10G FW Planted Aquarium...kinda Re-Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UPDATES:

5 weeks and 2 days of cycling with fish:

I have been doing PWCs everyday just to keep the ammonia not go up higher again. So far it is steady..I have to check it later again though. But I checked the Nitrite this morning and yayy I got an in between color of 1ppm and 3ppm...so I would say, I got at least 2ppm of Nitrites...it's coming along...I will update later for the ammonia...

It is good that you are seeing nitrite as it means the cycle is progressing but like ammonia you want to do pwcs to keep it below 0.25 ppm. It is even more toxic than ammonia.

Almost there!

hi fort...yes, i am doing pwcs everyday...at least 50-65%. This is the first time i've seen the nitrites back..so at least I am happy that it is showing progress. I will do another 2 pwcs tomorrow and check levels again...

thanks...

UPDATES:

5 weeks and 3 days of cycling with fish:

Before a 65% PWC around 10:30AM:

Ammonia = 4ppm
Nitrite = 2ppm

After the 65% PWC (did it around 11AM), checked levels again around 3:10PM:

Ammonia = 2ppm
Nitrite = 0.25ppm

Will be doing another PWC in a bit...will update levels later...

Did another 65% PWC around 7PM...checked levels again around 8:15PM:

Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 0.25ppm

I will be doing another PWC tomorrow...

UPDATES:

5 weeks and 4th day of cycling with fish:

Did a 65% PWC around 11AM, then checked the levels around 12:45PM:

Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 0.50ppm

Getting there....I hope.

You're getting there. Unfortunately cycling with fish takes longer than a fishless cycle.

You might have to do a 50% PWC twice a day. You really don't want to see more than 0.25ppm ammonia or 0.25ppm nitrite. If you haven't done so, see if you can get some established filter media from a friend or the LFS. It can help speed up the cycle.

Thanks Jim. I do realize that now unfortunately. The good thing is, I found a nearer LFS in my town and they can take my 2 plecos and the koi for a store credit...so hopefully I can do that as soon as I can. I am thinking of getting rid of the 2 goldfishes too and resort to tropical fishes after.

Maybe then, my tank will cycle as fast as it should be. I just did a 65% PWC this morning around 9AM and I will do another one this afternoon.

I will update levels after that...thanks again.

P.S. I have not been changing the filter media since I changed it the last time...so I hope the good bacteria is somewhat established there already.

UPDATES:

I cannot sleep so I figured out I will post some pictures that I took this afternoon of the java moss I got from the new LFS I found near my town. I really haven't scape it very good yet. But I just want to experiment them on the decorative rocks and maybe if they will thrive, I will design them together after.

And oh, I did do another 65% PWC around 4PM (2/25/2011) and took the pictures after the water change. So please forgive the little cloudiness. And ignore the date:

img_1232774_0_efd0cd6e71b7122764289aa7c455e631.jpg

img_1232774_1_d0917c06f26066001070eca6e8e14cae.jpg

img_1232774_2_29c6ee2a3ae4503f7f4a39f0350894cf.jpg

UPDATES:

I cannot sleep so I figured out I will post some pictures that I took this afternoon of the java moss I got from the new LFS I found near my town. I really haven't scape it very good yet. But I just want to experiment them on the decorative rocks and maybe if they will thrive, I will design them together after.

They should do well...will look great in a few weeks once the java moss grows! :)

UPDATE:

6th week of cycling with fish:

I did a 65% PWC today...java moss was re-wrapped (this time with a nylon around it because the goldfishes were messing it up yesterday)...did a level check and was happy with the parameters:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm

getting there....patience is definitely a virtue. ;-)

UPDATE:

6 weeks and 1 day:

Around 10:30AM (before 55% PWC), the parameters are:

Ammonia: 0.50ppm
Nitrite: 2ppm

Changed the water around 11:45AM about 55%. Primed in the bucket, then add to tank.

By 4:40PM, I checked the levels again and parameters are:

And just for my curiosity, I took out my 3rd vial and checked Nitrates....and it reads.........5ppm. Yayyy! Does this mean I am really getting there?

And I have been thinking a lot lately about getting all my stock right now in this tank to a new home as soon as I can. I have possible places for them to go.

So now, I am thinking I will put a betta here. Since this is bigger than my 5G, can I put a school of tetras here this time? Can I put other tankmates aside from one betta and a school of tetras? I am also thinking of putting a nerite snail in here too. I am giving both my plecos away. Will I overstocked?

Please advice. Thank you all in advance.

UPDATES:

6 weeks and 2 days of cycling with fish:

2:40PM levels:

Nitrites: 5ppm
Nitrates: 20ppm

3PM, 65% PWC....

6:40PM levels:

Nitrites: 0.25ppm
Nitrates: 20ppm

Getting there.....:-D

UPDATES: (as usual, :)) 6 weeks and 3 days of cycling with fish:

4:40PM levels:

Nitrite: 1ppm
Nitrates: 5ppm

65% PWC around 5ishPM

Around 9:10PM:

Nitrites: 0.25ppm
Nitrates: 10ppm

Okay I did my normal 65% PWC yesterday (3-3-2011) and today (3-4-2011). I didn't check parameters yesterday but I did today...

I got a strange readings today and I am concerned. Please let me know if this is normal..I am in the 6th weeks and 5 days of cycling with fish today and the parameters read:

ammonia: 0.25ppm
nitrites: 0ppm
nitrates: 0ppm

I took this test around 4:15PM (an hour from the PWC). Is this normal? I have a constant reading before and now it is weird. Did my cycle stall? I haven't done any different way from my routine of PWCs.

I think your tank is probably close to being cycled. There just isn't any nitrate or nitrite reading because you have kept up so faithfully with the pwcs. Teat again in 24 hrs and see where you are.

Back
Top Bottom