Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Planted Tank Addict

Send a message via MSN to daileene Send a message via Yahoo to daileene Send a message via Skype™ to daileene
Wink 10G FW Planted Aquarium Build Thread #2

Okay so I am officially the queen of Multiple Tank Syndrome. Just started this hobby last December and now I am over the top. Some of you might remember when I said I was gonna get a used 30G. Well, it ended up being a 10G. My friend thought it was a 30G and when her husband took it out, she found out it was only a 10G. Oh well, I took it anyway. Free is good, right? So welcome home my 4th tank..Yikes!

This tank came with a Top Fin 10 filter, a filter media inside it (but was very dry to death so I guess there is no good bacteria left there) that I tried salvaging, 3 extra filter catridges, light hood with 2 incandescent bulbs in it (I tried turning it on and the other bulb still works, I transferred that working bulb to the other side and come to find out that the socket is not working, when I looked at it, it was wet, so I took the light fixture apart and decided to change it and hopefully I can get a new one tomorrow---I don't want anything exploding on me), extra gravels from her pond and that's it.

I set it up last night (3/8/2011) with a potting soil about 1" (just hiding in the trim in the bottom----copy cat from MFD and Marconis) and I just immediately added the gravel on top of it. So far there are not so many debris on top of the water. Although since last night and tonight, the water is still pretty light brown. I run the filter on but no heater and no light on yet. That would be my project tomorrow.
  • new socket
  • heater
  • plants (my favorite)
Okay so with no further ado, here is what it looks like last night:

And here is the wet socket (tore it apart from the light fixture):

5G Planted|10G Planted|10G Planted #2|10G Paludarium #3|20G Long Planted|20G Long Planted#2
"Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous." (1 Cor. 13:4a)
daileene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to DA fisherman
I Know that Syndrome lol, I was running five tanks last year now I'm down to three tanks ,
10g planted/platy tank.
My new 90g mix/reef.
And my wife fluvial edge.

And free is ALWAYS good I've driven 20miles for a stock 10g light so as not to pay $39.94 plus tax. LoLz

Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Following along

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Planted Tank Addict

Send a message via MSN to daileene Send a message via Yahoo to daileene Send a message via Skype™ to daileene
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA fisherman View Post
I Know that Syndrome lol, I was running five tanks last year now I'm down to three tanks ,
10g planted/platy tank.
My new 90g mix/reef.
And my wife fluvial edge.

And free is ALWAYS good I've driven 20miles for a stock 10g light so as not to pay $39.94 plus tax. LoLz
Definitely good...LOL....especially that my friend dropped it off at the house...pretty FREE..hehee...and good for you for the great deal too.

I am looking forward for this to work coz I am getting a cute tetras from a member here. I can't wait for this tank to finish cycling...Yikes! 1 more month to wait...***sigh***

And yeah, this is definitely my last tank for now...I have 2 other tanks cycling still..only one tank with fish...i am crazy! LOL!

5G Planted|10G Planted|10G Planted #2|10G Paludarium #3|20G Long Planted|20G Long Planted#2
Old 03-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
Planted Tank Addict

thank you jason...

Old 03-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Instead of doing a regular cycle on this tank, couldn't you just seed the media in one of your active filters? I did that with my 10g, and after a week or so, the media was ready to go in the 10g, and booyah, cycled tank.

Btw, I'm suggesting this because I'm anxious to see how your tank turns out and I don't want to wait a month! lol

Oh and *ahem* I'm following too because I'm trying to get plant ideas for my 55g.
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #7
Planted Tank Addict

LOL...I know...boring 1 month...

But here's the catch though...my other 10G is still in the cycling process too...LOL...I kinda had to rebuild it and I am cycling it with goldfishes (ahhhhh yeah me too)...LOL. Bad me...but I am so close to being cycled in that one. It's been 7 weeks and 3 days on that tank, but since it has fish, it is longer..so I don't have any other establsihed filter media that I can use for this one. I did use the original filter that came in with the Top Fin eventhough it was sooooo dry. I don't know if there is still any good bacteria left. I doubt it. But we'll see. Maybe I will do a raw shrimp on this one since I have some in my freezer..hehe....

And cool on transforming your 55g...planted tanks is so addicting. My 5g (30th day of fishless cycling) and 4.4g (13th day of fishless cycling) are cycling with plants. So eventhough there is no fish yet, just seeing the plants having new shoots everytime I look at it, makes me happy.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Booooooo!! It's a shame you live so far away, I could help you out. I have 1 extra filter media for my 10g on its 4th day of seeding in my 55g filter.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited to get started on a planted tank! I'm more or less going to keep it simple and go w/ low-light plants that won't get gobbled up by my Pleco. lol
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA fisherman
lol that is good except nowadays with gas it would almost cost you more to drive somewhere lol.

And following along I have wanted to do a planted tank but I don't wanna tear down my current tanks to turn them into planted. My next tank will be planted though.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can't wait to see

Tags
aqueon 10 power filter, build, build thread, plant, planted, planted aquarium, potting soil, 10 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com