10g Planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quartz92

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I am new to this forum and wanted to know if anyone could help me with a startup of a 10g planted tank. I have the tank set up, gravel, heater and filter ready!

If I asked you to aquascape and add fish what would you do?

Any advice is welcomed as I am new to planted tanks, I do have 5 years of freshwater experiance. I currently have a 31g cichlid tank and a 20g goldfish tank.

im thinking of aquascaping my 10 gallon tank after i get a bigger tank and transfer all my fish in there
what kind of plants are you thinking...i was thinking plants and red cherry shrimps for my 10 gallon since i wanted a shrimp only tank as well
keep us posted with pics

Ill kepp posted with pics too, my LFS only has a limited variety of plants so right now im getting hygrophillia, java fern, and anubias! Im getting (fish) ottos, bronze/sterbai corydoras, lemon and rummynose tetras, if everything goes good maybe 2 red cherry shrimp.

this is something that i would like to have one day...this is from another site i hope the owner doesnt mind me posting his pic

Attachments

• yt_127e.jpg
    yt_127e.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 106
i would wait to add otos in a new tank there really isnt much to eat. seems like you are adding a too much. i would stick to one type of cory and one of the smaller ones at that.

The / means or in my statment above. According to various sources on the internet and my LFS otos should be added first 2 weeks after having plants.

i think i would wait on the ottos untill you start seeing some algae growth

I am going to wait for algae growth. Is there any equipment or anything that you would reommened? And plants that are neat?

Otos need to have algae to eat, that is their main diet and they don't eat all algae so that is why it is best to have them in a well established tank. Nearly all otos are wild caught. You really need to quarantine them so they don't bring in disease in your tank there are a few lucky people that actually been successful in having them spawn. As far as cories go you might want to check out habrosus or maybe pygmaius.

The list of your fish seem to all be schooling or shoaling fish and need to be kept in groups to really thrive.

yup. i recommend that you check to make sure you have enough lighting, you should think about co2, and fertilizers.
i would also kinda recommend that you start out reading and asking more questions in the Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks section as the aquascaping is kinda a little bit more of an advanced and artistic view of a planted tank. i think that you'll learn what you need to learn there and then once you know more about different kinds of plants and the requirements of those plants, you can step it up to aquascaping. just my opinion.

what i've been doing is buying different kinds of plants and seeing how they grow in my tank. see what i like and what i dont care for. and when i get a good feel for it all, i'm gonna tear it all down and scape it.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/

I have very good lighting in the tank, and my filter is a 30g filter. Thanks for the recomendations.

Here is my list 4 otos, 3 cories, 6 or 8 lemon and rummy nose tetras. I know some of you may think this is a lot, but I have had 4-5 years of expeiance with freshwater and know that I can handle an overstocked tank. Water changes just need to be done and to be honest I think most of my fish survive better in crowded environments.

This is an older picture of our 10gal. We have 6 platys now, 2 cory catfish, 1 male Betta, 2 otos, 4 black neon tetras and an army of ghost shrimp. For some reason, I prefer shrimp in the smaller tanks with only a few other fish but lots of plants. One of these days I'll post current pictures of it. It now has driftwood pieces, better plants but the same stock.

Attachments

• 10 gal platy.jpg
    10 gal platy.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom