10G FW Planted Aquarium Build Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't wait to see it! I'm getting more plants for mine this weekend! I'm hoping to make it look like a forest :) I definitely want to get a carpet going. I hope I'm not just dreaming

Hello...LOL...getting more addicted huh! And no you are definitely not dreaming. I just ordered my first batch of plants for this baby. So I am hoping to get them on wednesday since I ordered it too late yesterday. They only ship monday-wednesday to make sure the plants arrive safely during the week.

UPDATES:

The water right now is a little yellowish to light brownish..I am guessing it is because of the potting soil I put in the first layer. I hope it will clear up pretty soon though.

Daileene, you definitely need to start a class on planted tanks! I wish you were near me so you could help me with my 60 gallon tank. I'm so hoping to plant that tank, but everything I read tells me I need a lot of money for lighting and CO2. If seems like you have a "wet" green thumb:)!

awww thank you Ohneil...I don't know about that...I have to be good with cycling tanks first. LOL...I am having trouble with my levels lately with my other 10G and my 5G...weird.

Anyway, if you really wanted to have a planted tank, start with the low light. You will only have to change the lighting and CO2 will not be an addition. It really is up to you after if you want to upgrade to a high tech planted plants. That's when the CO2, different lighting and additional ferts will come in, meaning, money will also be adding up...if you know what I mean.

But it is definitely rewarding AND challenging either way you choose.

UPDATES:

Levels at 11:35AM (3/11/2011): Ammo=0.50ppm still...

Went to walmart today and got me the following addition to this tank:

- 2x20W CFL Daylight Bulbs 6500K T3
- 1 timer (for photoperiods later on)
- 1x Tetra submersible heater for 10-30G

Good News. I went to the hardware to get the replacement of the original socket that came in with the hood, but the manager said they only have the one socket, not the 2 back to back socket. So I told him what happened to this socket of mine. And he said, water will not affect it. He told me it was safe and that the brass inside the socket just needs to be lifted up a bit and then sand a bit then it will be working again. So I did, and it worked!!! So I need not buy a new one. Yayyy! Savings!!!

I will update with photos in a bit. I am worried that the filter (Top Fin 10) is not really working properly though. The tank is not clearing up, it is getting more yellowish. You'll see in the picture. So if that is the case, I need to get a new filter...sigh!

That's awesome about your socket! Good deal! (y)

That sucks though if your filter isn't working. :( Do you currently use carbon in your media? I found that helps clear up the water. If you already do use carbon, then yeah, something must be wrong.

Btw, I bought my first round of live plants today... and failed miserably! LOL I already have a few posts on here about what happened, so I'm not going to reiterate it here. I'm just glad I'm not a fish n00b anymore or else I would be really dangerous! :p

Sorry about the filter:(. I've read a lot of posts and heard a lot of people talk about how bad those Top Fin filters are. I have one on my 29 gallon tank. When I added a second Marineland filter I could really see the difference. I still use both, mainly to keep the bacteria going in the Top Fin should I need it somewhere else (QT tank, etc). Maybe you can use the money you saved on the hood socket to upgrade to a better filter.

That's awesome about your socket! Good deal! (y)

That sucks though if your filter isn't working. :( Do you currently use carbon in your media? I found that helps clear up the water. If you already do use carbon, then yeah, something must be wrong.

Btw, I bought my first round of live plants today... and failed miserably! LOL I already have a few posts on here about what happened, so I'm not going to reiterate it here. I'm just glad I'm not a fish n00b anymore or else I would be really dangerous! :p

I know it was really a good deal...but yeah not on the filter so far. The filter cartridge is the same as what you'll put in a whisper 2-10i..the medium one..is that a carbon? The water is flowing but I think the long tube that goes in the water is not sucking up anything...but the rest is working fine...I don't know how to troubleshoot it. I don't have a manual...

And I cannot wait to see your thread about the plants. Don't worry if it looks like it melted right now if that was what happened, they will bounce back pretty soon. Just give them time to be unstress from being shipped and all. I don't believe you are not a wet thumb for plants. You can do it! :)

Just thought I will share some picture from yesterday to see how it looked like when it yellowish/brownish...one reason why i thought my filter is not working..coz the water is not clearing up at all...you be the judge.

Without the lights on:

img_1251897_0_c2bc36199327cf0beb3f43673b95fd03.jpg

img_1251897_1_11c0ed7780de6d3b10e76c449add64cb.jpg

Last edited:
I know it was really a good deal...but yeah not on the filter so far. The filter cartridge is the same as what you'll put in a whisper 2-10i..the medium one..is that a carbon? The water is flowing but I think the long tube that goes in the water is not sucking up anything...but the rest is working fine...I don't know how to troubleshoot it. I don't have a manual...

And I cannot wait to see your thread about the plants. Don't worry if it looks like it melted right now if that was what happened, they will bounce back pretty soon. Just give them time to be unstress from being shipped and all. I don't believe you are not a wet thumb for plants. You can do it! :)

You should be able to tell really quick if there's carbon in your filter. Just rub your fingers over it and if you feel bumps, that's the carbon. Btw, I'm assuming that you have the prepared media and not using anything like Bio-Bags. I use the Bio-Bags, (the ones where you put the media over a reusable holder, and manually add carbon).

I noticed in the pics you just added that the water is flowing pretty good out of your filter. Is it possible that when you added the dirt, it traveled into the media and has clogged it up? Have you tried rinsing out the media yet?

Oh and, HA! HA! Yeah, I have a green thumb, (I do my own landscaping), but I'm hoping to gain a wet (y) soon! The plants look great btw, (even the non-aquatics that I bought and still have in there)! :D I attached the Anubias to my driftwood earlier and it looks fantastic, (eh, minus the roots hanging out all over the place, but in time...).

