10G FW Planted Aquarium...kinda Re-Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I have been thinking a lot lately about getting all my stock right now in this tank to a new home as soon as I can. I have possible places for them to go.

So now, I am thinking I will put a betta here. Since this is bigger than my 5G, can I put a school of tetras here this time? Can I put other tankmates aside from one betta and a school of tetras? I am also thinking of putting a nerite snail in here too. I am giving both my plecos away. Will I overstocked?

Please advice. Thank you all in advance.

I think tankmates for a betta would greatly depend on the temperament of the betta. Definitely nothing too colorful/with long flowing fins that may be seen as a territorial threat and cause aggression in the betta. Also, no fish with fin nipping tendencies that might nip the betta's long fins. I know we have a few members here who are experienced with betta..Maybe one will chime in and give you a few suggestions.

As Coleallensmom said, it really depends on the betta's attitude.

We've had males who didn't bother our other fish but the females were vicious. We had one female who killed anything we put in with her; corys, snails, neons etc. She would kill them all.

I think tankmates for a betta would greatly depend on the temperament of the betta. Definitely nothing too colorful/with long flowing fins that may be seen as a territorial threat and cause aggression in the betta. Also, no fish with fin nipping tendencies that might nip the betta's long fins. I know we have a few members here who are experienced with betta..Maybe one will chime in and give you a few suggestions.

Thanks dear..I had a male before...but was on his own. Some says to put them last so he will not think that the tank is all his...think that would work? What kind of fish are fin nipping ones?

As Coleallensmom said, it really depends on the betta's attitude.

We've had males who didn't bother our other fish but the females were vicious. We had one female who killed anything we put in with her; corys, snails, neons etc. She would kill them all.

Oh my, that's one female fighter...I am only looking to get a male, so I hope that will not be a problem for me. :) Thanks Dragon.

Some says to put them last so he will not think that the tank is all his...think that would work? What kind of fish are fin nipping ones?

That might work. A lot of Barbs are considered nippy, some danios, as well as some species of tetra...Serpae, black skirts, buenos aires tetra are all known as nippers. However, in my experience, tetra behavior can really depend on how large the tank is, how many fish are in the school, and what the other tankmates are.

What about doing a betta and some shrimp? I absolutely love my Cherry Shrimp.

Was thinking of doing that actually....I will finalize my stockings once I can rehome this goldies and koi of mine...LOL....they are ruining my aquascape...they keep on digging the substrate too much...arrghhh...

UPDATES:

7th week and 4 days of cycling with fish:

Ammonia: 1ppm (wayyy high with fish)
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm (weird since it went 10-20ppm last few days)

Did a 65% PWC and I haven't check the levels back again. Will update later.

UPDATES:

7th week and 5 days of cycling with fish:

Did a 65% PWC around 10:30AM.

Levels at 11:45AM:

Ammonia: 0.50
Nitrate: 0ppm

Did another 40% PWC around 1PM. Levels around 2:55PM:

Ammonia: 0.50ppm still
Nitrate: 0ppm

Okay, now my question is, did my cyle restarted? Why is my nitrite and nitrate constantly staying at 0ppm now since 3/7/2011. Or did I mess this cycle up too? :-( I know my Ammo is still not good for my fishies...so I know I have to do another PWC...

UPDATES:

8th week of cycling with fish:

Levels at 3:20PM:

Ammonia: 2ppm (waaaaaaa)
Nitrite: 0.25ppm

Did a 70% PWC around 4:15PM. Then another 70% PWC around 7:55PM. Levels around 8:15PM:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm (whewww)

Well not too much happening here..levels are almost still the same and I am in my 9th week and 2 days of cycling this tank.

I have not added more plants here since my last experience with my spiral vals getting eaten. I was able to save the base with the roots and planted it in my new 10G and it is sprouting new leaves now.

Here is one pic update after putting the largest DW out of the 4 DWs I got from sweet aquatics. It is a malaysian dw..and believe me, they have no tannins at all. I am loving it. Got 2 rocks outside my house too and they are working just fine.

img_1263559_0_d982a12bcf96e5debe5c36ab9b2a4c87.jpg

thanks...i can't wait till I can change my background to either blue or black...then transfer this fishes to my father in law's pond, then add more plants and put new residents in..LOL...so many wish list...so long to wait...

Hello everybody!

I am finally back. My koi and my fantails are finally at my father in law's pond. Yayyyy! Sooooo, I finally got more plants in here that I cannot have when I had them because they dig the substrate too much and they ate my plants except the swords.

It is not looking too good yet since the plants just got planted last Monday, May 30 (my koi and fantails were transferred to my FIL's pond last May 28).

Water parameters are good.

Here are the new look of it now:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/33270-albums1785.html

I flip the old background over and it was a plain navy blue so I did like that instead. I experimented on my air bubble in the wall coz I love it here for some reason.

Enjoy looking at the pics.

got my 6 embers last June 8, 2011. Can't them all together all the time...they are very fast.

33270-albums1785-picture12365.jpg

And my horned nerite snail:

33270-albums1785-picture12359.jpg

Ok, for some reason, I have never seen this thread! lol I will need to take some time and get caught up on this one. Oh and look, there are the plants I sent you! :D Sadly, the Anubias Petite I have in my 10g is covered in BBG. Grrrr! I'm trying to remedy that, but it's going slow. I may try lights out for a full 3 days and see if that works.

Another awesome video btw! It's a shame your female DG was hiding. Li'l stinker!

Ok, for some reason, I have never seen this thread! lol I will need to take some time and get caught up on this one. Oh and look, there are the plants I sent you! :D Sadly, the Anubias Petite I have in my 10g is covered in BBG. Grrrr! I'm trying to remedy that, but it's going slow. I may try lights out for a full 3 days and see if that works.

Another awesome video btw! It's a shame your female DG was hiding. Li'l stinker!

LOL...yeah. It will take you a while to read this...do it next time when your eyes are not hurting. This was my very first tank where I did all my mistakes from. HA!

Don't worry about the BBG. I got some in mine too. It came from the guy you got it from, but you can get rid of them with Excel, when yours will arrive. And I think the lighting too will help (turning it off).

Yeah, that li'l stinker always hides on me...she is very scaredy(sp?)...LOL:ROFLMAO: She would have been pregnant if I put him in with Edwin. LOL. But I wasn't ready for babies....:D

Back
Top Bottom