10 gallon tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbjrc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I recently set up a 10 gallon planted tank. I have a 65 watt cf light for it and a diy yeast co2. My first question is there is a white fungus looking substance forming at the bottom of the co2 ladder. Second question is there have recently been alot of little white worms on the sides of the tank. I do not have any fish in the tank, so i am not putting anything in. I am having an algae problem, but I'm not sure what to do with that. If any one has any advice, it be greatly appreciated.

The white stuff at the base of the ladder is some of the yeast that has escaped your reactor and made it's way into the aquarium.

What do the worms look like? (Mobile or attached? Log and skinny or short and stubby? etc.)

Can you describe the algae? (Free floating? Color? Appearance?) Here's a couple of sites with more information.
Steve Hampton's Algae Article
GWAPA Algae Article

The worms are very thin, white in color, mostly on the glass and are maybe a centimeter long. As for the algae it appears to be green dust algae, fuzz, and thread.

Thanks

Does the base of the worm apear to be attached to the glass or crawling on the glass? If it appears to be attached, does it look like there's lots of fine branching at the tip.

Green Dust Algae just leave alone for a few weeks, then wipe of and remove with a water change. For the other two remove as much of the thread algae as possible, make sure your CO2 levels are where they should be, and then dose your nutrients to target levels. Some Algae Eaters would also help with some of the cleanup.

They look like they are stationary except the tip which is moving around. I didn't see them 2 days ago, and they don't seem to move at all. Ive never had this problem before with a tank....

Sounds like they are probably hydra. They indicate good water quality and would only be dangerous to really small fry.

They don't look like the picture. They are really skinny and don't split at the end. The tip is slightly a different color then the body. they appear to be feeding on the algae but I'm not sure.

They do crawl around. Today I saw them crawling around the glass...

I've had those before too and I also didn't know what they were. They wrapped themselves in leaves from my plants when I first set up my tank.

They looked like white maggots or something. I just took mine out 'cause I didn't know what they were.

65 watts of light is a lot for a 10 gallon tank. This definitely puts you in the high-light range. To ward off algae at this light level, you may need a pressurized CO2 system. It is a little more reliable and consistent than a yeast-based system. In the meantime, you could hook up multiple yeast canisters to your system and see if you can get more consistent CO2 production.

Sounds like they might be planaria. Here's a picture that's blown up quite a bit. Actual size is only a few mm. These can be dangerous to small fish and shrimp and should be removed if possible.

Wow, I'e never heard of any of these nasty things. I didn't know people got them. WHat are they and why do they appear?

Most of these tiny critters either come in with your water, fish, or plants. In general they are a sign of good water quality, but some can also be harmful to the aquarium inhabitants. Quite often they end up being food for the fish, which is why many people never see them.

Most of these tiny critters either come in with your water, fish, or plants. In general they are a sign of good water quality, but some can also be harmful to the aquarium inhabitants. Quite often they end up being food for the fish, which is why many people never see them.

Huh, how about that. Ya learn something every day. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom