10 hours later... Fissidens carpet + crypts :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful tank i wish i had a planted tank maybe i will make one soon

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks a lot! You most definitely should have a planted tank! There are so many options with planted tanks when it comes to the tech you want to use vs the plants / scape you want to create.

Thanks a lot! You most definitely should have a planted tank! There are so many options with planted tanks when it comes to the tech you want to use vs the plants / scape you want to create.

I just think planted tanks look so good. So I'm planning on buying s light for my 55 and putting in sand instead of gravel and planting it making a low tech tank

If your going low tech make sure not to buy a powerful light or else algae issues will arise along with poor plant growth

If your going low tech make sure not to buy a powerful light or else algae issues will arise along with poor plant growth

Oh did not know that. So would two standard light bulbs that you use in a house work

If your talking about cfl bulbs for a 4 foot tank they can work. But I would use 3 of them spread nicely to get good coverage.

You going to want 6500-6700k bulbs. Best for plant growth. Start with 13 watt cfl in that range and go up to the bigger ones once the tank is establish. The beginning stages are always tough, plants are trying to establish, you dont have a good level of healthy bacteria growth, and generally too much light for such a low plant mass. I rarely see someone new to planted tank come out guns blazing with a fully loaded planted tank.

If you can afford to plant heavy then do it right from the start. Stick with faster growing easy plants and gradually replace with harder more challenging plant. Starting with anubias and ferns and mosses are always suggested but I completely disagree with it. A newer hobbyist goes out and buys a few of each and then weeks later looses it all to algae. Reason is they can only afford or only willing to get a few and see how things go. But this causes a bad situation that is likely to fail even from an experience greenie. The plants are just too slow at growing to outcompete algae.

This isn't to say that you can't incorporate these in your scape but keep in mind the majority of your plants at the beginning should be fast growing stem plants.

Either that or start with floating plants and slowly reduce the number of floaters as time progresses. Floaters are a great way to block excess light, acting like a dimmer switch.

Back
Top Bottom