125 Gal Angel Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skai

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, my last tank build thread isn't really done and that's for a very simple reason. My fish out grew it faster than I had anticipated and I didn't work fast enough to have it all set up just the way I wanted it. I'll still keep it but I might have to re-work it after I finish this move.

Basically, what happened is this:

A few days ago one of my Koi Angels spawned. She didn't take up a boyfriend so they weren't fertile but she was chasing everyone away anyway like mommas are prone to doing. The tank however is not nearly big enough for them to be chasing each other away and indeed I was thinking I had to move them soon anyhow. So, I had to come to a decision about what to do. The eggs are now gone. I believe she ate them but the situation, I'm sure, will just repeat itself. And that's stress my fish don't need. I could theoretically get another 35 and separate my angels but I don't particularly want to do this. I like having a large group of them.

I thought, maybe a 55? But then I went... but I also have been wanting more angels... I do so love them...

So, I decided I'd go whole hog and get a much larger tank and skip the middle step. I'm sure I'd have had to upgrade again anyway so why spend even more setting up another tank I'll want to add more fish to?

Therefore, I've got a 125 gallon tank heading my way. It should arrive first and then the substrate should arrive a few days later. I've ordered myself some Eco-complete as well as a bit of Fluorite black sand to go on top. I think I ordered enough but if not I'll just make the mix more towards the eco-complete as I have a local supplier that has some of that as well and I'd rather have more of that than the sand to begin with. I consider sand mostly as a nice cap to the substrate.

I have to find a really nice piece of drift wood to go as sort of the 'center piece' of the tank and some rocks with character but I think my LFS should have something. They have a giant bin of wood in the front of their store I can rummage through. And rocks are... well everywhere.

I'm probably going to go for a nice big open middle area for the angels to swim around in and a bit more heavily planted in the back and on the sides. So far I've got a variety of amazon swords, some water sprite, and other fairly easy plants to make a nice arrangement out of. I didn't want to go with anything too exotic plant wise as I want to keep this rather low maintenance in terms of plant care at least. I'm probably going to have to upgrade the lights as the ones that came with the tank are probably not going to do it but I'll see what it comes with. The description only said 'hood with light' not very helpful but I was more interested in the fact it came with a stand than what was on top. I did not want to build my own stand for this behemoth.

I'll update this when I get my tank in which should be sometime early next week. I've never done a tank this big but I've always wanted one so I'm super excited. Also, I haven't quite decided on what filter(s) I'll put in this thing... I've always had HOBs but I'm not sure what to do with a tank of this size. Luckily my angels are fine for a little while longer in their current home so I can figure this out and not rush and make a mistake. Suggestions would be loved to the moon and back.

Wow! Monster tank! The angels will definitely appreciate the space. Be sure to post pics for us!

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow! Monster tank! The angels will definitely appreciate the space. Be sure to post pics for us!

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will definitely do so once I get it. And yes they'll be much happier when they don't have to put up with each other anymore lol.

So, I've been looking at different canister filters for my new tank. I've never used a canister before though so I'm sort of scratching my head. Anybody out there have a good trustworthy brand of canister that is easy to use? It's either that or get two huge HOBs... which I suppose would at least have the added benefit of if one clogs the other is still running... but I kind of want to keep the tank close to the wall so my cats can't slink back there like they are want to do.

Also I've been working out a stocking plan. Right now I have it slated for nine angels, two clown plecos, and five cory cats. That brings it up to 87% stock according to the stocking calc. Not sure if I should leave it a little understocked or see if I can find a small schooling fish that might add a little more interest. Or even if I should up it to three clown plecos. (I like the clowns because they stay smaller I don't need massive plecos).

Any thoughts on my fish stocking plan? I definitely won't be getting all of the angels at once. It'll probably be a few months with just my current four in there before I add any new angels.

My substrate came in today... a couple days before I had expected it honestly so now five or so big boxes are in my living room being climbed on and in by cats. Luckily the fishtank should be here in short order as well and I can start scaping it.

Also, on a side note... I had to rethink where I was putting this behemoth. Apparently where I first wanted to put it (in the living room) had termite damage around that area from a while back so there were weight concerns brought up by my father. Luckily, me and my mother worked out a new placement for it. The only hitch with that place is we're not sure how the circuits in that room are set up so we'll have to proceed carefully to make it so that running the tank doesn't trip the breaker. But at least the new place has concrete floors under it so weight won't be an issue. Anybody else have these sorts of problems?

Ah! The tank is here! And here is a picture of it in it's new place. Never is it moving I swear.... it's all glass not acrylic so it's insanely heavy. I was going to start scaping it tonight but... whew. I think I'll start that tomorrow. Only so much lifting and stuff I can do at once. Also, I understand it's a somewhat cramped placement but really it was the only way it worked at all.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 120
Monster alert! Tank looks great! I have no idea about filtration for a tank this size lol. Maybe just run a few HOB's and a big canister? I don't think angels have a huge bioload any way so you don't need to over filtrate. Can't wait to see the scape and seeing it flooded!

Monster alert! Tank looks great! I have no idea about filtration for a tank this size lol. Maybe just run a few HOB's and a big canister? I don't think angels have a huge bioload any way so you don't need to over filtrate. Can't wait to see the scape and seeing it flooded!

It depends on the food but a well fed Angel will produce some hefty poo with the wrong foods. Not Oscar sized hefty :brows: but hefty none the less. Angels do not really care for high water current so a better filtering system for there should be a canister filter with the intake on one end and the outflow on the other or using a sump for the major filtering. If that is not possible, make sure there are areas in the tank with low water flow. You should see your Angels hanging out there more often than not.

