10g Tank - Attempts in aquascaping (10-19-06)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the complements.

I just looked at some of the old pictures and realized how huge the crypt lutea has gotten. I knew it had grown up, but it looks like it has moved out as well.

I'm going to have to start clipping back the sword too. It has always been too big for the tank, but I can't bear parting with it.

Well here is another update. I’ve been pretty embarrassed with how the tank has looked recently so I haven’t posted any pics in a while. I was gone for two weeks shortly after the last pics and the tank went into turmoil. I bottomed out on every fert, began growing fuzz algae, and had showings of staghorn algae.

Well I thought I had the problem licked, but then after letting my CO2 go for too long (DIY) levels must have dropped and the staghorn algae took off. I’ve also been running the tank without a lid on it, which I like, but the water level drops too fast and if I don’t add water daily my HOB turns into a waterfall and probably further reduces CO2 levels.

I did some searching and found a long thread with some heated discussions that must have taken place while I was gone. So instead of trying the peroxide or bleach to get rid of my problems I went with the “tiny hammers” method. I finally bought a python (overkill for a 10g :)) so that I could and would do larger water changes more often. I ripped up everything with a hint of staghorn algae on it. My crypt lutea went from taking up half of the tank to only being about 8-10 stems. I got rid of my red melon sword (too big) and replaced it with Limnophila hippuroides. The Limnophila hippuroides isn’t doing too well, but I’ve moved it to an area with more light, so I’m going to hope for the best on that one. The new growth (tops) are looking pretty good, so I’m thinking the plant will survive, but it may take a while to get it looking good.

Anyways, I’ve moved stuff around to where I want it. I actually have a foreground now. I think once it fills in it will look nice. Anyways, here’s a picture. It’s a little blurry, but I didn’t have time to get a good shot.

101806.jpg

ps. The foam on the filter is because I have fry in the tank. I also have two otos making their homes in there too.

Looks nice. I am sure it will grow in well. My only thought is a bigger peice of wood or a rock or two might make it more interesting looking.

I might try a piece of rock after it fills in some. I really don't know how it's going to turn out right now. The wood was fine when I had a plant taking up the other half of the tank, but the left side is really empty right now.

I did a CO2 test for the first time in months and I got about 45ppm out of DIY at the end of the day, so I think if I can keep that up I should be out of the algae game.

Back
Top Bottom