10G FW Planted Build from start to finish >>>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys, just starting a thread for a new nano planted tank I'm setting up. I've been out of the hobby for a couple of years and used to have several tanks both SW and FW. Now in a new rental I am able to setup a new aquarium but am waiting a little while before returning to SW.

I want to setup a really easy to maintain 10G with some easy to care for plants, shrimp and fish (thinking golden mountain cloud minnows at the moment but I'll save the fish selection until later.

I had a similar tank in the past, a small mr Aqua cube that was well planted with mountain cloud minnows, shrimp, snails, Ottos and a Siamese Fighting fish. I know the betta was a little risky with the shrimp but they all got on great and it was an awesome little community tank. I would like to achieve something similar with this new project.

I have chosen to use a Innovative Marine Fusion 10 for this setup. I have not seen one setup with FW before but they are quality tanks and although the rear sump may give off a bit of gas, I think the low flow I will run will make it minimal. Although the filter in the IM10 is a bit overkill for a planted aquarium, I mainly want to use the rear sump to hide the heater and ATO as well as use filter floss to polish the water.

I have also ordered the upgraded IM filter basket and fish guard to cover the overflow. I'm hoping the guard will prevent the potential shrimp from making there way into the sump (unlikely!).

To avoid needing to put a powerhead in the main display, I have a IM spin stream nozzle for return pump outlet. This should provide adequate circulation in the tank. I plan to aim it down to avoid too much surface agitation as the sump weir will probably provide enough in such a small tank.

For lighting I chose to go with the Kessil A150 Amazon Sun LED mounted with a gooseneck. I've had Kessils on SW setups before and love them. I really like the shimmer and color that these LEDs produce, they are also much cooler and have a much better lifetime than their MH equivalents.

I have chose a Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 50W for a heater. Thought it was a perfect choice as it keeps the water to .5 degrees and reads the tanks actual temps. Also not being glass, it's less likely to break in the sump.

I am going to setup an ATO in this tank, mainly to relieve the need for constant top-ups and the return pump running dry, It will also allow my top-up water to age a little. I chose to use the IM ATO for this as they don't contain any moving parts and fit nicely in the sump with strong magnets to secure them.

I will also be making a DIY stand for this tank. Still need to plan this out but it will be pretty basic.

So that's the setup, once it is all put together I will start to really think about it's contents.

I will post pictures of this build from start to finish.

Any feedback, ideas and wisdom you wish to share along the way will be greatly appreciated!

More to follow...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good choice on the Cobalt Neotherm. They are by far my favorite heater ever. Do you have a scientific name for the golden mountain cloud minnows? I am not familiar but have seen them mentioned on here before. I'd like to look them up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow sounds like $$$$ to me. Yes that many digits. :)

I'd do something cool. Some kind of microrasbora or one of the microdevarios. Or maybe Danio Margaritatus?

I assume you're going with injected co2 and a nice substrate right?

Anyways, following along. :D

Good choice on the Cobalt Neotherm. They are by far my favorite heater ever. Do you have a scientific name for the golden mountain cloud minnows? I am not familiar but have seen them mentioned on here before. I'd like to look them up.

I believe they're just a variety of white clouds, like the long finned that are available.

The golden ones are a captive descendant of the White Cloud Mountain minnow https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Cloud_Mountain_minnow

They are actually a cold water fish so if I do choose to go with them as well as some tropical species I need to balance the temperature properly. That's why I thought the neotherm would be a good choice.

Wow sounds like $$$$ to me. Yes that many digits. :)

I'd do something cool. Some kind of microrasbora or one of the microdevarios. Or maybe Danio Margaritatus?

I assume you're going with injected co2 and a nice substrate right?

Anyways, following along. :D

Thanks for the fish suggestions, I really like the Danio Margaritatus but I thought they did better in a species only tank (maybe wrong!).

I haven't put much thought in to the livestock yet, but will definitely read up on those.

I suppose with the high output of the Kessil I will have to do some sort of co2 setup... I've not got much experience with co2 so will have to research it. I'd probably go with a paintball canister setup but don't know more than that at this point. This will prob be an early addition once the tank is up and running.

And for substrate I'm going to use Seachem Flourite, I have used it in the past with good results and like the look of it. I've ordered a bag of it in the dark brown color, I think it will contrast with the colors of the plants well.

So today I was thinking about the DIY stand I am going to build for this project. I wanted something simple that housed my ATO container and Co2 so started drawing up ideas... I came up with this sketch - I decided to put some industrial/heavy duty castor wheels on the base - I've not seen this done before but due to the fact that the tank will be placed in a side room that gets pretty cold during the winter, I may need to wheel it into the next room for the season. It will also be useful to clean behind the tank or just easily move it should I want to re-arrange the room. As this is such a small setup I'm pretty confident the stand and tank will withstand the pressures of rolling it along the hard floors. I am going to select castor wheels that are more than capable of supporting double the weight and that have brakes so that there is no chance of it rolling around if someone nudges it.

