10g Planted Tank Build Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfhrtn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just getting my 29 gallon up and running well after a fishless cycle. Since building that tank and enjoying the process. I have started on my 10 gallon now. I tore down, cleaned everything up, inspected all the seals, and did a fishless cycle. Still got to finish the scape and figure out the hardware. I want this to be a grow out tank for the clippings from the 29 and a quarantine tank for new or injured fish.

So far the hardware I have come up with is below.

Hardware/Equipment

Aquaclear 20 maybe 30

Aqueon Versa Top 20"

Hydor 50w Heater

Nicrew 20" led light or Beamswork .5w DA Pent 6500k

Did a fishless cycle with an already established filter so didn't take but about 6 days. Still will have to get he new filter cycled once I get it.

After cleaning and refill:

IMG_20170704_030635270_HDR.jpg

I appreciate it @Funken_A got a long ways to go but I'm slowly getting there. Hard to do with work lately. Still gathering up some river rocks to go in with the slate I have for the tank.

Yesterday I ordered a few things during Prime Day. I will list everything I ordered below. Still have a few more things to get ordered but I'm slowly checking everything off the list.

Which would be the better choice for the filter? An Aquaclear 20 or an Aquaclear 30? I'm worried the current with an AC 30 will be too much on a 10 gallon

Also checked the ammonia and nitrates in the tank. Ammonia was .25ppm and nitrates were ~40ppm. Got to do a 20% water change and add more ammonia this evening

What was ordered yesterday:

Nicrew 20" Led Light

20" Aqueon Versa Top

Aquarium Pipe Cleaner

Another API Liquid Ammonia Test (almost through my first set of bottles)

Did a 20% water change last night and dosed ammonia back to 1ppm. Don't want the bacteria to starve between now and the time at it sees a very small stock.

Got my Nicrew light and versa top coming in the mail today. Once I get these installed I will add some clippings into the tank to let them start growing out. Going to be interesting testing out this Nicrew light.

Still up in the air about the AC 20 vs AC 30 filter. I'm thinking the 20 should be enough. I know the 30 would be but I'm worried the 30 would have too much current. I may just be over thinking this. Anyone got experience with a 20 or 30 on a 10 gallon?

I used to run a pair of AC50s on a 20g long. Surprisingly, the flow was not too strong for nano fish and newly planted carpet plants. That being said, a single AC50 is still plenty for the 20g.
In your case, I would go with the AC30 on the 10g. You can always reduce the flow (but not increase it).

I used to run a pair of AC50s on a 20g long. Surprisingly, the flow was not too strong for nano fish and newly planted carpet plants. That being said, a single AC50 is still plenty for the 20g.
In your case, I would go with the AC30 on the 10g. You can always reduce the flow (but not increase it).

I agree. I run an AC30 on my 10g qt tank and the flow isn't too much.

Any reason you need the glass top? I'd be concerned about the reduction in light they create.

Last edited:
@Fresh2o @Reygan2 I appreciate the info. Your right though cause you can always decrease the flow but can't increase the power of a pump. The reason I went ahead and got the glad top was I plan on having a nerite or 2 in this tank as well. They are very efficient workers. Never thought I'd like snails but they are really interesting little creatures. Always a game of hide and seek going on. I can see a good bit of light reduction with that brown plastic strip holding the glass together but I've got all the LEDs positioned behind that strip

I added some river stone in the bottom to give the pic some contrast instead of just all white sand. Going to get some clippings in this evening along with some root tabs to give this new light a test

IMG_20170715_033922713.jpg

IMG_20170715_022613382_HDR.jpg

@Barliman I sure do appreciate it. Got a ways to go yet :)

Got a few S Repens and some Purple Mudwort clippings from the 29 gallon in the tank with to test to see how this Nicrew light will perform growing plants. Feel like it is a 50/50 shot as the color temp looks to be 8000k-10000k it's definitely not as warm of temp as the Beamswork 6500k. Put the light on a timer for 6hrs during the day. Also got an AC 30 ordered along with a Aqueon 50w heater. Added a few root tabs in the sand to give the plants a chance. Was really surprised how well the Repens is rooting. Also dosed Thrive to help the tank get some nutrients in the water column for the plants. Hoping some diatoms or algae will appear so once I'm done scaping and planting it I can get some nerites in there without having to use algae wafers.

