10k/Actinic bulb....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nevermore52

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone ever used a 50/50 10k/actinic bulb for a FW planted tank? I know the actinic is useless but would the 10k be suitable for a low maintenance tank?

The 10,000K is perfectly fine for growing plants. Because it's a 50/50 bulb, you'll find that your aquarium is going to have a distict blue cast. Some people like this look, while others don't.

Thats what i have IMO it brings out the colors of your fish(the actinic that is). And my plants are grwoing fine aswell

I specified to the builder of my new custom light that I wanted my MH bulbs to be 10,000K. I added atinic to create a more "blue" or "white" light color. I think it makes the plants and fish colors pop out more.

My dwarf neons look extremely blue under the atinics while my plants seem to be really really green.

I have a 10 gallon planted tank with that exact that same type of bulb. The neon tetras glow beautifully and my GBR looks great. Aside from that my plants need trimming often and seem to be doing amazing.

Back
Top Bottom