have some minor problems getting my rotala macrandra the bright red it should be. It's only dark pink when it reaches the top of the tank (practically face to face with the light).

I'm just to thrifty for my own good.

Stewie,

you're totally misunderstanding how CO2 works, and the pH/Kh relationship (Gh has absolutely nothing to do with CO2 levels)
Start by reading this article: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

You'll then understand that the chart you mention is for determining CO2 levels based on pH and Kh. pH and Kh are inter-related...with a certain Kh, you expect a certain pH. When the pH is much lower than expected, its due to the carbonic acid created by CO2 injection.
(I'm not going to confuse you with talk about 'other acids' and 'phosphate buffers' which can invalidate the chart. we're keeping it basic right now)
Glosso likes light, and loves CO2, thus its why I suggested a minimum 30ppm of CO2, which will also help keep algae down.

Malkore,
That is the chart that I was talking about seeing. Its from Chuck Gadd's website. I was just a little loopey this morning when I was replying. I understand now where you are coming from.
Thanks
-Stewie

Ps. Anyone else have success/failure stories about their glosso and lights?

Stewie-
I have glosso in my 55 with 4.7wpg and the leaves literally hug the top of the gravel, and CO2 is 30ppm.

I think you should move your CO2 outlet tube down to the bottom and see what that does for your ppm. The grey canister does not hold that much water and sugar so you might find a juice or gatorade bottle will last you longer.

You might consider Marsilea quadrifolia as a ground cover, which I am growing in my 10 (2x 13w PC retrofit) and it is staying pretty short, and is much more forgiving and is easier to plant than glosso. It looks very similar when grown submersed.

Thanks for the input TG. I'll definitely check it out, and yes, when I go home tonight i'll move the tube down to the bottom one. Now, i'll just have to check some peoples recipies for the proper yeast/sugar/water/baking soda combo in larger containers like that.
Thanks again.
-Stewie

When it comes to mixing that up, think - more sugar, less yeast, so the yeast does not burn up the sugar too quickly and need sugar added after 4 days. 2 cups of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of (room temp) dry yeast has always worked for me. You can adjust the recipe based on production, or lack thereof.

Back
Top Bottom