So all of the plugs and equipment will be held inside of the stand which will have a 2x4 frame and some nice quality ply-wood wrapped around it. I want to keep the stand flush with the tank except for a 1" lip on the back where I will have some drilled holes to keep the Co2 and ATO hoses tidy and some clips for the power cords (ATO, return pump, heater & light). I will then have holes in the back for the tubing and cords with 1 power cord going into the wall.

I a thinking of putting 2 solid handles into the side panels towards the top (anchored into the 2x4 frame). I think this will be the most stable way to roll it around once built. I then plan to have the front door on 3 oversized hinges and a handle knob - I will use cabinet magnets on the inside to keep the door shut.

I will probably create a couple of small shelves inside for the ATO pump, Co2 tank and ATO reservoir. I will work these out once I have all of the equipment so I can build it to fit.

i will finish the stand in wither a bleached gray or a black wood stain.

Sorry these messy scribbles look like drawings of a mad man but they include all of the needed cuts and layouts.

I will probably build the stand in the next couple of weeks and will take pictures during the process to share on the thread.

If you have any ideas or ideas of how I could improve this let me know!

Thanks,
TomImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442799536.618318.jpg

I think it's a great idea to be able to move it around. This is the most professional drawing I've seen in awhile. Lol

Messy scribbles??? I thought these were done using a computer program. I like the holes idea.

IMHO if you want be rolling it around much then handles are unnecessary and sort of unsightly.

What does ATO mean? Is that a sump? (Also, what does sump stand for lol)

Messy scribbles??? I thought these were done using a computer program. I like the holes idea.

IMHO if you want be rolling it around much then handles are unnecessary and sort of unsightly.

What does ATO mean? Is that a sump? (Also, what does sump stand for lol)

Ha thanks. I'm not 100% on the handles yet but I'm kind of liking the idea of making it look a little industrial with the large hinges and big caster wheels. It will be the last thing that goes on the stand once it's built so have some time to think about it...

I'm not planning on dragging this tank around the house on a daily basis but just like the idea of easily being able to move it should I want to.

ATO is auto top off - the sensors and pump that keep the water level topped up automatically.

I found the wheels for the DIY stand. After talking with a caster expert (they exist apparently!) I determined these would be the best choice and are able to support 300lb per wheel so will easily be able to handle the 100lb tank and 30-50lb stand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221711341088

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442849180.579693.jpg

Tank arrived today! Started building the stand too but that's a while from being completed. Love the IM Fusion 10!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442928938.025648.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442928960.913583.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442928995.722874.jpg

Following along. Sounds like you have a solid plan laid out. I like the stand design. From the looks of the casters, you may be able to tear them down to paint the hardware to match if you found the raw version unsightly

Jesse

Following along. Sounds like you have a solid plan laid out. I like the stand design. From the looks of the casters, you may be able to tear them down to paint the hardware to match if you found the raw version unsightly

Jesse

Thanks, good idea about painting the casters. I'm going to see how they look, I kind of like the raw looking steel and think I may get some oversized hinges that match but will wait until it's built to see how it looks.

A heavy industrial, slightly rustic look would be awesome I think. Use old heavy chain, or very thick rope instead of handles to move it around.. Lots of cool ideas for simple things once you allow your brain to think outside of the box.

Jesse

Quick update...

I've decided to go for a small co2 setup with this tank. I chose the compact Aquatek regulator that uses paintball tanks. I'm planning on getting a 24oz tank for it.

The Neotherm heater and a fish guard for the overflow also arrived today. The fish guard fits perfectly and looks small enough to stop most living things.

I also started work on the stand. I have only got the inside frame built so far but it is very sturdy. In the photos you can see where the ATO system will sit, I'm going to put the co2 on the left side and pin down all the cables to hide them behind. I will be wrapping the stand in plywood like my drawing. For the sensors I decided to use the IM Hydrofill and paired it with a TomAquatics lift pump.

I also decided that I'm going to put 2 in-wall light timers on the outside of the stand for super easy access. One will power the kessil, the other for the co2 reg. I'm going to put these both on the right side of the stand - currently looking to see I can find black ones so that they blend into the stand more.

Expecting the Kessil Sun to arrive tomorrow...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443055909.978456.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443055939.555049.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443055961.855945.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443055983.855546.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443056001.061030.jpg

Wooh hoo! Looks awesome! Can;t wait to see it planted and filled up! What kind of fish are we talking here?

Wooh hoo! Looks awesome! Can;t wait to see it planted and filled up! What kind of fish are we talking here?

Thanks, not sure yet on the fish selection... Or the plant selection! I'd like to have some shrimp, snails, ottos and maybe mountain cloud minnows. I'm going to give it a lot more thought once the tank is setup.

Back
Top Bottom