10G Planted Tank Lighting....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blazeyreef said:
bs6749 said:
Why don't you think they will work Blazeyreef? I am guessing they do since other people say they have had success with them.
oh opps...I meant the links :oops:

Oh, ok...LOL.

Purrbox - So there are two types of fixtures? Incandescent vs. flourescent??? Or do you mean the style of bulbs: "type A" base or whatever vs. the tube shaped in normal aquarium hoods?

bs6749 said:
Purrbox - So there are two types of fixtures? Incandescent vs. flourescent??? Or do you mean the style of bulbs: "type A" base or whatever vs. the tube shaped in normal aquarium hoods?

There are two types of lighting fixtures that are commonly sold with 10 gallon tanks. The Incadescent Light Fixture has spots for two screw in incadescents which can be replaced with screw in compact flourescent like what is being discussed in this thread. The Flourescent Light Fixtures have end caps on either side to accept a single 15 watt Flourescent bulb with a pair of pins on each end.

There are many other fixtures available that can be bought for a 10 gallon tank, but these are never packaged with them that I have seen. For instance my 2x40 watt Current Satelite Fixture which uses Power Compact bulbs with pin connectors. You could also buy fixtures with T5 or Metal Halide bulbs if you were so inclined.

joannde said:
Yeah, I figured that out later - here's where you can buy them in packs of 2 - I went to the Lights of America website where they listed two retailers to sell to us "little people" LOL

http://www.esplighting.com/bulbs.html

Found out the bulbs are 2700k and not the 6500k. The model for the 6500k is 2220S, and not the 2220 like on that site.

Hmmmm, an idea has lit in my mind....
What if I bought a couple cases, and then opened my own little 10G planted tank light bulb store, lol. hmmmm......

Lonewolfblue said:
joannde said:
Yeah, I figured that out later - here's where you can buy them in packs of 2 - I went to the Lights of America website where they listed two retailers to sell to us "little people" LOL

http://www.esplighting.com/bulbs.html

Found out the bulbs are 2700k and not the 6500k. The model for the 6500k is 2220S, and not the 2220 like on that site.

Hmmmm, an idea has lit in my mind....
What if I bought a couple cases, and then opened my own little 10G planted tank light bulb store, lol. hmmmm......

OMG - so now I've bought the wrong lights again - guess they get added to my ever growing "wrong bulb" collection too ! LOL I don't see the other model on that website (nor the other retailer's on the Lights of America site).

If any does order a case I'm in for 4 15W bulbs. Who would have thought finding a lightbulb could be such a hassel !!!

JDogg said:
majolo said:
Well, the links you gave said:
Sold in case lots only
And it says enter number of cases to purchase. They seem to be a distributor, not a retailer. Have you bought from them?
hey fellow minnesotan... did you notice they are in Minnetonka? maybe we could go to there store...according to map quest they are like a 20 min drive from where i work :? maybe they have an actually store can you can buy them by the bulb there...

EDIT:
i think saturday i will try to find if they have an actual store.... maybe if someone is interested.... pm me... maybe i can send some to you without having ordering a case :?
that offer goes for everyone you know...if i find the store, i can pick up and ship to you, it saves you from ordering a case...

They stock the bulbs from the first three links in the Walmart near me, although it is a super walmart, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. They are not in the pet section, but back with all the other light bulbs. They come in packs of two. For anyone looking to buy these, I would suggest seeing if there is a super walmart within reasonable traveling distance from your house, and see if they'd have them, too. The color temperature of the ones I bought there in the store was 6500K, and the 15 watt bulb was 800 lumens.

I have to warn everyone, though, that the bulbs are short and fat. Most CF screw in bulbs I have seen are more narrow than these. It barely fits in the fixture for my 2 gallon hex tank, and the plastic base is actually touching the reflector. I am not sure if the higher watt bulbs are even larger or not, but it would be something worth thinking about before ordering a case of them!

TammyLiz said:
They stock the bulbs from the first three links in the Walmart near me, although it is a super walmart, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. They are not in the pet section, but back with all the other light bulbs. They come in packs of two. For anyone looking to buy these, I would suggest seeing if there is a super walmart within reasonable traveling distance from your house, and see if they'd have them, too. The color temperature of the ones I bought there in the store was 6500K, and the 15 watt bulb was 800 lumens.

I have to warn everyone, though, that the bulbs are short and fat. Most CF screw in bulbs I have seen are more narrow than these. It barely fits in the fixture for my 2 gallon hex tank, and the plastic base is actually touching the reflector. I am not sure if the higher watt bulbs are even larger or not, but it would be something worth thinking about before ordering a case of them!
how recently have you seen them at walmart... my understanding is the change over was in the last month or so... same with the homedepot near me...

Update - I got the bulbs I ordered online today - no issues with the service at all. Unfortunately LWB was right - those are the wrong bulbs.
BUT, I had to take a fast run into WalMart and they DID have the bulbs this time, so at least that hunt is over !

ok, so u dont actually need all that light, how far up can i go till i can expect to be safe from the algae, i just want to grow moss, and maybe some sort of other floor coverage for now, i have the 10w that i put in the canopy i have i am thinking of building one though. but do u think i will be ok with the fixture i have now?

I'd say that for low to medium light you'll want to aim for about 20-30watts.

onah said:
ok, so u dont actually need all that light, how far up can i go till i can expect to be safe from the algae, i just want to grow moss, and maybe some sort of other floor coverage for now, i have the 10w that i put in the canopy i have i am thinking of building one though. but do u think i will be ok with the fixture i have now?

If for a 10G with the screwins, 20W max. You will need CO2 with the 25W. I just can't keep algae away without CO2. But the tank with the 20W bulbs and no CO2, algae free. Just do my normal dosing routine, and all's good.

Back
Top Bottom