10g lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello guys, I have a question regarding a 10g guppy tank of mine...right now it has a 16in. Finnex Ray 2 on it (the actual length of the tank is 20in) so I have a metal bar going across the tank for the light to sit on since its not long enough to fit. The light is actually meant for my 6g, which I will need to use on in a few days so I need to get a new light for this 10g. Here is a pic of the tank

dhffib.jpg

The only plants I plan to have in it is the ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata, rotala magenta and some carpeting plant, so I need it high light...I can't do any CO2 at the moment, but will probably come soon if needed...what light do you his recommend? I am aiming for an LED one. I maybe the 24" Ray 2? FugeRay? I'm also now on a budget...thanks!

I wish I had info on the lights, but I don't. I LOVE the tank though! Beautiful and looks very sharp! What kind of plants are those? I've always wanted some and never known what they are.

It's hard to get more budget friendly than a couple of CFLs in a incandescent hood. That being said, I see no reason why the Ray 2 you currently have won't serve the purpose, assuming its just a few inches short on either side.

I wish I had info on the lights, but I don't. I LOVE the tank though! Beautiful and looks very sharp! What kind of plants are those? I've always wanted some and never known what they are.

Thanks! The plants behind the rocks are ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata and the little red sprigs popping out from the bottoms of the rocks is rotala magenta, all clippings from my 60g...

It's hard to get more budget friendly than a couple of CFLs in a incandescent hood. That being said, I see no reason why the Ray 2 you currently have won't serve the purpose, assuming its just a few inches short on either side.

Yeah I would use the Ray 2 I have but unfortunately it belongs on the 6g, so I need to find a new light for this tank....

I second aqua_chem. a couple CFLs in an incandescent hood. It's really the way to go in a 10 gallon. I used 2 13watt 6500k daylight bulbs from lowes when I had a 10g.

So it seems the CFL bulbs are popular, so do I need to go get a 10 gallon hood for the tank? Sorry I know nothing about CFL bulbs

Phishfriend (amongst others) took inexpensive utility light fixtures (available at most hardware stores; usually silver...looks like a large Hershey's kiss) and painted them black and has good results (light wise and aesthetics).

Phishfriend (amongst others) took inexpensive utility light fixtures (available at most hardware stores; usually silver...looks like a large Hershey's kiss) and painted them black and has good results (light wise and aesthetics).

Oh yeah I know what you're talking about. I have 2 of those black light fixtures from when I kept turtles (the turtles need a heat lamp and special UV bulbs ) that I can use. So what type of light to go in it?

Thanks! The plants behind the rocks are ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata and the little red sprigs popping out from the bottoms of the rocks is rotala magenta, all clippings from my 60g...

Cool. Thank you. :) I saw your bird sitting next to your 60 gallon somewhere. Jealous of all of your pets. :) do you ever sell the clippings?

PAR is 43 at 12". Im not sure what is high and medium light. It grows dwarf hairgrass pretty good.

The 18" ray 2 is 72 par at 12 inches. Led compendium on TPT states 30-80 is medium 80-120 is high light. You're gonna need co2 for this one too, Dan... Hahaha ;)

Yeah the PAR for what I have on it now is 49 I believe, and the FugeRay is 43 so it's not that much of a difference...maybe I should keep it at medium light?

Seriously though, 2 13watt CFLs are perfect for a ten gallon, you can get away with only dosing excel and having OKAY growth, or you can add co2 and have faster growth. It seems to be the sweet spot for a 10. At least IME.

Seriously though, 2 13watt CFLs are perfect for a ten gallon, you can get away with only dosing excel and having OKAY growth, or you can add co2 and have faster growth. It seems to be the sweet spot for a 10. At least IME.

Alright, and is there like good and bad brands of lighting to buy? I can pick up some of that window film while I'm there lol

I had CFLs on my 10 gallon before. They were alright but they got very hot and the open top with the slim fugeray looks alot better then the bulky black hood that held the CFLS.

Back
Top Bottom