I got to get out and do some rock hunting at the river to see if I can find some scaping rocks as I'm not really feeling the slate.

Tested the water tonight which I should have done before dosing ammonia back to 1ppm but I'll post the results below.

7/16/17

pH 6.0

Ammonia: 1ppm

Nitrites: 0ppm

Nitrates: ~30ppm

Temp: 75.1

IMG_20170716_034312221_HDR.jpg

The plants that were added along with a FTS

IMG_20170716_004734394.jpg

IMG_20170716_014748842_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170716_014740026_HDR.jpg

Last night after I got off work and back to the house after dinner I figured I'd start setting up the new AC 30 and install the heater. I used the old filter floss from the tetra filter cartridge to go on either side of the sponge to hopefully help seed the it. Then rinsed the remaining filter floss in the tank to release the bacteria from them into the tank. Messed around with filter placement in the tank to try to get surface agitation across the whole tank and ended up just putting it in the center of the tank. Placed the heater next to the filter so it would hopefully spread the heat out in the tank. Got the heater to 74°f and will see if it is near it this evening. Expecting it to be a little bit above what the setting actually is. Going to see if I can't find some rock to finish the scape with soon.

Anyone know if there is a circulation pump that is small enough for a 10 gallon or would I just have to run an air stone?

IMG_20170717_233647166.jpg
IMG_20170718_000856414.jpg
IMG_20170718_001114681.jpg
IMG_20170718_165753.jpg

With the AC30 on full blast you should have enough circulation. You can always leave the water level a bit low to allow some splashing, but you shouldn't need it.

This is going to be awesome actually it already is I might have to start a new one myself!!

FYI, you can also paint those intake tubes on your filter with Krylon Fusion spray paint. I've sprayed all mine black and it makes all the difference with a black background. It's perfectly safe too, just let it dry really well. Also, you might consider placing your heater horizontally near the substrate just for aesthetic purposes. Just my .2 [emoji16]

I appreciate the info. I have had the filter wide open for almost 24hrs now and don't have near as much film on top of the water as I did before the rebuild. Might lower the water a hair to help with agitation. Thought about placing the heater horizontally to help spread the heat and once I get the setting to where I am going to keep it I may go ahead do it. Wouldn't have to keep unplugging it for every water change. Your right about aesthetics with the heater though. Only thing I like about having the intake tubes see through is I can see when they need to have a pipe cleaner run through them.

Also thank you @Haskins. Got a ways to go yet but I'm on my way for sure :) looking forward to getting out to the river to find some rocks to finish the hard scape with

Also added some crushed coral with aragonite to the tank last night. pH was 6.0 or less and when I tested the water tonight it had come up to around 6.4-6.6 which I am glad to see to it coming up. Otherwise the test looked good so far. I dosed ammonia up to 2ppm, nitrites were <.25ppm, nitrates were 30-40ppm, and the temp was 77.3. plan on doing a %20 water change tomorrow night.

7/18/17

pH: 6.4-6.6

Ammonia: 2ppm

Nitrites: <.25ppm

Nitrates: 30-40ppm

Temp: 77.3

Attachments

• IMG_20170719_011131185_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170719_011131185_HDR.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 88
Don't know what was going on last night with my post. Some of it appeared and some didnt. I'll retype it below to hopefully include all the info. Out of the tap my water is ~7.6. I'll get a pic of it straight out of the tap this evening.

Info from last night:

Also added some crushed coral with aragonite to the tank last night. pH was 6.0 or less and when I tested the water tonight it had come up to around 6.4-6.6 which I am glad to see to it coming up. Otherwise the test looked good so far. I dosed ammonia up to 2ppm, nitrites were <.25ppm, nitrates were 30-40ppm, and the temp was 77.3. plan on doing a %20 water change tomorrow night.

7/18/17

pH: 6.4-6.6

Ammonia: 2ppm

Nitrites: .25ppm or less

Nitrates: 30-40ppm

Temp: 77.3

Back
Top Bottom