Hi friend...hehe! It's about time that we are officially friends here, right!
Anyway, my comments back in red...

You should be able to tell really quick if there's carbon in your filter. Just rub your fingers over it and if you feel bumps, that's the carbon. Btw, I'm assuming that you have the prepared media and not using anything like Bio-Bags. I use the Bio-Bags, (the ones where you put the media over a reusable holder, and manually add carbon).

Yes, it is the one that is bumpy and its a catridge, supposedly disposable. I inserted it back the way it was after I took out all the gucky stuff when it was still sucked dry, hoping that even if the good bacteria was already dead, somehow it will still help the cycling. So I think I did have the carbon one. I think I have the Bio-bag too but the one that is already ready to go and the disposable kind.

I noticed in the pics you just added that the water is flowing pretty good out of your filter. Is it possible that when you added the dirt, it traveled into the media and has clogged it up? Have you tried rinsing out the media yet?

Yes, the water flow is working good. The filter looks like it is working good. But what I am wondering that is not working is the long tube connected to the filter that goes inside the tank to suck the stuff from the water (I tried putting my finger near it to feel the suction but I can't feel any at all). I haven't seen the dirt rising. The water is pretty clear with any dirt but just the color is not clear. So I don't think it is clogged. I only rinsed the media before I officially turned the filter on. I haven't done any PWC yet.

Oh and, HA! HA! Yeah, I have a green thumb, (I do my own landscaping), but I'm hoping to gain a wet (y) soon! The plants look great btw, (even the non-aquatics that I bought and still have in there)! :D

Cool...I know you can do it...I haven't doubt one minute that your wet thumb will be great. ;-)

I attached the Anubias to my driftwood earlier and it looks fantastic, (eh, minus the roots hanging out all over the place, but in time...).

Is that DW the one from Petco? hehehehhe!

UPDATES:

5 days of fishless cycling:

Water is still yellowish..I really have to get a new filter I think. I checked levels today around 3:48PM. And just for my curiosity's sake again, I wanted to check Nitrite as well. And to my REAL, ECSTATIC, surprise, here are the results:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 5ppm or so

I cannot believe what I saw...the vial was like really dark purple, so I was soooooo happy that in just less than a week, I have a nitrite reading...wooohooo...eventhough the filter is not working right...hehe.

Pictures updates with the lights from the hood on. Still taken last 3/11/2011...Ignore the year in the date...

img_1252846_0_1b4bff168ba5f98e86b20d450bdb8394.jpg

img_1252846_1_ba261a6c4da894cd26c78e48175badd7.jpg

img_1252846_2_4bb8d82edaf8b1e5ec692bcb5c54e4e6.jpg

Then, this one is taken today...around 3PM:

img_1252846_3_4ac31331633f91b25cc68fc1ec26ccb9.jpg

Hi friend...hehe! It's about time that we are officially friends here, right!
Anyway, my comments back in red...

Absolutely! :D Oh and yep, that's the Mopani wood that I got from Petco. ;) I took some pics of it w/ the Anubias attached to it and will be uploading those to my tank showcase thread tonight.

Congrats on getting Nitrite readings! YAY! :D It looks like your water is clearing up a bit too. Maybe the problem you have could be caused by the intake tube. If you don't feel any suction, perhaps there's an obstruction in there. Can't know for sure until you take it apart. I had the same issue w/ mine. The tube was so full of gunk that there was very little suction and my water was really nasty looking, (I still had water flowing out, but it was slower than normal).

Cool...I cannot wait to see those nice pics.

And yeah, the water looks pretty clearer with the lights on. I guess you are right about the intake tube...No suction at all. At least as far as my feeling were concerned when I tried putting my finger near the end of the tube. I cleaned it all (I think unless there are still gunk hiding somewhere) before I used it again. I don't know how to take it apart..no manual and such. And the water coming out flowing had no sign of obstructions, so, I still don't know. I really hate to spend another penny...LOL. I am so cheapskate.

Cool...I cannot wait to see those nice pics.

And yeah, the water looks pretty clearer with the lights on. I guess you are right about the intake tube...No suction at all. At least as far as my feeling were concerned when I tried putting my finger near the end of the tube. I cleaned it all (I think unless there are still gunk hiding somewhere) before I used it again. I don't know how to take it apart..no manual and such. And the water coming out flowing had no sign of obstructions, so, I still don't know. I really hate to spend another penny...LOL. I am so cheapskate.

I just uploaded them. ;)

If you cleaned the tube and it still has little to no suction, then yeah, you may need a new filter. :( I don't like spending money either, so don't feel bad. :p

UPDATES:

So sorry I wasn't on yesterday and early today...I was busy with my real life (haha)...anyway, here's some updates of my levels:

3/14/2011 around 3:35PM:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrites: 5pppm
Added some flakes to feed the ammonia eating bacteria.

3/15/2011 around 8:20PM:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 2-5ppm
Added some more flakes to feed the ammonia eating bacteria.

Looks like this tank is almost ready for some fishy friends. :-D

Was very tired to check levels tonight. I will do all of the tanks tomorrow. Promise.

You don't need to cycle a tank for plants, just fish. Go ahead and throw them in.

I am amazed at how many people are jumping on the el natural method. Let me give you some great advice. Plant your plants and don't move them. When you uproot them, the soil comes up too. If you have to uproot and replant them, do small sections at a time, followed by large water changes (up to 50%). I would plan to rescape the tank over a period of several weeks.

MTS huh? You should line up all the 10 gallons in a row and then put a shop light over top. Then you'll have the beginnings of a fish room.

Back
Top Bottom