Hope this helps (y)

It depends on the food but a well fed Angel will produce some hefty poo with the wrong foods. Not Oscar sized hefty :brows: but hefty none the less. Angels do not really care for high water current so a better filtering system for there should be a canister filter with the intake on one end and the outflow on the other or using a sump for the major filtering. If that is not possible, make sure there are areas in the tank with low water flow. You should see your Angels hanging out there more often than not.

Hope this helps (y)

Yes, I went for the canister option I just haven't set it up yet as moving this monster sapped my energy for tonight, lol. I'll definitely make sure that the intake and outtake are on opposite sides though. That was my intention all along when I decided to go for the canister.

Yeah I ended up with the Fluval I think it's Fx5? Not the massive crazy one but one of the larger models. I need to look at the box again. But it should have enough umph for it I think.

Food for thought.

Consider leaving some space behind the tank anyways. You won't be able to move it full, and needing to get at least your hands behind it to route, re-route the canister tubing comes in handy. Ask me how I know!! :D

Love Angels. With nine you will certainly get a a pair or two. Paired up angels that lay eggs, become very territorial and mean! If you are not versed, begin reading about breeding angels!! :D Lots of stuff you can do to mitigate the issues, 125gallon tank is an excellent start!!

Can't wait for more pictures.

Food for thought.

Consider leaving some space behind the tank anyways. You won't be able to move it full, and needing to get at least your hands behind it to route, re-route the canister tubing comes in handy. Ask me how I know!! :D

Love Angels. With nine you will certainly get a a pair or two. Paired up angels that lay eggs, become very territorial and mean! If you are not versed, begin reading about breeding angels!! :D Lots of stuff you can do to mitigate the issues, 125gallon tank is an excellent start!!

Can't wait for more pictures.

Yeah, I left a little bit of room and I have room on either side so I can reach back from either side. I'm hoping I wont need to re-route too much, lol. Part of the reason I got this tank was that one of my angels spawned but didn't choose any of the others and chased the other three all over the place. The tank simply wasn't big enough for that mess so I went and quadrupled the size... >.> ma was soo happy... More pictures will be posted in just a sec.

PICTURES!!!

So this is my scape. Not sure if I'm entirely happy with the right side where the hill is but I really like the left. I might fiddle with the layout a bit more but for now this is how it is and until I get more/different stuff then I'll be keeping this layout. Of course, because I just finished setting it up it's still murky but not too bad. Hopefully it'll clear up in a day or two. As you can see in the first picture my cat seemed to be expecting something to already be in there. Lol he stared at it for a good four or five minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 86
Nice setup! And nice cat lol

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks!

Haha, yes, my cat adores watching fish. Luckily he hasn't tried to jump onto the tank or anything. Just watches it. Right now I'm sure the plants moving around has his attention. He loves hanging around when I'm doing water changes and stuff. He was a bit of a pain actually as he kept sticking his head into the bucket as I was planting things and such.

PICTURES!!!

So this is my scape. Not sure if I'm entirely happy with the right side where the hill is but I really like the left. I might fiddle with the layout a bit more but for now this is how it is and until I get more/different stuff then I'll be keeping this layout. Of course, because I just finished setting it up it's still murky but not too bad. Hopefully it'll clear up in a day or two. As you can see in the first picture my cat seemed to be expecting something to already be in there. Lol he stared at it for a good four or five minutes.

I have a tank that size.
Yours looks great, nice setup.
I will be very interested how it develops.

Awesome!

May I suggest something like Cryptocoryne undulata? Once settled in it becomes very thick and bushy. It could help fill in some open floor space.

Cryptocoryne balansae is another that will help fill up the floor once it's settled in.

Ask me how I know :)

My balansae takes up 1/3 of my 75g floor.

Caleb

So I have got the tank cycled now and the fish moved in. Just the four angels so far. They're chasing each other around a bit trying to feel out the territory I guess. Though one of the plants I put in there seems to be rotting. I thought all of the plants I got were fully submersible but I'll have to double check now. Anyway! Pictures! I also got a good picture of Gil the only confirmed gender in there. She's the female that prompted this by laying eggs and chasing everyone around the smaller set up.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 90
Awesome!

May I suggest something like Cryptocoryne undulata? Once settled in it becomes very thick and bushy. It could help fill in some open floor space.

Cryptocoryne balansae is another that will help fill up the floor once it's settled in.

Ask me how I know :)

My balansae takes up 1/3 of my 75g floor.

Caleb

Ooh, thank you. I'll have to look into them. I've been looking for some good floor covering plants.

Chemistry question

Alright, so as you can see this is a lot of water going on. 125 gallons worth of water with four angel fish and now 5 khuli loaches (I started with 10 for reference one has been moved to a different tank the others died I think due to this problem).

My issue seems to be in the Nitrates of my tank. They are climbing very high very quickly for seemingly no reason. The rest of my chemistry is all typical 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and the same ph as I always have which is about 7.5 (guessing since API master test is giving me somewhere between the two ph tests). But I do a 50% water change and test the Nitrates. The water is at about .5 ppm pretty good. But I test it the next day and it's skyrocketed up to pretty unmistakably orange to about I'd say 40 ppm or so. That seems an unusually high climb for twenty four hours without the stocking being particularly heavy. In fact the aquarium calculator says I have plenty of filtration and should only have to do about an 11% change of water per week. Any idea's of what's going on here? Doing large water changes daily is no way to have a tank going so I really need to figure this out.

Back
Top Bottom